Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lunar Echo

What are some of the best military operation names you've come across? and what did these operations entail.

There are some really creative and awesome military operation names out there and I'd like to give them some credit with this thread. I mean hats off to the guy that came up with "Operation Dragon Spear" which was basically the US Armies capabilities being demonstrated. A more bigger operation that didn't happen but was planned and devised was "Operation Downfall", which involved the US Military's invasion of the Japanese homeland. And from my understanding this would've taken place after the fall of Nazi Germany and would've involved more than just the USA. 

"Operation Downfall" Map Plans.

sig-4784463.800px-Operation_Downfall_-_M

Scene from "Operation Dragon Spear"

sig-4784463.hires_150805-A-DP764-003A.jp

Please share whatever little cool details you know about the Operation for show. I look forward to reading all the awesome stories behind all the awesome Operations you will show. There has been many, many wars throughout all of human history, many titles have been bestowed on many huge events. All this information can be found from all walks of the internet, I'll leave you to the digging for the most interesting ones you can find. 

• Brohoof 1

I am a bit rusty on this stuff but the Soviet encirclement attack at Stalingrad was called 'Little Saturn" because one of the generals wanted to launch a major attack and the original plan was called "Operation Saturn" so the smaller revised attack was "Operation Little Saturn".  I found that one funny anyways.

• Brohoof 1

If I recall correctly, the Army had actually been preparing for Downfall because the Manhattan Project was entirely secret.

In anticipation of the American casualties, they prepared over 1 million Purple Heart medals, but stopped after Japan surrendered. The American Military hasn't needed to manufacture new ones since.

On a different subject, it didn't clearly have its own Operational name, but the US Air Force did try test firing a Minuteman ICBM by dropping it out of the back of a C5A Galaxy aircraft, to see if ICBMs could be air launched. The result was "yes, but it's expensive, dangerous and stupid" which is why there aren't any more of those.

Nuclear-tipped missiles exist, but not air-launched continental spanning ones.

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 2