Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Official G5 2D art style revealed!

phantompone1148

6 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

So that was a case of laziness on the part of the animators.  I mean, it was always that, but I figured half cutie marks were going to be canon now.  Way to make one particular aesthetic element in the movie look lazy.  It was FiM's job to do that.  

I think they did that because double sided cutie marks didn't look as good in 3d so it was a design choice I think

• Brohoof 1

Izzy looks like Fluttershy. I am not such a big fan of designs that are directly taken from previous generations. Also, I don't know the source of these drawing. I am waiting until we get the real official art before judging.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I don't like it at all, it's too cartoonish, I preferred by far even the style of the G4, in the movie the quality was beautiful, like a Pixar movie or something, the pony's mane, the graphics gave more depth to the character, I liked it a lot, they were really beautiful like that, I don't know, I don't like it, I think, we'll see later, but I'm not a big fan, only Hitch is beautiful, the rest I can't get hooked, especially Sunny she seems very small and flat, and Izzy was so cute in the movie with her cheeks and her long wavy hair, quite disappointed if the quality is like that, it makes me not want to watch, I would have liked to a rigor that delays the graphics of the G4 😬

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Stardust said:

I think they did that because double sided cutie marks didn't look as good in 3d so it was a design choice I think

Hmmm...I don't know if I should believe them on that.  It would have literally just been an identical mark on the other flank.  I figured when watching the movie that it was a calculated design choice to make the TY pushies not look lazy, but if this 2D style with a cutie mark on both flanks ends up being used for the show, they will still look lazy.  

• Brohoof 1

it isnt too bad, however especially with how the new movie turned out, if they were to make a series involving the new ponies and using this said style, i feel like it would be over animated in a way and rrly dumbed down :/ i have mixed feelings :mlp_maud:

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-01-03 at 11:49 PM, AlbaTross said:

So that was a case of laziness on the part of the animators.  I mean, it was always that, but I figured half cutie marks were going to be canon now.  Way to make one particular aesthetic element in the movie look lazy.  It was FiM's job to do that.  

I'd been hoping that whatever happened to make ponies hate each other also involved them getting the ability to have telekinesis on anything near their front hooves, and also made their cutie-marks one-sided.  I.e. I was hoping the style choice would turn into more worldbuilding :/

On 2022-01-04 at 5:54 PM, Vivooush said:

Honestly I don't like it at all, it's too cartoonish, I preferred by far even the style of the G4, in the movie the quality was beautiful, like a Pixar movie or something, the pony's mane, the graphics gave more depth to the character, I liked it a lot, they were really beautiful like that, I don't know, I don't like it, I think, we'll see later, but I'm not a big fan, only Hitch is beautiful, the rest I can't get hooked, especially Sunny she seems very small and flat, and Izzy was so cute in the movie with her cheeks and her long wavy hair, quite disappointed if the quality is like that, it makes me not want to watch, I would have liked to a rigor that delays the graphics of the G4 😬

I kind of like it and kind of don't, myself.  What worries me is that they'll be...minimalistic in how the ponies move.  Like, their faces will be near-motionless except for their mouths; for some reason that makes me think they'll be creepy with this 2D animation style.

I'm very much hoping I'm wrong about that!

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-01-06 at 6:06 PM, HereComesTom said:

I'd been hoping that whatever happened to make ponies hate each other also involved them getting the ability to have telekinesis on anything near their front hooves, and also made their cutie-marks one-sided.  I.e. I was hoping the style choice would turn into more worldbuilding :/

Making in-universe sense is effort I would have appreciated.  Personally, if I had to come up with an in-universe explanation, I figured it had to do with the magic deficiency everypony experienced as a result of living without the majority of their magic.  My headcanon is that magic and pony physiology are inextricable, to the point where it seems unlikely a pony could live without at least a little magic in them, and indeed, even the presence of half-cutie marks confirms that the ponies weren't completely void of magic, as that's a phenomenon that shouldn't otherwise be possible, period.

For the real-world reasoning though, I assumed it was simply to cover up the laziness of TY plushies.  Now, they're actually movie accurate.  Hooray!  You can tell that I've always preferred the Olyfactory plushies.  Thankfully the new 2D art is out, so that if they start making G5 plushies, they can base them on that.  

• Brohoof 2

I think the style is cute. I am surprised but also not surprised that 2D is being used rather than 3D.

• Brohoof 2

This art style is pretty cool, and I wouldn't mind this being the animation style the show gets. While it isn't as good as G4's animation in my opinion, I still think this is a solid style and has the potential to be animated very well. While the movie's 3D animation was pretty good, I doubt the show would be near that quality if 3D, so for the official animation style to be 2D would be great. Plus, I like that the cutie marks appear to be back on both sides like they were in G4.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, CorvetteZora said:

Esto es realmente bueno. Me encanta cómo se basa en el estilo de la película G4 , ya que ese estilo estaba un poco infrautilizado en el pasado.

I agree, the G4 movie style is SO cute!! I would like a pony series with the mentioned artstyle, not the probably 3D show that we will have this year.

• Brohoof 2

On 2022-01-28 at 11:51 PM, Splashee said:

Still thinking they will go with 3D since they already have the assets for the ponies. Why redesign the ponies again? This is not G6. :wacko:

Probably cheaper to make a 2D TV show than 3D.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

they aren't very original since they copy G4.

Copy is good. G4 has a lot to offer when it comes to good design that works!

• Brohoof 2