gaming Super Smash Bros. Thread

Fear Moonscar

I don't know how Smash bros for Wii U is going to save the Wii U, I mean, it's on the 3Ds, people are going to go for that version and leave the poor Wii U version in the dust.

If smash bros 4 was a Wii U exclusive, it would have saved it, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with this stupid decision.

I don't know what will save the Wii U now.

Edited by Lankman

I don't know how Smash bros for Wii U is going to save the Wii U, I mean, it's on the 3Ds, people are going to go for that version and leave the poor Wii U version in the dust.

If smash bros 4 was a Wii U exclusive, it would have saved it, Nintendo shot themselves in the foot with this stupid decision.

Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, New Zelda, new Starfox, Pokken Tournament...

• Brohoof 1

Well, Pokken hasn't really been confirmed to be on Wii U yet.

also, bayonetta 2 won't boost Wii U sales, it might be a flop.

Hyrule warriors didn't boost Wii U sales.

Zelda will help, star fox will help, but after that, I don't know what will boost it.

I hope the Wii U will be a success, but I don't see that happening judging by the sales.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned for the Wii U, now.

Not only did they put SSB on both consoles, but they clearly prioritized the 3DS version by releasing it first. I have no idea why in the world they prioritized the 3DS version when it was the one of the two versions guaranteed to be a success.

Design decisions are also going to make the Wii U version a VERY tough sale. What hypes up a SSB game the most? The characters! Yet, the character roster has already been confirmed to be the same across both versions. The Wii U will have the same roster. Every character in SSB4 was known a few weeks ago, and if the hyped hasn't fizzled away for many now, it will certainly fizzle away before the release of the Wii U version.

I'm sure that the Wii U version has some neat modes and stages. The much larger music library also makes it the better buy. However, none of these things will bring hype like a new character reveal would have.

I agree. Nintendo shot themselves in the foot. All of these decisions are extremely mind-boggling considering the Wii U's circumstances right now. Sure some people would be mad if characters were exclusive to the Wii U version. But since when has Nintendo ever cared about this kind of thing? They have to give incentive to buy the Wii U... They had a good opportunity, and they blew it... times a thousand. This was all just really stupid on Nintendo's part.

Once SSBU makes a mediocre show in sells (which I'm fairly certain it will now), Nintendo's biggest selling console titles are already out. I wonder what they will do?

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

I'm hoping they'll give a lot of reasons to make the Wii U version of the game worth owning beyond different stages and more music. I do think different modes will help, but honestly I think they should've given the Wii U version exclusive characters.

I'm starting to think releasing it on both the Wii U and 3DS was a mistake

I'm hoping they'll give a lot of reasons to make the Wii U version of the game worth owning beyond different stages and more music. I do think different modes will help, but honestly I think they should've given the Wii U version exclusive characters.

Better HD graphics and sound?  Easier to get several people around the same screen?

Smash 3DS comes out tomorrow in North America! Soon, the whole world will finally have Smash 4 in their hands...

http://www.pitt.edu/~arj39/TeamWebPage/Super_Smash_Bros__Brawl_world_by_BrawlMSTR.gif

Oh the Wii U version will surely have some different modes. Event Matches, Special Smash, and tournament mode are missing from 3DS after all.

I don't think releasing 2 versions for different systems is a mistake though. It makes sure Nintendo's biggest game is available to all current Nintendo players, was never really surprised they're doing it this way. No one misses out all that much then. :wacko:

Better HD graphics and sound?  Easier to get several people around the same screen?

I'm talking about content, not aesthetics

Smash 3DS comes out tomorrow in North America! Soon, the whole world will finally have Smash 4 in their hands...

http://www.pitt.edu/~arj39/TeamWebPage/Super_Smash_Bros__Brawl_world_by_BrawlMSTR.gif

Oh the Wii U version will surely have some different modes. Event Matches, Special Smash, and tournament mode are missing from 3DS after all.

I don't think releasing 2 versions for different systems is a mistake though. It makes sure Nintendo's biggest game is available to all current Nintendo players, was never really surprised they're doing it this way. No one misses out all that much then. :wacko:

While I don't think it's bad to release Smash on the 3DS, most of my issues stems from the design choices like identical rosters that held the Wii U version back. It upsets me that there are certain things they couldn't do now because the 3DS apparently couldn't handle it, things like transformations or cut characters like Ice Climbers, Squirtle or Ivysaur, and the Wii U version is suffering because of it.

I'm glad they made a 3DS version, but personally I think it would've been better if they made them different games, or at least gave them different rosters

It certainly was a weird decision that will probably come back to bite them, releasing the game on both instead of just the WiiU. And yes, I actually would have been upset if the WiiU version had exclusive characters even if that makes it more marketable compared to the 3ds.

