Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would You Join the Military?

Homura Akemi

It has been crossing my mind occasionally.  I think the idea of “joining” requires a strong sense of idealism and a deep understanding what’s the end-goal here for joining. Which most people care not to think about when they signed up. I don’t do well with authority especially if I have to perform a task that I don’t agree with. Yes I’m a coward but who isn’t? It’s a big hefty job.  But I think if people were to fight for the humanity and peace toward the greater good with carefully planned tactics, not only it will rally the crowd but also build courage and a trusting system. Doesn’t matter how strong or smart you are. As a revolutionist and advocator, if there’s a sense of justice, purpose, and belief that fall under the same umbrella as mine I will be obliged to join. I choose not to join because I don’t feel 100% obligated to yet.  it’s more of the matter of time when it’s my calling to do so. Otherwise, if they don’t fall in the same as mine’s, the governments can reap what they sow.

No, I'd hate basic training, I dislike being outside, I also dislike people shooting at me and I dislike when there's too much or not enough order (and in the Army I think it's both at the same time). 

Also, I dislike the idea of putting myself in danger for the sake of other people. For the small list of people I care about - yeah, I can understand that, but in general - no.

No I would not join the military under any circumstances. As much as I find certain aspects of the military interesting, like the equipment, order and discipline, I would not be able to justify some of the detached mentality required for success according to the manual. To me there’s wiggle room for interpretation of one situation over another where rigid by-the-book tactics can’t always apply. Soldiers are trained out of their individuality rather than working to the strengths that could be conducive to greater success. I could not follow arbitrary orders without question and I could not feel comfortable being considered a piece of expendable meat with a gun. Human beings are not meaningless numbers, no matter how useful and convenient it may be to think of them as such by the tacticians in their safe bunkers. It seems to me that military tactics, despite the technology which make them more efficient than in older times, still don’t think outside the box. Too much mechanical thinking and not enough creative thinking can cost lives, and I’m not good with that.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 2