Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does everyone insist the film is the end of the series?

Slashy

Well, yeah. It would be a good final for this show, for sure. As long as they could make it into something extra-ordinary, I'd be very much pleased.

Exactly. Let's not forget that G2 didn't have a TV show at all... And even though G2 wasn't particularly successful in the US, it ran for at least 6 years in Europe. If Hasbro managed to sell toys without an animated series back then, they can still do it today.

Remember that the internet and apps weren't as big as late 90s/early 2000s as they are now. Most kids play more with apps than toys these days 

I get all of the points about SpongeBob and Simpsons and whatnot declining in quality after an amazing movie, but I'm hoping if MLP does continue (which is a decision I'd personally be more than happy with) it won't go down that path. While patterns are there to suggest otherwise, every individual franchise is its own with its own path to take.

Maybe if they choose to go right into G4.5/5 they'll just do a timeskip so we'll see the Cake Twins and Flurry Heart as teens or adults? I mean, even if we remain in G4 they've built the world so well there are still so many storylines they could do. It's completely different from SpongeBob or The Simpsons. They don't have the immersive world or lore that MLP does, so it'd be hard for either of them to open up different storylines without it seeming shoehorned.

But MLP has all of these different areas, characters who we still know next to nothing about, relationship possibilities, staffing opportunities, etc. If any show would be able to continue and bring new elements to the table without it seeming like they're just pulling it out of thin air I think it's MLP.

At least FiM has that goin' for it. It's not like it has a shortage  of interesting characters that could exploit  :catface: , and a time skip to see the cakes and McFlurry grown up is just one of the few ways to go

It's a safe assumption to make. Most successful shows that don't become Franchise Zombies tend to end around 6 seasons. Also, most of the character arcs that were open since the first season are being closed now, with relatively few new ones to replace them. There is only so much more you can do with the current format of the show, even with status quo changes, before it begins to run out of ideas and starts resorting to rehashes and gimmicks. There is also precedent in feature movies being intended as series finales to cartoons.

People who say that the show can only continue for the franchise to continue to be profitable ignore the possibility of spinoffs or reboots to continue the FiM world without continuing FiM as it is, in addition to the publicity a new work could generate as opposed to running the same old thing ad infinitum.

I think the Mane6 will run out of steam soon, but as I stated, FiM has no shortage of good characters to exploit, nor lore and other stuff they could easily make a spinoff with. Even Equestria Girls as a mildly good idea for a spinoff, though less likely considering their progressively lower sales of their toys as the years went :huh: 

• Brohoof 1

I think the Mane6 will run out of steam soon, but as I stated, FiM has no shortage of good characters to exploit, nor lore and other stuff they could easily make a spinoff with. Even Equestria Girls as a mildly good idea for a spinoff, though less likely considering their progressively lower sales of their toys as the years went :huh:

I'm eager to see what sales are like when EQG4 rolls around; They originally seemed to think that the low sales were due to the movie format, but the fact that Friendship games didn't pick up sales yet the mini's DID torpedoed that theory of there's and seemed to indicate more low toy quality than anything.

Since the Minis seem to be doing incredibly well, I'm thinking that sales might stabilize by EQG 4, especially if they make the movie a good one. (the toys for LOE look less atrocious than the FG toys at least)

• Brohoof 1

Remember that the internet and apps weren't as big as late 90s/early 2000s as they are now. Most kids play more with apps than toys these days 

A thing just came to my mind... If Hasbro made a G5 app/mobile game instead of a proper TV show... What impact would it have on their toys sale? Could an app replace a good ol' cartoon in the future generation of Pony?

Let's just say, if Hasbro is still making money off of it, it will still still be running, after the movie and beyond. Same thing that happened with SpongeBob. I just hope the show doesn't change like SpongeBob did.

Havent they already confirmed multiple more seasons of the show though? Like doesnt that destroy this rumour?

You're definitely right on that. I just feel like people are worried.

As much as I very much enjoy season 6...I do wish the series will end soon so we can better appreciate the show...Not cringe it at. (Spongebob/Fairy Odd Parents)

But I love what the series has done...Like give the CMC cutie marks...Most children shows leave this type of stuff up to interpretation. I would've been so angry if the show ended off at season 3 like it was originally going to.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I honestly don't know why people think that. Movies didn't serve as the grand finale to previous gens in any of Hasbro's top-selling franchises. Then again it might be the last. Who's to say?

Edited by Leave a Whisper

Any true professional knows it's best to go out on top; MLP:FiM The Movie can do that.

I don't keep in check with MLP:FiM news so I'm not sure if they've said they're going to continue it, but why the need to continue the show if they can continue to generate cash from their line of toys. Let them go out with a bang. Also, I hope it ends with the movie, too. It would be a nice ending to the series.

Do they even generate a great amount of money from the actual show, anyway? Kudos to all the Bronies that simply stream the videos or downloads them without paying a penny, because I know I do. With that said, I can't see money being anything that says they must keep it going, but hay, that's just a theory.

There is so much untapped potential. Tons of new places to explore, tons of characters who haven't gotten nearly enough development. The show does have plenty it could potentially build off of... However, part of me is doubtful that it will. We had the excuse to go to a ton of new places with the Cutie Map, and it only got used a few times. Who knows whether the movie will end it or not, but if it doesn't, they really need to do a lot more with their world to keep it fresh. I will say, though, that all signs point towards me loving the movie, so I would love if the show ended on such a high note, rather than becoming unbearably stale.

