Jump to content
Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is your favorite retro (pre-2000) video game?


Magnify

Recommended Posts

Fav pre 2000 video game?

That would be Need for Speed high stakes (US title) / road challenge (European title).

Edited by zerox
  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My favorite pre-2000 game is Need for Speed III from 1998. It's still a game I play at least once every couple weeks. I have it running with a patch on windows 10. It's full HD now and I've added a lot of custom cars. I also have a tool to edit cars, so now the cops drive like insane terminators.:laugh:

nfs3_0004.png.85860106f7648c10069dd8723c05feef.png

Here's a screenshot from a minute ago. (also has an Easter egg I put a while ago) Even today It doesn't look horrible, and gameplay is still really fun.

When this came out the graphics were extremely impressive. They were even better than most arcade racing games at the time. My family's computer didn't have the best frame rate though and the graphics card had a few odd glitches with it. We played this for hours though.

On 2022-10-01 at 4:17 PM, zerox said:

Fav pre 2000 video game?

That would be Need for Speed high stakes (US title) / road challenge (European title).

I had that game too. It was good too. The physics were better but the cars looked worse IMO. The problem nowadays is that there is not an easy widescreen patch like there is for Need for speed III. The guy who made it has been too busy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cirrus. said:

My favorite pre-2000 game is Need for Speed III from 1998. It's still a game I play at least once every couple weeks. I have it running with a patch on windows 10. It's full HD now and I've added a lot of custom cars. I also have a tool to edit cars, so now the cops drive like insane terminators.:laugh:

nfs3_0004.png.85860106f7648c10069dd8723c05feef.png

Here's a screenshot from a minute ago. (also has an Easter egg I put a while ago) Even today It doesn't look horrible, and gameplay is still really fun.

When this came out the graphics were extremely impressive. They were even better than most arcade racing games at the time. My family's computer didn't have the best frame rate though and the graphics card had a few odd glitches with it. We played this for hours though.

I had that game too. It was good too. The physics were better but the cars looked worse IMO. The problem nowadays is that there is not an easy widescreen patch like there is for Need for speed III. The guy who made it has been too busy.

If the guy you are talking about is the person who modded NFS 3 and 4 and is the owner of the website veg.by then I know who you are talking about. I have a genuine copy of both NFS 3 and 4 and I even play NFS 3 on my Windows 11 system @ 2560x1600 wide-screen mode. No issues whatsoever. I have also downloaded some extra cars and tracks for NFS 3. Funny the first time that I played NFS 3 was in 1998 when someone gave me a pirated version of the game.

Edited by zerox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, zerox said:

If the guy you are talking about is the person who modded NFS 3 and 4 and is the owner of the website veg.by then I know who you are talking about. I have a genuine copy of both NFS 3 and 4 and I even play NFS 3 on my Windows 11 system @ 2560x1600 wide-screen mode. No issues whatsoever. I have also downloaded some extra cars and tracks for NFS 3. Funny the first time that I played NFS 3 was in 1998 when someone game me a pirated version of the game.

Yes, that's the guy who made the patches I use. NFS III runs perfect in 16:9 HD, High Stakes works good too, but only in 4:3 resolutions. It also needs some other patch for cheats to work. I got both games working with the patch from the original discs.

Edited by Cirrus.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 months later...
On 2015-06-03 at 9:07 PM, __________ said:

Okay gonna say this one because it's on my brain, one of my absolute favorite pre-2000 games is Roller-coaster Tycoon. I can never get enough of it, it is just too fun. Plus, it is one of the greatest tycoon games ever and it was one of the first. It's a shame the series has fallen so much off the radar.

 

There are plenty more I can name but I wanted to give RCT some much deserved attention. :)

This one's my favorite pre-2000's game too! :yay:

I love the development history behind it. I love that it was mostly one guy who just wanted to make a game where you could build rollercoasters (and amusement parks) just because he had a bit of a thing for them around that time. And, I love that it still runs without many compatibility fixes needed today, considering how games were coded back then. There are some issues like the guests AI being subpar (the exit to the park is IN FRONT OF YOU, STOP WALKING AWAY WHILE COMPLAINING YOU WANT TO GO HOME!!) but everything else is simple fun!

Though the definitive modern experience is having RCT1+2 with OpenRCT. It's impressive that people got multiplayer servers working for the game and other modifications, though servers in particular seem like a pain to set up. I hope they're able to make that experience a lot smoother and user-friendly cuz right now you need to be a networking nerd to understand how to set one up!

It's also a shame as well that nobody seems to have heard of it now but they (modern-day Atari) botched the whole series up with rushing mobile money grabbers of it and pretty much killed it with the messy development and release of RCT World in 2016 (really glitchy on launch, insincere suits saying they care about "the gamers" or something like that, and tossing the game to multiple small and inexperienced dev studios, so they had to try and figure out where the last studio left off and had to work with assets and code they didn't make before they got replaced by another studio and cycle repeats).

Surprisingly, they also have another one after that called RCT Adventures, but as far as I know it's a lazy port of one of their mobile RCT's and has lots of issues as well (LOL good one Atari).

Luckily though, if people want a modern spiritual successor, there's Parkitect and Planet Coaster. They have a lot more care and love put into them than whatever Atari was doing between 2010 - 2020. The latter especially was made by the people who made RCT 3 and they tried to keep true to what they learned from that.

There's also a mobile port of RCT1 which is apparently really good since it didn't stray much from the original game. Just adapted for mobile gameplay.

Otherwise, OpenRCT with the base game(s), which can be had for really cheap on Steam, GOG, or secondhand discs from Ebay or wherever else you can legally get them.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I would basically love Noddy, Pingu and Bob The Builder on CD rom. They were fun because you can chase Goblins with Mr Plod, hear Pingu eat things as he goes around the maze and decorate Wendy's birthday cake with chocolate buttons and small miniature toy versions of Bob's machines!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Played that game so much as a kid.

I was going to pick Zelda: Majora's Mask, but apparently that game came out in 2000. :/

Edited by Cash In
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...