Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unlikeable Pony

An angel is a 'messenger' - particularly from 'heaven'. Like dragons, angels of some kind appear in just about every major mythology.

MLP:FiM was created as a fantasy heavily based on mythological themes. Faust knew exactly what she was doing when she created Celestia as the 'angelic' messenger and mentor. In the second episode, Celestia even appears suddenly at the end of the episode, much like the Witch if East from Wizard of Oz (also an angelic character) to comfort Twilight and to bring the message of her fulfilled purpose in Ponyville.

It's a common theme in myth, and in real life, to be visited by angels 'suddenly' during times of great heroism, or even tragedy.

So I believe there are angels in Equestria, but they take forms which are unique to the world, while still an analog of the myths from our own world.

• Brohoof 1

I believe alicorns have all the traits necesarry to consider them Equestrian version of angels. They embody that which they stand for and are more powerful than most other creatures in the world of Equestria. They have wings and magical abilities, both of which are angelic traits commonly seen in fantasy. 

4 hours ago, Sir Hugsalot said:

I believe alicorns have all the traits necesarry to consider them Equestrian version of angels. They embody that which they stand for and are more powerful than most other creatures in the world of Equestria. They have wings and magical abilities, both of which are angelic traits commonly seen in fantasy. 

All good until about Season 5... *snort* :LunaMCM:

• 1 month later...

*chooses to flutter in with an opinion* 

The concept of an angel to some people holds religious connotations. To others, it simply means an ascended being. 

The wings represent ascension to new heights, dimensions, etc. with a Pegasus it’s a literal thing. But concepts are not always literal.

I love all of the answers to this thread though. Very thoughtful and so was this question. 

a quire of white angelic pegasi break into song as the clouds part to unveil a bright light upon this thread.

hahah that vivid scene comes to mind thanks to @Nitobitand his love of mangos. 

I just assumed that the pegasus were angel pony hybrids  born way way long ago. Similar to biblical story of the nephilim but the difference is that the relationships between the angels and ponies was more of a holy and blessed event (loving relationship)as opposed to an unholy event (hateful relationships).

Yo make long story short angels are there in Equestria but because of how well trained and adaptive the pegasi are there is very little need for them to actually do anything as the pegasi at this point already do what the angels would normally do.

Sadly, over time this was simply all forgotten over time both because it happened millions upon millions of years ago and because they have not had contact with angels in so they just forgot they exist.

At least that's my own theory that all pegasi are descendents of earth pony and angel families.