Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ILoveKimPossibleALot

SteveMorison

Honestly monetization kinda ruins the analysis community. For me, analysis is about finding the show's implications and subtexts and bringing them to the surface, and discussing what they mean. Why does Discord do all of his bullshit in Three's a Crowd, and what does that have to do with Make New Friends etc.? How do I form a consistent character arc for Trixie across all three of her episodes? How does Lost Treasure of Griffonstone totally re-contextualize Griffon the Brush off, and provide a background for Gilda's behavior? Analysis can answer these questions, and more.

But that kind of chin-stroking intellectualism doesn't grab views, and it sure as hell doesn't maximize view time. If you've ever checked out in-depth analytics on Youtube, you know viewer retention always follows a curve of exponential decay, the only difference being rate of decay. This means that a small difference in viewers lost early on can balloon to a pretty huge difference down the road. And here is where the most important rule of journalism comes in: "bad news is good news." Simply put, positivity doesn't grab attention, and nuance gets boring real fast. You squeeze those couple extra retained viewers out with the negativity up front. This leads the analysis community to see themselves less as plumbers of the show's depths, and more as critical reviewers, whose goal is to point out every flaw in every episode before limp-wristedly throwing out a few things they liked towards the end of the video.

It's also created a culture of constant content, because Yahoo's analytics only care about the current month, and how that's doing compared to the month prior, and if any metric has a little red arrow (including dislikes), that's a problem, and the best way to get red arrows (as I know from experience) is to neglect to release content at a constant rate. So it's a video a week or die. This leads to exhaustion on the part of the creator, and can result in the kind of situation the reviewer community finds itself in with KP. In a way, I kind of pity her. She put the vinyl siding on her house, but the structure was built by the culture she joined. Either way, she has to live in it until the mortgage is paid off.

Wow! I am glad I have never really liked her. I have always disliked her, mostly because I disagreed with pretty much every one of her opinions and found her content boring and horrible, but now I actually have a reason to dislike her a person.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

It's sad how people with little to no creative talent can still control the people that do with this stupid internet fame. Animators, voice actors, editors, musicians, and other creative types spend their free time perfecting their craft, while other people just throw whatever lowest common denominator crap they can spout out the window and people pick it up.

It creates this inescapable series of events that always leads to the creative types practically selling their soul to the popular people for exposure.

To all animators, VAs, musicians, whatever. Just stop, don't even bother. Never accept "exposure" as legal tender. These "Horse Famous" people can give you hard cash, or else they can screw off. You're much better off producing your own content with your fellow man. If nothing else, you'll spend time doing what you love, which is more than people working for these ego-maniacs can say.

Edited by SolyWack
  • Brohoof 2

Some analysts treated me like garbage. They didn't care if I was the one doing the hard work, that I was having a hard time in life or that my projects were not as good as I hoped because I had problems on my way. No, it was all about being a personality. I didn't want to be a personality; I have a stupid accent, I don't have any vocal range and I have a boring face. I just want to make stuff move to move people.

As someone who prefers to be in the background facilitating a project and playing a supporting role, I seriously understand where you are coming from. I have little patience when people marginalize the efforts of others. It all comes down to treating individuals like part of a team. People skills and empathy are important. You see, this is one of those skills that I do see in short supply and it puts people off of being part of something like contributing to a YouTube series. 

Okay, I've gone and subjected myself to some of ILoveDiscordKimPossibleALot's content, and I have to say...

She's f****** boring. Why is... How'd she get any kind of famous? She basically relies on others for practically EVERYTHING, and she's automatically the least entertaining - and least talented - part of anything she's involved with. It's one thing if several people collaborate on a project and everyone brings something to the table. It's another thing if the inexplicably central character or personality (and she has none to speak of) has nothing to offer of his or her own. I would call her the Adam Sandler of the fandom, but at least Sandler recognizes talent when he sees it and gives his friends a leg up where he can.

KPs special talent is advertising, combine that with an above average video quality and quantity and she is guaranteed to become popular.

She even advertises herself during other panels. https://youtube.com/watch?e=&v=A6e9vjkawgo (31:00 in)

1. I see a lot of name calling on this thread. Regardless of how you feel it is not in good taste to just call someone who you most likely dont know a bitch. 

