Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

An art style opinion

Onylex

Opinion on this style  

15 users have voted

1. 1. Do you find this art style appealing?

• Love it!
    • Like it.
    • Meh. (not bad but, not what I like personally)
    • Could use some work.
    • Nope, not a fan.
    • Hate it.

Hello there forum ppl.

So I'm really struggling to find an art style that not only I like and, fits me but also works well.

For me an art style that works well, is one that others can connect to and find appealing in one way or another.

I would really appreciate any feedback given to me in this thread on the subject. (positive or negative)

I'm more or less trying to see if I'm headed in the right direction with this style.

Many thanks in advanced.  :rarity: 

~Silver out! 

ecy4BMu.png

h7nIdWO.jpg

• Brohoof 7

@, I know that pain of searching for a style or being unsure of make to make of the current one, haha. :grin: I'm still trying to figure out a new one for myself that can go a bit further, or look a bit nicer.

Anyways, umm. Honestly I think almost any style will find fans or look great in its own right, so long as you practice and develop it well. I will say that the somewhat more realistic styles of ponies seem to overall be a bit less popular than the more cartoonish/cute proportioned ponies. However, it also seems to have its fans too, and a number of artists I really like go that direction with their ponies, so really it's just a choice. Heck, I find the realism of it is actually a major pro in many cases.

The rough/painterly style has worked pretty well too I believe, especially when you can get a nice level of detail, flow, and depth out of the messy appearance. I can't fully judge where you're at without seeing more of your art, but I believe you could already do some quite solid work in this style--though I suspect further down the line is where it would really stand out. Right now it looks a little too conflicted in its messiness, at least in this particular image anyways. I do still quite like it though.

Don't quite know what else to say here, haha. :rarity:  I like it, but can't say definitively what to make of it, especially since I don't know your own preference or goal. :fluttershy: I think you can establish a connection and appeal through a varied number of styles, and it's hard to judge what to aim for in that. Though, I think expressiveness and depth/impact is huge for that, quite often.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I can definitely see that you've got a really great artistic flow and the start of a very unique style, which is fantastic! Honestly, the only real suggestion I can give you is actually to stop actively looking for a style. Your hand is going to want to do something that your eyes might disagree with, but you'll find in time that it's better to trust your hands more than your eyes because your eyes are impressionable and will want to draw with too much influence from another artist's work. It's totally alright to play around with different methods occasionally, because you might find that it comes more naturally than what you already do, but if you force out a style it just won't help you reach a place where your style is entirely your own.

Your current style is very pretty. It's got a lot of direction and the anatomy is pretty good from what I can see, but this is an outside opinion and ultimately only you can make the decision to be happy with your style.

Edited by Tealeaf
  • Brohoof 1

Honestly, I think that your art style is beautiful! I love the way you do your lines and the brushes that you use for it. The eyes are absolutely gorgeous as well, in my opinion. ;v;

I always have trouble coming up with a style I'm comfortable with, and making sure that I really like. I'm still trying to figure that out and develop my style into something I will love in the future. It just takes lots of time, I think! c:

• Brohoof 1

@, I know that pain of searching for a style or being unsure of make to make of the current one, haha. :grin: I'm still trying to figure out a new one for myself that can go a bit further, or look a bit nicer.

Anyways, umm. Honestly I think almost any style will find fans or look great in its own right, so long as you practice and develop it well. I will say that the somewhat more realistic styles of ponies seem to overall be a bit less popular than the more cartoonish/cute proportioned ponies. However, it also seems to have its fans too, and a number of artists I really like go that direction with their ponies, so really it's just a choice. Heck, I find the realism of it is actually a major pro in many cases.

The rough/painterly style has worked pretty well too I believe, especially when you can get a nice level of detail, flow, and depth out of the messy appearance. I can't fully judge where you're at without seeing more of your art, but I believe you could already do some quite solid work in this style--though I suspect further down the line is where it would really stand out. Right now it looks a little too conflicted in its messiness, at least in this particular image anyways. I do still quite like it though.

Don't quite know what else to say here, haha. :rarity:  I like it, but can't say definitively what to make of it, especially since I don't know your own preference or goal. :fluttershy: I think you can establish a connection and appeal through a varied number of styles, and it's hard to judge what to aim for in that. Though, I think expressiveness and depth/impact is huge for that, quite often.

I can definitely see that you've got a really great artistic flow and the start of a very unique style, which is fantastic! Honestly, the only real suggestion I can give you is actually to stop actively looking for a style. Your hand is going to want to do something that your eyes might disagree with, but you'll find in time that it's better to trust your hands more than your eyes because your eyes are impressionable and will want to draw with too much influence from another artist's work. It's totally alright to play around with different methods occasionally, because you might find that it comes more naturally than what you already do, but if you force out a style it just won't help you reach a place where your style is entirely your own.

Your current style is very pretty. It's got a lot of direction and the anatomy is pretty good from what I can see, but this is an outside opinion and ultimately only you can make the decision to be happy with your style.

Honestly, I think that your art style is beautiful! I love the way you do your lines and the brushes that you use for it. The eyes are absolutely gorgeous as well, in my opinion. ;v;

I always have trouble coming up with a style I'm comfortable with, and making sure that I really like. I'm still trying to figure that out and develop my style into something I will love in the future. It just takes lots of time, I think! c:

@@SFyr

Yeah sorry, there's actually a reason I didn't throw tuns of my artwork in this thread. Its mostly because the current work that  Iv posted here is one of the doodles that more accurately represents my quote "current art style" un-quote.  I guess another fairly okay example of my current art style can be found here(if you're at all curious.)

Although, I do agree with you in the idea that; any art style can gain a following or catch the appreciation of others if its well developed and practiced enough. Something that I'm striving for in terms of style is definitely having someone be able to notice my work without knowing that its my art directly. I don't know if that makes any real scene but, its sort of like being able to spot out a particular artist primarily though there style alone. 

As if I were to not know you or your name but, am able to see that any artwork you make is uniquely your own due to noticing the type of style you emboss in your work. (like a custom signature that isn't a signature). 

====================================================================================================

@@Tealeaf

Well, in truth I don't really know if I should actively pursue creating an art style or if its something that you can inherently do. Possibly its a little of both. Of course, this probably varies from person to person but, I wouldn't be able to say for sure.

The video I'v posted below kind of goes into that and, was some what helpful but; it also left me a bit confused as to how exactly you find a style.  

==========================================================================================================================================

@@PrincessWubsy

Thanks, that actually means quite a bit. Gives me a little more confidence in moving forward.  :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

I think Juicy Ink's explanation is really nice, personally. I used to have a really forced style because I had this perceived perception of what I wanted to create. My art style now is MUCH more developed, and that's because I stopped making myself do something that my hand didn't naturally want to do. I sometimes use techniques I've learned from other artists, but only if I don't have to force it.

• Brohoof 1

Well its a good pieace of art.. but i tend to like mor cortoonish and simpler designs and drawing styles. but i know alot of people injoy this kind of design. so its just my personal attraction there is something wrong with :3 keep up the good work.

• Brohoof 1