Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Autism problems

tailsprower

Yes, I know, Autism problems is on tumblr.

1. "You're not autistic. You're smart."

2.When you tap your foot, and people think you're rude.

3.When people just wont stop talking, and you can't think.

4.When you can't make a decision.

Do you know what I mean?

• Brohoof 2

Oh #1, I have met that numerous times. That is immensely frustrating to me. To me is just screams extreme disregard.

With 2, I tap my feet a lot, but nobody has ever said anything to me about it really. So I guess I am lucky in that regard.

3, This is more of the opposite for me. I already have trouble thinking and with me, the problem is that when I start talking, sometimes I just don't shut up. My boyfriend has had to endure this a lot form me. XD

And 4, this is all the time for me. My decision making skills are abysmal and they are actually getting worse with time it seems, thanks also to my anxiety problems.

• Brohoof 1

I can kind of understand why people can't immediately tell I am on the Autism Spectrum, but #1 is just outright condescending. People see a glimpse of who I am now but not all the years of struggle it took to get there. For #2 it is not so much foot tapping for me but a few other things like rocking back and forth when I am sitting down, as well as certain other social tics are things people sometimes mistake as me being rude.

#3 is one of the many reasons why I made the recent decision to step down into a lower positions at work which is really just a step to help my eventual transition into another job. I have been in the grocery industry a long time and much of that time has been spent as a dairy clerk, but I have been relied on to serve as a backup checker more and more, fewer employees are expected to do more in general to the point where nothing gets done and it is more aggravation than it is worth. They can find another sucker to do my job because, it not worth it anymore. Everything will work out in part thankfully to number 4 not being too much of an issue with me, but that decision was a long time coming.

Edited by Shanks
  • Brohoof 1

One major issue i have with autism is i worry its NOT okay to be girly, and it might lead me to hurting others. And i think theres these evil spirits named 'soul snatchers' that FEED off innocence. Come to think of it, they sound kind of like the changelings....

• Brohoof 2

My biggest thing is when someone interrupts my process. Certain things I've "streamlined" into a process, much like a program, that helps me make sure I do it all correctly without forgetting anything, or having to think of every detail. And then when someone interrupts it, and I miss some important part, or forget what I was doing entirely.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, I know, Autism problems is on tumblr.

1. "You're not autistic. You're smart."

2.When you tap your foot, and people think you're rude.

3.When people just wont stop talking, and you can't think.

4.When you can't make a decision.

Do you know what I mean?

1. Only around 30% of people with Autism are intellectually disabled: the vast majority of Autistics are either of average or above average intelligence. People should know better than to say something patronizing to a disabled person. On the other hand, I've met plenty of other non-Autistic disabled people who've had the same experience, so I suppose I can take some solace in knowing this isn't a problem unique to Autistics. Society in general needs to become more accepting of disabled people.

2. I'm not trying to be rude when I'm tapping my foot or rocking my head back and forth, I'm just trying to think.

3. If you don't want me to tap my foot while I'm thinking, please be quiet for a second.

4. The only thing worse than not being able to make a decision is when you can't make a decision and you've got a line of people waiting behind you.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 2

I don't really consider myself autistic (I'm an attack helicopter), others would though. So I'd say one of the problems, although all of the OP ones would be you know. Not there but there, I'm often zoned out appearing like I'm not listening.

Then people not really understanding why I do certain things probably thinking it's weird.

People not understanding why I avoid eye contact, why it's as uncomfortable as it is.

You being criticized for obsessive interests.

Not being able to really understand people's feeling, appearing to be insensitive.

So yeah stuff like that.

Due to it being discussed below, I don't think people are necessarily self diagnosing or trying to climb some ladder I know of people that were identified with autism later on so yeah. Personally I feel it doesn't matter, I dislike being told that I'm autistic as I feel it does not matter.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94
  • Brohoof 2

When you start making weird noises, and you realize it and are afraid people will you at you weirdly.

When you decide to pace and you're afraid of looking suspicious. 

When you annoy your friends and family with whatever you're currently obsessed with.

When you're trying to join a conversation but you don't quite know how to join in naturally.

• Brohoof 1

The major problem I have with the whole Autism thing, is when people talk about it as if it were a bad thing..

1. Vaccines give you autism (Seriously though, these people are f**king stupid, Autism isn't a disease/illness, it cannot just be caught like the flu or cold, it is inherited through dna)

2. That person is awkward/stupid, they must be autistic

3. You have Autism/Asperger so you won't be able to accomplish anything in life

4. and so on

Seriously, I have Autism (Aspergers to be exact) and sure I don't accomplish much, but that is due to my lack of confidence, self esteem, motivation and of course my depression. Just because someone is awkward doesn't mean they are autistic, and just because someone is autistic, it doesn't mean they are awkward. 

It really pisses me off that a majority of people are so ignorant about autism and act as if it is a negative/bad thing..

• Brohoof 2

Autism got nothing to do with how clever you are. Its not that much different from a normal person, the only thing i know is they tend to be more slow in learning and in some cases being alone by themself. Which i disagree considering i love being with friends, but most tends to like to be with their own friends so its problematic if you are seen as annoying. You are your own master though.