2. I am not too sure who it even is, in my opinion all the idea of fandom popular people is dumb to start with. like Oh my you made a video about something you like!! specially because most reviewers are quite terrible, they think wayyy to deep into the show. but whatevers more power on them i guess.

If you ask me, she is just a businessperson who does what it takes to get a paycheck at the end of the day. I've always been rubbed the wrong way by her. I honestly wouldn't care if her channel suddenly dropped in popularity, because then everyone would see what happens when the motivation of money goes away if she still creates. I'm pretty sure she talked about this issue in A Moment With Doctor Wolf.

Here it is:

https://youtu.be/ED_i6jGhuiU?list=PL4flTJfGvAgeDRjZU7TzALH-i0_GIFVMH

I watched that in a whole new light.

• Brohoof 4

It seeems that this horsefamous youtuber is not who she seems. Artists, voice actors and editors who have worked for KP in the past are now coming out with their experiences of extortion. They would be punished for not being able to reach deadlines or attend meetings for her projects, even when work or school are a legitimate excuse, she has a way of roping her staff to end up doing far more work than she initially promised,using her "horsefame" to pressure lesser known artists into unrealistic expectations, who are tricked into thinking that working with KP will lead to more exposure, when in reality they were largely ignored when it came to credit for her projects. She's also in the past stolen assets from DHX for her artwork, as well as assets from other artists for her OC. There are artists such as Minty Root and Wubcake now coming out with their experiences of how badly treated KP's staff have been. More can be read about it here https://mobile.twitter.com/AnonKPLeaks?max_id=756880575709839360, this link provides people providing email and documental proof of KP's antics.

Admin, if this post breaks any defamatory laws connected with this site then I apologise and will accept the consequences.

Wow she made a company out of it ?

This is a reminder for everyone: While it is fine to discuss issues regarding members of the fandom, disparaging comments and name-calling will NOT be tolerated here. Any such instance caught will dealt with in appropriate fashion. Rule #1 remains in effect for both members and non-members here.

Tolerate and love everypony. While we don't quite mean this in the literal sense, we do ask that you remain respectful of other people's opinions and realize that they are, at the end of the day, just opinions rather than grounds for declaring thermonuclear war. Don't flame, don't troll, and you'll be fine. We realize this can be difficult when somebody else attacks you first, but please report them instead. Responding in kind will only get you in trouble along with them and possibly make the whole situation worse for everyone else present when it happens. People want to reply to topics casually, not walk on eggshells around two other bickering members. See this and this.

Thank you.

Addendum: Any links to any disparaging articles, comments and unacceptable name-calling will be subject to inspection. Again, it's an issue that deserves attention but there's a line that shouldn't be crossed.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

The more and more I think about this subject the more the word "horse famous" makes me want to puke into my mouth a little.

Edit: Ok I was lying, I meant to say a lot, a lot of disgusting puke.

Edited by HeavyWeaponsBaby
  • Brohoof 3

Honestly this is a side effect to idol worship. This fandom makes a lot of people "famous" by its standards and when you make regular fans famous they aren't always that humble. It sounds like Kim here needs a lesson in humble pie, but given that she's already had success and probably generated a profit already, I am doubting that will happen. Many people sadly see this fandom as nothing more than an attempt to quickly cash in.

The latest leak and responses regarding the shared doc actually just makes me irritated. Sharing a Google Doc file for review and edits is a common and accepted practice, yet it is being labeled as another 'slave' job ... or proof that the analyst isn't genuine in her apology.

Attribution of efficiency and internal team transparency as plagerism/slave driving is absurd hyperbole. If they stopped at questioning whether a fandom project should have this much organization, then I would be able to accept the argument as at least justified.

As of now, AnonKPLeaks has lessened their credibility, integrity, and (in my opinion) my view of their critical thinking skills specific to journalistic strategy. This whole thing now smacks of an attempt to keep the story going.

I actually am on the side of her team when it comes to communication issues and how she credits her team, but I can tell smear propaganda when I see it.

