Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has Sparity overstayed it's welcome?

FlareGun45

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Tbh I would love for them to make an episode concerning this issue as sparity has become a very fruitless ship imo. It would be pretty weird for spike to actually be in some relationship with rarity. I get he thinks she’s hot but the thing is he seems to not understand how to approach the situation so I think they should either dismantle the ship in an spike rarity episode or clarify more on how spike’s feelings towards rarity’s atm because the lack of confirmation of this ship being affirmed has been annoying thus far.

Edited by The Whiteraven

Definitely don't want it to be canonized. I'm on the same boat as most people - the idea that Spike is essentially an adolescent dragon while Rarity is a full grown adult mare is hard to ignore. Yeah, technically speaking Spike is a similar age to Rarity, but his maturity level is clearly that of a dependent while Rarity is very much an independent.

I'm not against interspecies relationships. (Also, I find it odd that people bring it up but ship Fluttercord, when that is also two different species...) It's just that this one in particular is written very much like a little kid having a crush on an older celebrity.

Also, I'm not sure why people are rushing for development on this one. It's a relationship I feel doesn't really need to develop, except maybe Spike moving on to someone else.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Scootaloved said:

Definitely don't want it to be canonized. I'm on the same boat as most people - the idea that Spike is essentially an adolescent dragon while Rarity is a full grown adult mare is hard to ignore. Yeah, technically speaking Spike is a similar age to Rarity, but his maturity level is clearly that of a dependent while Rarity is very much an independent.

I'm not against interspecies relationships. (Also, I find it odd that people bring it up but ship Fluttercord, when that is also two different species...) It's just that this one in particular is written very much like a little kid having a crush on an older celebrity.

Also, I'm not sure why people are rushing for development on this one. It's a relationship I feel doesn't really need to develop, except maybe Spike moving on to someone else.

Most of us are actually saying that! Spike should move on, and that would actually develop the friendship between the two! It's probably the best thing to do, instead of just keeping it like this, a dead-end crush only brought up once in a while for gag effects. It's not funny, it's not cute anymore, what's the point of having it around?

On 2/14/2017 at 12:02 PM, MegaSean45 said:

I'm ready for the hate comments that come with this, so no worries! ;)

Sparity has become a ship before shipping became a thing in this show! It was pretty much the very first ship, and it was created by Lauren herself! This ship was pretty cute at first! A child dragon who has feelings for an older pony, it's happened before! Their relationship grew pretty much till Secret of my Excess, when he let out his feelings, and they've become closer then! It was super adorable, and it kept being adorable from the beginning all the way to Inspiration Manifestation!

Unfortunately, when season 5 emerged, during Castle Sweet Castle, the ship stopped being cute. I mean the plushie was cute and all, but it was at that moment when I realized... ok this thing is still going on without progression? It's been the exactly the same all the way through, Spike has a crush on Rarity, and Rarity friendzones him, which is fine, except for when she uses the crush to get him to do the stuff she wants, which made me furious.

So, what's going to happen with the ship in the future? Are they finally going to get together? Is he going to get tired of her and move on? Is the crush just going to get dropped and never be brought up again? Or is it just going to stay exactly the same how it is without any change whatsoever, yunno the boring way? It can go any way. Spike knows he's being friendzoned, but he stays by her side like the loyal and awesome friend he is. It can go either way, I mean anything is better than how it is now. I'm still waiting for Spike's relationship with Fluttershy to be explored a bit, cause other than Twilight, Fluttershy was Spike's first friend in the Mane Six, and yet their relationship hasn't been explored much yet; and yet we've been having too much Spike and Rarity interaction.

What do you think? Do we expect any kind of change to happen to the Sparity ship in the future?

I think not, but that's because it has been reduced to an occasional small reference instead of an episode plot or being the only thing in Spike's character