Edited by Syrus94

The major problem I have with the whole Autism thing, is when people talk about it as if it were a bad thing..

1. Vaccines give you autism (Seriously though, these people are f**king stupid, Autism isn't a disease/illness, it cannot just be caught like the flu or cold, it is inherited through dna)

3. You have Autism/Asperger so you won't be able to accomplish anything in life

4. and so on

Seriously, I have Autism (Aspergers to be exact) and sure I don't accomplish much, but that is due to my lack of confidence, self esteem, motivation and of course my depression. Just because someone is awkward doesn't mean they are autistic, and just because someone is autistic, it doesn't mean they are awkward. 

It really pisses me off that a majority of people are so ignorant about autism and act as if it is a negative/bad thing..

I have autism too called high-functioning disorder. That means I'm usually active and cannot keep still most of the time but it helps me become more focused in studying. There is a fact saying that those with autism are more focused on education in schools, colleges, universities etc.

Some people just can't understand the term 'autism' at all and that's really sad. If only they are more open to these sort of things instead of just using the term as an insult. My theory is they generally use it that way because inside, they are scared of those who do have autism.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 1

For me it isn't so much that people are concerned about the more negative aspects of Autism as those do exist, but when they obsess and fear monger over them to paint it as a fate worse than death (I am looking at you Autism Speaks). Autism even in its severe cases isn't as bad as things like Cancer, Diabetes ect... I want people to recognize that I have certain challenges that many others might or might not have, but I also don't want people feeling sorry for me like I am dying or something. It is the pity that is one of the many reasons why we have been seeing a disturbing increase in Autism related mercy killings where parents will murder their Autistic children due to seeing said condition quite literally as a fate worse than death.

To be fair most of the people that believe that aren't saying it is contagious like a flu/cold but are concerned about the various toxic adjuvants that are unfortunately in a lot of vaccines. Unfortunately the vaccine issue has become a wedge issue in the Autism community and I really hate that has happened. Whether or not to vaccinate should be a person choice and regardless of whether or not vaccines cause Autism there is no reason why things like mercury should be in vaccines and there are much much worse things than Autism like increased cancer rates that these adjuvants have been linked to which should be given far more focus as well as the civil liberties issues around forcibly vaccinating people.

The Autism insult, it really says more about the people using it than the people they are insulting. It displays some rather profound stupidity and immaturity on the part of people using it.

Some people just can't understand the term 'autism' at all and that's really sad. If only they are more open to these sort of things instead of just using the term as an insult. My theory is they generally use it that way because inside, they are scared of those who do have autism.

To be fair Autism is a complicated subject because there are so many different forms of it meaning that many people have an incomplete picture of it because they may know someone who has it with that being the representation they are familiar with.

• Brohoof 1

I guess I wouldn't know anything about autism, given I don't have it, but the people I know that do have it seem to all be very different from each other, clearly showing their isn't a catch all blanket for everyone with the condition.

I think many people are having problems relating to the autistic because certain online communities (you know the one I mean) have made it 'trendy' to claim that you're suffering from one or more mental illnesses, or to self-diagnose based on the most tenuous criteria in order to gain higher standing in a community that embraces the dreaded 'special snowflake' syndrome.

Many of these people don't bother to even research the illnesses they are falsely claiming to suffer from and will describe symptoms that are not associated with the condition they are trying to describe.  This creates problems for both genuine sufferers and non-sufferers alike, causing non-sufferers to have inaccurate misconceptions of what these conditions entail, and also causing genuine sufferers to be met with skepticism or even outright disbelief because the condition being described does not match their preconceptions.

The people doing these things probably think that they are engaging in nothing more than a bit of harmless one-upmanship, but they don't think about the problems that they are causing for the people who genuinely have to deal with these conditions not just online, but in the real world, every day.

• Brohoof 3

I think many people are having problems relating to the autistic because certain online communities (you know the one I mean) have made it 'trendy' to claim that you're suffering from one or more mental illnesses, or to self-diagnose based on the most tenuous criteria in order to gain higher standing in a community that embraces the dreaded 'special snowflake' syndrome.

True, there are legitimate increases in certain conditions though. Most disturbingly to me though is that there are some on the Autism Spectrum that have a case of the special snowflake syndrome and I had a rather unpleasant encounter with one on Facebook months back. She insulted my mother and accused her of being an ableist which is someone who is bigoted against disabled people simply for disagreeing on something which frankly pissed me off and put me into full blown rage mode.

True, there are legitimate increases in certain conditions though. Most disturbingly to me though is that there are some on the Autism Spectrum that have a case of the special snowflake syndrome and I had a rather unpleasant encounter with one on Facebook months back. She insulted my mother and accused her of being an ableist which is someone who is bigoted against disabled people simply for disagreeing on something which frankly pissed me off and put me into full blown rage mode.

