Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

if MLP was TV-PG

Plonkett

Mostly just hidden adult jokes. Most TV-PG shows now are riddled with jokes that are meant for adults even if the show is for kids. Example: Adventure Time. Other shows that are TV-PG like, the Simpsons, can get away with profanity but I don't think that MLP would do that because some people like the innocence of the show.

• Brohoof 2

If it was TV-PG, we'd see more innuendos. And that's it.

More "real" Fighting IMO.

apart from the S4 finale, which is a very noticeable outlier (and had censorship issues of hasbro nixing things like tirek being punched), there's very little actual outright fighting in this show. For example, dragonquest, the situation was resolved by just running away after telling off garble (one reason that gauntlet of fire was so cathartic). The only real "fighting" in the S6 finale was Starlight being thrown by chrysalis, and the S5 fight was more of a comedic thing with starlight and twilight shooting lasers while the other easily blocked them till they got tired.

Look at legend of everfree as well: despite the entire premise being "The mane six get super powers" and the climax being a fight against another super powered individual, its NOT a fight, not really: the mane six just throw things at the vines surrounding the camp and never actually attack glory, and the only "attack' that glory does is tripping rainbow dash, which is played off as humorously as possible by the inclusion of a Bowling ball strike sound as she trips into the other 5.

I'm not saying the show would suddenly get grimdark, but we'd get much more fights akin to the S4 finale or the fights in the comics if it was PG for the action episodes.

We might also finally find out officially what happened to AJ's parents

• Brohoof 2

Eh, I don't think we'd get much more than maybe the word "fart" or whatnot with PG, you'd have to be Pg13 to really get into what I'd quantify as "vulgar" more than just an occasional potty humor joke.

Maybe it's for the best then that MLP is rated the way it is instead of anything higher.

• Brohoof 2

We'd probably get a little bit more action, and some innuendo here and there like some of the PG shows on CN.

If it was rated PG, I don't think it'd have the same appeal, and I certainly don't think it would have lasted this long.

• Brohoof 1

A Slice of Life cartoon with heavy emphasis on character interactions and relationships, a good amount of fantasy elements, incorporates upbeat and catchy musical numbers, as well as interesting life lessons?

Where have I had heard of that before?

maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

all this talk makes me really hope that the movie will be PG. I'm really getting tired of the anti-climax fights that we've been getting lately, and I've always been a fan of the more magical girl aspects of the show (one reason I'm so excited for the GOH toyline).

So I'm hoping the movie is PG so we can get a little more action and violence going on.

How you think MLP was TV-PG instead of TV-Y? What kinda things do you think the show could get away with?

The thing in your avatar. No seriously. There's an episode of Gumball where the dad briefly has an expression like that. I think it's the one where the grandpa shows up.

For fun, here's a parental analysis of MLP I've found:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1751105/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Here's one for Gumball, which is TV-Y7, so higher than Y, lower than PG:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1942683/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Here's one for Steven Universe since cmarston1 mentioned it:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3061046/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Aaand here's one for Batman the Animated Series (though standards have changed a bit in 24 years):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103359/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

Oh my. Starlight, no match for Chrysalis without her magic, only survived because of Plot Armor, and would have been in even more trouble if the show wasn't rated TV-Y! I think this video would sum up my thoughts on this...

Yeah. It's unfortunate that higher ratings don't alleviate plot armor.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, Ratings don't tie into plot armor, there's tons of shows where certain characters have plot armor despite having more adult ratings.

Of all offenders, Halo (rated M) is the worst offender. If anything, it's downgrade to rated T had a similar affect with My Little Pony's creativity in avoiding starch violence.

More "real" Fighting IMO.

apart from the S4 finale, which is a very noticeable outlier (and had censorship issues of hasbro nixing things like tirek being punched), there's very little actual outright fighting in this show. For example, dragonquest, the situation was resolved by just running away after telling off garble (one reason that gauntlet of fire was so cathartic). The only real "fighting" in the S6 finale was Starlight being thrown by chrysalis, and the S5 fight was more of a comedic thing with starlight and twilight shooting lasers while the other easily blocked them till they got tired.

Look at legend of everfree as well: despite the entire premise being "The mane six get super powers" and the climax being a fight against another super powered individual, its NOT a fight, not really: the mane six just throw things at the vines surrounding the camp and never actually attack glory, and the only "attack' that glory does is tripping rainbow dash, which is played off as humorously as possible by the inclusion of a Bowling ball strike sound as she trips into the other 5.

I'm not saying the show would suddenly get grimdark, but we'd get much more fights akin to the S4 finale or the fights in the comics if it was PG for the action episodes.

We might also finally find out officially what happened to AJ's parents

Danny Phantom, Avatar, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Courage the was rated TV-Y7 and those had way more action than Legend of Everfree.

Danny Phantom, Avatar, Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, and Courage the was rated TV-Y7 and those had way more action than Legend of Everfree.

I was going to mention that all of the shows you brought up were older cartoons, and that the Y-7 rating seems to be more strict these days, but apparently Legend of Korra is also Y-7 and while I've never watched that show, but I'd assume it's on about the same level as the original series.

I'd say the lack of real fighting despite the upped rating is probably due to Hasbro setting some limits on what DHX can and can't do.

Who would know? I imagine it'd be kind of like, to the parents, jokes they'd put together but the kids may not.

I know it doesn't have to do with ratings, and has probably been done before, but references to previous generations that the parents may get from when they were young.