Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anyone in your family served in the military?

Lisa

My grandpa was in the navy but wasn’t in any conflict, and great-grandpa served but I don’t know what arm of the service or what his experiences were because he never said much about it. My grandmother spoke of her cousin who served in France in WWI and sent back silk handkerchiefs and lots of really horrible photos which I never got to see. The relative dating back the farthest was in the Revolutionary War, as researched by my great aunt. He was Captain in 5th Reg. of Lighthorse, and assisted in the surrender of Burgoyne, and was at the battle of Saratoga and capture of N.Y. in 1776. I wish I had more details on that, it sounds fascinating.  

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yes, my great-grandfather served in the army during the 1950s/60s and died in action. My grandmother talks about it all the time. I wish that one some level I could have known him, but I get a lot of face-time with his daughter, so in a way, I do.

Edited by Sovereign Leader Rarity

I have had ancestors as loyalists and patriots in the revolutionary war, along with those on the Union side in the American civil war, and some in the first world war. My uncle was in the military, too.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah my greatgrandather served in WW2, more than a few of my cousins have served in the army and my mother even went to the military briefly when she was young. 

• Brohoof 2

• 9 months later...

Also my great-grandpa, but it was World War II. Didn't have a choice of course and luckily survived. I'm glad I was still able to met him when I was a very small kid. :) Nowadays I would have many questions. :coco: I'm very proud of him and my great-grandmother, because they are very nice and even protected jewish people in their home.

• Brohoof 1

In my direct family not. Until 2011, in germany, we had conscription. But because of different reasons, no one in my direct family was drafted (I for example was rejected because of my back). One of my cousins was part of the german navy. I also guess that some of my ancestors fight in both WW1 and WW2. I know that my maternal grandfather, who actually wanted to become a catholic priest but had to go into war, was in russia and that my paternal grandfather lost his both brothers in WW2. My family is not really a militaric family.

My grandfather served in the military, as did his brother and his cousin - none were ever involved in armed conflict, although they were deployed all over the world (my uncle was born in Germany because of this). I have an ancestor who emigrated from Ireland to the US and fought in the Civil War there too, although unfortunately I couldn't find any record of which side he fought for.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah. My grandfather and his brother both served in the army, although neither fought in any wars (my grandfather was part of the Coldstream Guards, who protect the Royal Family). My great grandfather also served in the army and didn't fight in any wars, although his brother fought and was killed in WW1.

Quite a few. My ancestors were said to be hired Hessians in the revolution. My father was army as were a couple of my uncles. My other uncle was a Marine. My cousin is currently Army stationed in New York. One uncle on mom’s side was WW2 likely Army Air  corps. He died in action in Italy.

• Brohoof 1

My dad was unlucky enough as when he was in his 20s conscription was still a thing in Poland.

To quote him, his military "training" was mostly a drinking/slothing contest, in other words - a complete waste of time. He ensured he'd be permanently removed from military when army attempted to drag him into military training around the time when I was to be born. 

Fortunately when I reached adult age conscription was already a thing of the past.

Overall I consider his story a perfect reason as to why in army You don't "man up". He not only did not learn any discipline, he was actively encouraged to not learn it xD Maybe it's different in different countries, but here conscription was a complete nonsense.

• 3 months later...