• Brohoof 2

No, toys will keep selling like the older gen does. The show however, must end with a grand finale, for it is right for the great and powerful show, to end up remembered as being the greatest thing that ever happened to a man's life and mankind alike

• Brohoof 2

I reaaaaallllyyyyy hope the show doesn't end at the movie. I think it's quite possible though. It's been going for 6 years so it wouldn't be that shocking if it ended. Hasbro will also most likely continue selling toys after the show ends.

I think the movie is a way for the series to go out in a bang. But I really hope not, but things do look bad writers leaving the show...All the main 6 achieving their dreams...And by now I think they would have confirmed a season 7. But I hope it's not the end.

• 2 weeks later...

If hasbro pulled the plug on FiM and started to turn Equestria Girls into a replacement series as generation 5 is in the thinking process that would be a really genius idea. Expand upon a entirely different universe that was created from a spin off then give us something different once the Equestria girls (4.5 generation?) is over.

However we must always remember that sequels are also a possibility, if this movie does not put an end to FiM then a sequel most likely will.

(edited)

Horses make Hasbro money.

Hasbro: Milk it! Beat the dead horse to death and perform necromancy and beat the horse to death again, and then perform necromancy again and so forth." 

So, I don't think it's going anywhere. Just as long as it makes money. 

Even if the show ends, they will keep making ponies until the end of time.

Edited by Bendy

The movie will be just like Twilight's Kingdom, only x10 more intense, interesting, thrilling and emotional. Because it has Meghan McCarthy in it! Also, if it would be the ending, then I it will be very thrilling and make everyone cry out of emotion. If there would be Season 8, then after the movie people will pay attention to MLP even more, the fandom will grow very much and Season 8 hiatus and hype will kill the fans! But, if there wouldn't be Season 8 and if it is the ending for sure, then it means that after that there's going to be an infinite hiatus, because there's nothing to wait for, and it will make people even more sad and emotional as how good the show was and how great ending it had. SO yeah, I recommend the Movie to end the series, because continuing with nonsense and making it dull time to time and ending it very late and bad written (because by that time, the whole cast may change) and that's even worse. If the movie ends the series, people will have better and very good opinions and the show will leave a great trail after it. I'm counting on Meghan McCarthy to end the series very good, so that people can talk about MLP very much after its trail. 

Btw, if the writing cast would only contain Lauren Faust, Meghan McCarthy, M.A. Larson, Amy Keatin Rogers and Jayson Thiessen, then believe me, the show will be x20 better. These new writers are just abasing the Mane Six, especially Twilight.

Horses make Hasbro money.

Hasbro: Milk it! Beat the dead horse to death and perform necromancy and beat the horse to death again, and then perform necromancy again and so forth."

They're ending littlest pet shop as a cartoon despite it growing in toy sales, due to the cartoon having abysmal ratings once the hub died.

They did it with one series, there's a heavy precedent they'll do it with another girls series that's toys are growing but its series has bad ratings.

Additionally, Transformers is a good example of that not holding true: they'll reboot for all eternity, but they'll still kill a series or continuity in a HEARTBEAT if it shows even the slightest weakness (They're killing off robots in disguise before it even reaches 3 seasons for example)

MLP will no doubt be made into a new gen or rebooted, but we're kidding ourselves if we think FIM is untouchable: Because hasbro will never kill a Franchise but they'll kill continuities and series left and right.

• Brohoof 1

Mlp is one of the two franchises that makes hasbro a lot of money and it is the only one that is good so I don't think that hasbro would end the series that keeps the discovery family network alive because it is by far the best show on there

My Little Pony as a series won't end, but FiM clearly appears to be wrapping up. I mean, the Cutie Mark Crusaders getting their cutie marks and Rainbow Dash joining the Wonderbolts - those are very much series ending happenings.

• Brohoof 1

Well here are some points on why everyone is thinking this.

1. They have concluded many things in season 5 and 6 for instance the cmc getting their cutie marks Rainbow dash joining the wonderbolts.

2. the mane 6 have been more distant and are growing older. For instance Fluttershy's and Twilight's legs are longer wingspan is bigger on RD and such. The more distant part is their duties or jobs, Twilight is a princess so she will get caught up in her royal duties. RD is a wonderbolt which means she will start to travel. Rarity is getting more locations and is becoming a bigger business which leads to traveling and managing all of them. I expect AJ to own the farm at some point and Fluttershy to have some type of animal business. Pinkie pie will own Sugarcube Corner at some point as well.

3. Hasbro asked the fans to help them with season 6 which means they are running out of ideas

That's it

I woukd also like to theorize that the plot of the movie could possibly be a time travel plot where they travel to the future to find their future selves and try to fix their friendship in the future idk just a theory

By the time the movie comes out, Equestria as a whole will already have defeated an all-powerful ancient Sith warlord, his Death Star, and his infinite army (that one requires blowing up a control ship). This Big Bad will pull a Spectre-style retcon like SRW Alpha's Euzeth Gozzo did, revealing that he was behind every major antagonist of the series. His destruction at the end of perhaps the most epic final battle in the history of animated film renders Equestria safe forever. Equestria will never need any help for any threat again after this.