Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Retro Console Resurgence

Justin_Case001

So, as many of you may have noticed, there's been a sudden resurgence of retro gaming consoles.  I'm not talking about retro games available for download on virtual consoles.  No.  They've actually begun manufacturing old consoles again.  It's quite amazing.  There was an add in the paper for 8-bit classic Nintendos at Target, and, of all places, Bed Bath & Beyond had a display of Sega Genesis consoles, and Atari 2600s!  ATARI FREAKING 2600!  Now, there do seem to be some minor improvements and tweaks--the Genesis appears to come bundled with some on-board games.  So, in other words, if you don't have any cartridges, I guess you can turn on the power and you'll get a menu with a few iconic games right there on the system.  I think some of the consoles might be smaller, as well.  I think the original Atari 2600 was about the size of a refrigerator, so I would expect them to make that smaller.  (Isn't it amazing how many millions of times more powerful a modern phone is than one of those old hulking monstrosities?)  Anyway, apart from being smaller, the Atari looked exactly the same.  Other than that, these are totally real, totally legit consoles, just like they were way back in the day.

The most amazing thing about this resurgence is that it seems to have happened overnight.  It was extremely sudden.  These things used to be highly sought after collector's items and relics of the past, and then all of sudden, boom, they're on the shelves again.  In a small way, I almost feel like it diminishes the meaning of the old relics of the collectors, but in a bigger way, I think it's pretty awesome.  Surely there's a lot to say about it.  Lastly, unless I've greatly missed my guess, I believe that most of the credit for this retro resurgence can be given to James Rolfe.  Without him, I doubt that this ever would have happened.