I am familiar with the term ableist, it's one of many '-ists' and '-phobes' thrown around far too casually by people obsessed with identity politics who are trying to score points so they can claw their way up the victimhood hierarchy.  I feel like I should caveat that by saying that I know not all people with disabilities (of any kind) are like that, I have family that have it worse than pretty much anyone on here but like most people in their situation, they just try to get on with it as best they can without making a fuss and they expect nothing more than fair treatment.  As with any other group it is the obstreperous minority that create the public's perception of the whole and cause the associated problems.

Self diagnosis is a legitimate concern in psychology and particularly in neurological circles where the majority of the research is being done, though the increase in actual ASD cases is legitimate and predominantly due to better understanding of the neurodevelopmental disorder.

I mean, it was only recently that they discovered a significant comorbidity with various sleep disorders.

Then you have the issues with clinical tests. A&S and M-CHAT are fine initial tools but the questionnaire used by many school affiliated psychological personnel has a wide net issue (something that they are required to explain to the parent or guardian). What makes that screener still viable is that it is not self administered, and requires observation in a natural setting.

As far as online tests, according to them I would be in the 'possible' to 'likely' range myself, which is not the case ... I've noticed the tests can't correctly differentiate eccentric behavior from actual symptoms. Curiously, I have a physical symptom as well ... according to my wife.

This may be the first and only time I've gone into any detail with ASD, but the short of it is ... it exists, is being more accurately diagnosed and was likely more prevalent historically than was diagnosed, and online screeners are horrible.

• Brohoof 3

Self diagnosis is a legitimate concern in psychology and particularly in neurological circles where the majority of the research is being done, though the increase in actual ASD cases is legitimate and predominantly due to better understanding of the neurodevelopmental disorder.

I mean, it was only recently that they discovered a significant comorbidity with various sleep disorders.

Then you have the issues with clinical tests. A&S and M-CHAT are fine initial tools but the questionnaire used by many school affiliated psychological personnel has a wide net issue (something that they are required to explain to the parent or guardian). What makes that screener still viable is that it is not self administered, and requires observation in a natural setting.

As far as online tests, according to them I would be in the 'possible' to 'likely' range myself, which is not the case ... I've noticed the tests can't correctly differentiate eccentric behavior from actual symptoms. Curiously, I have a physical symptom as well ... according to my wife.

This may be the first and only time I've gone into any detail with ASD, but the short of it is ... it exists, is being more accurately diagnosed and was likely more prevalent historically than was diagnosed, and online screeners are horrible.

Indeed, the whole self diagnosis of Asperger/Autism thing also irks me, and it irks me even more when people use it/other disabilities as a shield to hide behind and as an excuse for their behaviours. 

As for testing, what happened for me was an.. acquaintance of mine from my 2nd high school who had higher functioning Autism, I was at his house once and his mother was talking to mine and suggested that I might have it (other people have also suggested it and my brother even recons I may have A.D.D which is possible (I'm also going to get myself tested for Bi-Polar in the future too)) and so my mother did the online test thingy, and when the results came back pretty positive, we went to a psychologist, who was next to useless, so we went to yet another one, who was a lot more understanding and useful.

After that, I actually went to have brainscans and the such, which then the results came back that I do have Asperger Syndrome.

Sometimes I feel like it's harder having a mild case of Asperger's than actually having full-blown Autism because people just kind of assume that you're doing the things you do because you want to, not because you can't do anything about it. It's that, and they assume that you're completely capable, and when you're not they're offended/annoyed/frustrated at you, and you just end up feeling confused as to why they're pointing the finger at you for things that are hard to control. I've done everything in my power to improve, and sometimes I feel like nobody notices my progress because they expect me to be perfect in the beginning. Whereas if you had a more low-functioning case of Autism, people don't blame you for it. They know that not much can be done about it, and when progress happens, everyone makes note of it. I know it's more difficult in some ways, and I don't mean to say it's easier one way or the other, but it's just a thought I had.

Edited by \/
  • Brohoof 5

Many of these people don't bother to even research the illnesses they are falsely claiming to suffer from and will describe symptoms that are not associated with the condition they are trying to describe.  This creates problems for both genuine sufferers and non-sufferers alike, causing non-sufferers to have inaccurate misconceptions of what these conditions entail, and also causing genuine sufferers to be met with skepticism or even outright disbelief because the condition being described does not match their preconceptions.

The people doing these things probably think that they are engaging in nothing more than a bit of harmless one-upmanship, but they don't think about the problems that they are causing for the people who genuinely have to deal with these conditions not just online, but in the real world, every day.

Way to make everything about your agenda!

1) I'm only smart on certain things I find interesting such as history, cars or weather.

2) I honestly don't tap my foot though I tend to jam out a lot when music is playing.

3) I honestly don't know if I really have this problem though I tend to forget what I say a lot after conversations. I guess that's similar.

4) I know this one way too much. For example I don't know if I want to trade in my car for a new car or truck or keep my car for work and buy a used car as my fun vehicle.

I have Asperger's though it's a really, really mild form of it. Almost unnoticeable. I sure have came a long way in the roughly 18 years since being diagnosed with it though.

Self diagnosis is a huge problem. Also since autism is a condition that does not cause harmful conditions to the body that are easily determined it often can be misdiagnosed, or missed entirely.