I think they should have delayed the 3ds version till after the main console version already released. It's likely that people would still buy the 3ds game down the line simply because it's portable. As it stands now, some will just pass on getting the WiiU and the WiiU version of the game because the 3ds game is enough.

Still, as a consumer, I'm quite happy I don't have to buy a WiiU for the game.

Well, there is this leak about the Wii U version of smash bros., I will show it to you, but before you start saying "Oh, it's just fake", listen to me for a second, Sakurai revealed a stage called game and Wario, this stage is in the leak, and this leak came out before Sakurai posted the reveal of the stage.

Edit: it won't let me post the picture, damn, can somebody tell me how to post a pic.

Edit again: well, my image can't be displayed, well then, type in "Tower of smash" on google images and click on the first image, the one that looks like a 4chan comment section.

Edited by Lankman

Kind of depressed about the Ice Climbers. If there was seriously such issue with the double AI, just go with one climber, buff the stats a bit, and give us Nana/Popo alts. Then join them together next Smash(or even have two representatives for IC- solo climber and the pair).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it- I've ordered the game, but I dunno if it will come before or after the weekend.

I'm talking about content, not aesthetics

While I don't think it's bad to release Smash on the 3DS, most of my issues stems from the design choices like identical rosters that held the Wii U version back. It upsets me that there are certain things they couldn't do now because the 3DS apparently couldn't handle it, things like transformations or cut characters like Ice Climbers, Squirtle or Ivysaur, and the Wii U version is suffering because of it.

I'm glad they made a 3DS version, but personally I think it would've been better if they made them different games, or at least gave them different rosters

Yeah, the cut characters are certainly disappointing, but at least they made as many new playable fighters as possible to make up for it. There will most likely be DLC as well(stage DLC at least is basically confirmed), so hopefully some of which will be for those cut characters, whether it being for missing veterans(such as after working out the kinks the Ice Climbers seem to have on 3DS so they can be released for both versions) or perhaps highly requested new fighters like Ridley. All wishfull thinking at this point though. :/
  • Brohoof 1

But it's a problem. They desperately need to be moving Wii U systems. But instead they just put one of their biggest most-system selling titles on the 3DS, too. They essentially said "Oh, here have the new SSB on the 3DS. You don't even have to buy a Wii U for it"

And few will buy a Wii U for it. So many already have a 3DS, and they'll think "Well, it would have been cool to have SSB on the Wii U, but that's too expensive for a game that I essentially already own... They even have the same characters." Sooo many of my friends have a 3DS, and I guarantee they won't be getting a Wii U ever now.

So question: I live in Wisconsin. When will the game be available to download through the E-shop? Midnight or 2? or 9? or whenever?

EDIT: Ignore me. Downloading it already

Edited by Barbaloot

I live with 2 smashers (my husband and his best friend), so we're all getting the 3ds one. We also plan on getting a wii u version later to all play together with gamecube controllers. It's exciting. I'm more new to it all, but my husband is a super Ike user. I hope to be good with Shulk, and Greninja (even though I'm not much of a modern Pokemon fan) is starting to look like an interesting character as well. I think Little Mac could be really good, but he's made for more ground fighting than anything. If his air moves were better, he'd probably be a main of mine.

On an off note, Little Mac is a feather weight weighing 105 lbs. Bull...I weigh somewhere around that much. There's no way those steroid muscles leave him at 105 unless he has anchor arms (spongebob reference, pulled from my childhood).

But it's a problem. They desperately need to be moving Wii U systems. But instead they just put one of their biggest most-system selling titles on the 3DS, too. They essentially said "Oh, here have the new SSB on the 3DS. You don't even have to buy a Wii U for it"

And few will buy a Wii U for it. So many already have a 3DS, and they'll think "Well, it would have been cool to have SSB on the Wii U, but that's too expensive for a game that I essentially already own... They even have the same characters." Sooo many of my friends have a 3DS, and I guarantee they won't be getting a Wii U ever now.

Yeah, I get it. I've certainly thought about it, and I do think it was at least a dumb decision to not release the Wii U version first. Definitely would've helped a great many matters more, but nothin' we can do about it. :unsure:

I think the Wii U will continue suffering after this holiday, Smash usually boosts consoles sky high, but now that smash is available on the 3ds for a cheaper price, I think that version is what people are going to go for, parents won't buy a Wii U for their kids just for smash, they will buy the 3ds edition because it is cheaper.

I still have hope in the Wii U don't get me wrong, it still has Zelda, star fox and pokemon (pokken) up it's sleeve.

but those come out later next year, and those franchises are not as big and as well known as Mario (excluding pokemon).

Maybe the Wii U edition will have exclusive characters, maybe Sakurai is just trolling us, who knows.

there is this rumour going around about a mode in smash Wii U called 'Tower of Smash', it sounds interesting, look it up.

Edited by Lankman