Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your favorite licensed soundtrack in a video game?

Trot Shuffle

I don't mean the soundtrack composed specifically for games. Just songs which were licensed out to a game, even if it were for something else but they bought the license to use it in another game. Which ones have your favorite licensed soundtrack, even if the game isn't necessarily perfect?

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005) gets that award from me. It's quite diverse in it's fairly small selection, fits the atmosphere of the game really well in many parts of the game, and given the context that the game was developed in under a year and they chose these songs within the last few weeks of the game's release, it makes the selection really impressive to me. The times that I go back to play the game, I make sure to change the settings within EA TRAX to have them all play everywhere and at random.

I'm feeling a bit lazy to post links to the songs so here's just a list of the licensed songs in the game, of course all of them have edited for the game in one way or another:

Spoiler

DJ Spooky and Dave Lombardo - B-Side Wins Again ft. Chuck D
Dieselboy + Kaos - Barrier Break
Mastodon - Blood and Thunder
Avenged Sevenfold - Blinded In Chains
Evol Intent, Mayhem & Thinktank - Broken Sword
Disturbed - Decadence
The P$C - Do Ya Thang
Ils - Feed The Addiction
Jamiroquai - Feels Just Like It Should (Timo Maas Remix)
Hush - Fired Up
Bullet For My Valentine - Hand of Blood
Rock - I Am Rock
Suni Clay - In A Hood Near You
The Perceptionists - Let's Move
Styles of Beyond - Nine Thou (Grant Mohrman 'Superstars' Remix)
Celldweller - One Good Reason (Instrumental)
Juvenile - Sets Go Up
Celldweller - Shapeshifter ft. Styles Of Beyond
Static-X - Skinnyman
The Roots and BT - Tao of the Machine (Scott Humphrey’s Remix)
Lupe Fiasco - Tilted
Hyper - We Control
Stratus - You Must Follow (Evol Intent VIP)
The Prodigy - You'll Be Under My Wheels

Also these play as well but they're "racing" edits of the composed pursuit soundtrack, still very good:
Paul Linford and Chris Vrenna - Most Wanted Mash Up
Paul Linford and Chris Vrenna - The Mann

• Brohoof 1

I wanna lean towards Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, just because its entire soundtrack is just permanently ingrained into my mind like Linkin Park's first three albums. I swear, late at night, while I'm laying in bed trying to sleep, I can still hear the intro song playing.

But realistically, Underground 2 is just better. Riders on the Storm is iconic, sure. But the soundtrack also has Queens of the Stone Age, Ginger Elvis himself serenading you while you drive. My dream. There's also some other good bands sure, Rise Against has a cool song, Spiderbait, they have a catchy song. Cirrus is nice. But none of those bands have Josh Homme in them, or Troy Van Leeuwen. QOTSA propels Underground 2 ahead of the competition and makes it my choice for best licensed soundtrack that I've heard.

• 2 months later...

NASCAR Thunder 2004 comes to mind whenever I think about favorite licensed soundtracks, with bangers like Chapter Four - Avenged Sevenfold, I Hate Everything About You - Three Days Grace, Little Know It All - Iggy Pop (feat Sum 41), and Nothing Sacred - Memento.

Also, WRC 2010 is what introduced me to my favorite band of all time, Pendulum, with the song Witchcraft. Been a massive fan ever since.