• Brohoof 5

I really think that since KP doesn't ACTUALLY care about what is going on, the best course of action now is to lend her a helping hand in case she wants a second chance at making friends in our community. Punishing KP isn't going to get you a sincere apology, it won't get you a permanent change of behavior, and it just seems wrong.

If we want to show that we actually follow the teachings of the show, then we should be ready to help KP when she is ready. If she isn't ever ready, then we'll know she cannot get past her extreme narcissism.

• Brohoof 1

the best course of action now is to lend her a helping hand

It looks as though that's kind of been the problem from the get-go: Some well-meaning - albeit somewhat naive - individuals who wanted to help KP realize her dreams of "meh" self-insert animations and analysis vids.

Your heart's in the right place, but it's not unusual for a good heart to be taken advantage of.

If she isn't ever ready, then we'll know she cannot get past her extreme narcissism.

x )

• Brohoof 2

I think this is a case of people needing to take personal responsibility.

lIke I said in a recent skype chat 

For KP, I do think she is expecting a bit much for free labor. Having seven page long contracts and hounding people for deadlines with no compensation isn't going to win anyone over.

HOWEVER: People chose to get into this with her and ignored the warning signs such contracts and deadlines hold. I have first hand experience in wanting to jump into a deal with another person just cause I liked them and willfully ignoring the warning signs they were giving off... Its a terrible feeling when the reality of your situation sets in, but you do have to take responsibility that you put yourself in that position in the first place. 

People are calling what KP does slave labor. That's not really accurate. The people weren't forced to be there, they WANTED to be there and they ignored anything bad cause they wanted to work on something big and shiny. 

To be more accurate, she doesn't seem to be grateful (from what I've gathered anyway) that so many people were willing to help her, and she instead made it so that they were doing it as a sense of obligation or internship instead of a friendly collaborative project. Her demanding attitude and unrealistic expectations are what ended up being what churned this whole mess up. 

That being said, The people who are publicly doxing her and making all this private info completely visible are in the wrong here. KP definitely should have learned some humility and perhaps learned to take more of the workload for herself since they are HER projects, but its not like they were being held there at gunpoint by her. They chose to stay there cause they thought it would further their careers and make them horsefamous. If that is all they wanted out of it, then they chose poorly and instead should have worked on their own projects. 

People were not held at gunpoint to do this, they chose to do it despite all the warning signs because they thought it was a quick route to "horse-fame"

KP isn't in the right, but she sure as hell doesn't deserve to be doxxed and hounded for OTHER peoples decisions. Peeps need to take personal responsibility. 

• Brohoof 5

Wow for a fandom for a show based around friendship I'm seeing so much hate it makes me sick. And sadly most of it sounds like "I don't like her videos so I'm gonna take this chance to hate on her". You're not gonna like every youtuber, chill.

As for your actual reasoning, there's very little fact in there. Sure she's a little greedy, who isn't? And most people that have been wronged are gonna take it way out of proportion. Also by the looks of it, that document gave them all the info they needed if they were paying attention. Don't just sign things and complain that you didn't read it.

So no, KP isn't perfect. But you know what? Neither are you, neither am I, no one is.

• Brohoof 3

well, she's not the only one that steals hasbro's property, pretty much anyone who makes a plushy or video or picture with ponies to make money is stealing.

you got to love her corporate level non disclosure agrement though

I really think that since KP doesn't ACTUALLY care about what is going on, the best course of action now is to lend her a helping hand in case she wants a second chance at making friends in our community. Punishing KP isn't going to get you a sincere apology, it won't get you a permanent change of behavior, and it just seems wrong.

If we want to show that we actually follow the teachings of the show, then we should be ready to help KP when she is ready. If she isn't ever ready, then we'll know she cannot get past her extreme narcissism.

I'm sorry but didn't the show have an episode where Rarity tried to be generous to someone and it bit her in the ass? I'm pretty sure the lesson there is don't help people who treat you rotten. If ILKPAL is going to treat her staff like this, the only sensible thing to do is not to watch her content, thus deny her revenue so she learns her lesson. Continuing to pretend nothing happened is just going to encourage her. It's basically handing her a check and hoping she'll just randomly have a change of heart. There's a difference between being caring and being foolish and naive.

