Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Characters with autism

CastletonSnob

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:36 AM, Nerdy Luigi said:

The only one I could see somewhat easily as a possibility is Twilight, but it would be more like Asperger's than severe autism (Twilight's IQ is high assumably)

Twilight does have obsessive behaviors that mirror the symptoms, but I don't see any for sure things to point to it myself (I've studied autism since I had the thought that I might have it myself (Asperger's specifically)). Also she's socially inept (social skills have developed throughout the series, though). But I haven't seen more definitive symptoms than that.

This and I'll add Maud. She shows a lot of the signs of it, and if they actually uop and said that Maud is autistic, I'd say she's actually a very accurate representation in almost every way possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to just throw this out there,  but I've always wondered if Fluttershy had mild Autism. Now remember, I know nothing about it. I just know of people the do have it, do a very mild degree. I just feel Fluttershy fits.

I will say (and I’m sorry if you disagree) that I’m pretty sure Twily has OCD, be it mild or not. Anypony else here remember the episode Lesson Zero? You know, where she literally spent 22 minutes of our lives freaking out about just a letter? Granted, it did mean a HAY of a lot to her. But a letter, really?

Feel free to disagree tho. I’m not a mental doctor/psychologist or the like. Hay, I’m just a teenager who loves the show! 

• 1 year later...
On 2018-04-01 at 3:56 AM, sweetolebob18 said:

Of course there really are people w autism, ADD, & all that other stuff, but IMO it is WAY over diagnosed.

It is rather disturbing that natural human behaviors are now being treated like disorders. It's like being human is bad.
I'm an introvert, and I don't like being around large crowds or with people I'm not familiar with and/or don't know too well. Someone said I had "social phobia" because of that. That's a bit extreme, don't you think? I don't have "social phobia," I have social anxiety.

Also, with every socially awkward kid being labeled as autistic and every kid acting like they were given LSD being labeled as having ADHD, the meanings of those labels are lost, and it gives the impression that typical kid behavior is wrong and bad. Not only that, if a child is "messed up" and/or "misbehaves," is shifts the blame from the parents to the child, saying that the parents are not to blame for the child(s)'s behaviors.

Does that make sense? :)

Edited by Millennium Shadow
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I can see autistic traits in Twilight, Fluttershy, and Pinkie, but the character that is most likely to be written as autistic is Maud. She:

1. Has an all consuming interest in rocks.
  2. Only wants to talk about rocks.
  3. Has a monotone voice.
  4. Has an encyclopedic knowledge of rocks.
  5. Has a rock she carries around with her (Boulder).

• 1 year later...

I think the mane 6 could be split between NT and ND. Here are the potential disorders I see in them:

Twilight: OCD and ADHD most likely

Fluttershy: Autism spectrum disorder + social anxiety disorder.

Rarity: Neurotypical

AJ: Neurotypical

Pinkie Pie: ADHD + Hypomania

Rainbow Dash: Neurotypical

I'd say Fluttershy could be the one on the autism due to her social challenges, but every other member would either have ADHD, Hypomania, or be Neurotypical. Hope this makes sense.

On 2023-05-24 at 11:02 PM, CaliforniaSpeedKing said:

Rainbow Dash: Neurotypical

Actually, some fans have likened her troubles learning in a common classroom setting (as featured in "Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3") to ADHD

• 5 months later...