People were not held at gunpoint to do this, they chose to do it despite all the warning signs because they thought it was a quick route to "horse-fame" KP isn't in the right, but she sure as hell doesn't deserve to be doxxed and hounded for OTHER peoples decisions. Peeps need to take personal responsibility. 

Agreed. What needs to happen is simple: don't watch her content, deny her revenue. That's as far as it needs to go. 

(edited)

well, she's not the only one that steals hasbro's property, pretty much anyone who makes a plushy or video or picture with ponies to make money is stealing.

you got to love her corporate level non disclosure agrement though

It is more of a grey area than company property.

I'm sorry but didn't the show have an episode where Rarity tried to be generous to someone and it bit her in the ass? I'm pretty sure the lesson there is don't help people who treat you rotten. If ILKPAL is going to treat her staff like this, the only sensible thing to do is not to watch her content, thus deny her revenue so she learns her lesson. Continuing to pretend nothing happened is just going to encourage her. It's basically handing her a check and hoping she'll just randomly have a change of heart. There's a difference between being caring and being foolish and naive.

I was comparing her situation more to Sunset and Starlight than to Suri Polomare. I mean Sunset wasn't threatened with a prison sentence if she didn't try to make friends. I was saying all help would be contingent on meeting all of AnonKPLeaks' demands.

You cannot deny someone revenue who doesn't MAKE any revenue. Her videos are not monetized, and any revenue she does make goes to charity. Ignoring her would not change anything, she essentially creates a feedback loop with her aggressive advertising that allows her to appear more important than she actually is thus giving her the sense of entitlement that brings about the negative impression she makes on others.The backlash helped to break free of that loop. I think that people knowing that KP was using this fandom to fuel her illusions of grandeur is a good thing, everything else just feels petty.

Edited by Slashy

I was comparing her situation more to Sunset and Starlight than to Suri Polomare. I mean Sunset wasn't threatened with a prison sentence if she didn't try to make friends. I was saying all help would be contingent on meeting all of AnonKPLeaks' demands.

She did a bad thing, if she truly wishes to redeem herself, she should take the punishment and attempt to atone. I for one never really liked her content and I will continue not to watch it. If she improves her content, treats her staff better people will give her another chance, but she doesn't deserve one simply "because".

You cannot deny someone revenue who doesn't MAKE any revenue. Her videos are not monetized, and any revenue she does make goes to charity.

Probably gets money some other way. Either way, she doesn't deserve attention if she treats her crew like that. She is paid in this case in attention, do not give it to her, simple as that.

Ignoring her would not change anything, she essentially creates a feedback loop with her aggressive advertising that allows her to appear more important than she actually is thus giving her the sense of entitlement that brings about the negative impression she makes on others.The backlash helped to break free of that loop. I think that people knowing that KP was using this fandom to fuel her illusions of grandeur is a good thing, everything else just feels petty.

Thus we shouldn't pay her any mind and continue not watching her content. 

I have zero pity for the artists because they are the ones who worked for free of their own free will, nopony forced them to work, they could stop and walk away at any time.

it's not like KP promised to pay them money and then didn't they knew they was not going to get paid from the start and they are the ones who put forth all the free work and art.

so again i have zero pity for people who willingly work for free and then later complain about it because nopony forced them to do it and they could stop at anytime

• Brohoof 2

It is more of a grey area than company property.

You cannot deny someone revenue who doesn't MAKE any revenue. Her videos are not monetized, and any revenue she does make goes to charity. Ignoring her would not change anything, she essentially creates a feedback loop with her aggressive advertising that allows her to appear more important than she actually is thus giving her the sense of entitlement that brings about the negative impression she makes on others.The backlash helped to break free of that loop. I think that people knowing that KP was using this fandom to fuel her illusions of grandeur is a good thing, everything else just feels petty.

Yeah as if her wearing dark shades in that big anylist group phot wasn't a big enough hint of her ego.  But yeah always did kind of see her 'oh look at me" attute from the gate.

• Brohoof 1

A web article I read from Horse News talked about it..

Horse News handled the ILoveKimPossible a lot controversy so poorly. Horse News was childish, disrespectful, and did not handle reporting this sensitive information very well.

The controversy seems so out of hand at this point.

It is wrong what KP did, but still.