Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any Godzilla/kaiju fans here?

zerox

• 4 weeks later...

I love the movies may it be the Japanese ones, and the one by Legendary Pictures. Asides from Godzilla, my favorite kaiju is King Ghidorah. I always did like his design with him being a 3 headed monster and all. Almost forgot, also like the present Godzilla as well, personally, that was an awesome monster as well. :D

Edited by We_R_VeNoM
  • Brohoof 2

I love the old Godzilla/ Gamera movies. (Hell even the most recent one "Shin Godzilla" was pretty damn good)

My favorite Kaiju are:

#1 Mothra (the fluffiest incarnation preferably =^-^=)

65fdcda4320e7a0c575d3e2de803f6f341afce91

#2 Ghidorah

29fe7a80065c2e69ac00e31e329075ca934ef286

#3  Anguirus 

5be70f97da0b615c3b87ca8c1a673a5be6dc47c7

(^Kawaii)

Also an honorable mention for Kamata-kun from Shin Godzilla

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 2

I was a fan of the older films quite abit, although I tended to like the enemy monsters a lot more. I used to watch them with my mom every Saturday morning when they ran them.

King Ghidorah has always been my favorite. Heck I even liked the US version of Godzilla that everyone hated several years ago. I went out and got the toys and everything. I was also a fan of of Rodan & Gamera, as lame as he sort of is now.

• Brohoof 2

Hi, @zerox! As your thread relates to film, it was moved to Media Discussion. I also gave it the "Film & TV" tag for categorization purposes. Thanks. :) 

• Brohoof 1

Godzilla is easily the most prevalent fictional character in my existence. My room is littered with Bandais of various monsters featured in Toho and Daiei films.

First exposure to the franchise was from a VHS rental that my dad brought home. In one night, we watched Starmaker's double feature pack of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs. Gigan. I was 4 years old, and I've been hooked ever since then.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Halberd said:

First exposure to the franchise was from a VHS rental that my dad brought home... we watched... Godzilla vs. Gigan. I was 4 years old...

Wow, if I was 4 and my first exposure to Godzilla was vs. Gigan, I'm pretty sure I would have been scared out of my wits xD 

• Brohoof 1

Oh I've been a fan since I watched the old Godzilla cartoon when I was 6. Got really into it from 03-06. Even attended the G-fest convention in Chicago, where we all got to see Final Wars in a theater. Watched nearly all of the godzilla movies, some of the stand alone Mothera films and even a few Gamera films. 

As far as monsters go, like many on here I am a King Ghidorah fan

Image result for king ghidorah 98

Gigan was my next favorite. Was excited when he was revamped and brought back. 

Image result for gigan final wars

After that would actually be Iris, from the Gamera films, which in regards to the 90s trilogy, are probably some of the best giant monster films out there. 

Image result for Iris, gamera

But as far as films, the original was an amazing work of cinematography, even today. Some films don't stand up as well in retrospect, but the first Godzilla vs. Godzilla film was pretty good. The 90s films were the most solid. Godzilla vs. Biolante is one I kept coming back too. Godzilla vs. Destroyah was a tear jerker.

Though my all tiem favorite was Godzilla: Giant monsters, all out attack. A darker, more realistic take on Godzilla that incorporates Japanese myth, history & folklore, with a godzilla that wasn't just a savage behemoth, but a force of malice and hatred as well. 

Unfortunately, the franchise hasn't had a good return. I thought the Legendary film was bland, boring garbage. Dull characters, convoluted plot, and hardly any godzilla. Haven't seen the new one, though while I'm hearing it's decent enough. 

• Brohoof 2

14 hours ago, K.Rool Addict said:

Wow, if I was 4 and my first exposure to Godzilla was vs. Gigan, I'm pretty sure I would have been scared out of my wits xD 

It took seeing Alien at the age of 7 to break me, so blood and gore isn't everything. Gigan was never actually scary to me. I thought he looked cool.

Original_Gigan_1972.jpg

• Brohoof 1

OK, this post officially has me wanting to do a Godzilla marathon now.

7 minutes ago, Halberd said:

It took seeing Alien at the age of 7 to break me, so blood and gore isn't everything. Gigan was never actually scary to me. I thought he looked cool.

I was never a fan of Gigan.. I always thought he was silly with the hooks for hands/claws. Must be hell when he had to use the bathroom. Of course who am I too talk... Ghidorah would have it a million times worse.

Did love his revamp though.

This pony is a huge kaiju fan! I have nearly every kaiju film on DVD, tons of figures on my shelf and quite a few of the Godzilla comics.

18 hours ago, zerox said:

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/godzilla/images/5/5a/GMKGoji.png/revision/latest?cb=20160430175609

this is my favourite godzilla reincarnation.

He was wickedly cool in this movie. I got a huge figure of this version years ago.

• Brohoof 3

On 4/29/2017 at 9:29 AM, Denim&Venom said:

Oh I've been a fan since I watched the old Godzilla cartoon when I was 6. Got really into it from 03-06. Even attended the G-fest convention in Chicago, where we all got to see Final Wars in a theater. Watched nearly all of the godzilla movies, some of the stand alone Mothera films and even a few Gamera films. 

As far as monsters go, like many on here I am a King Ghidorah fan

Image result for king ghidorah 98

Gigan was my next favorite. Was excited when he was revamped and brought back. 

Image result for gigan final wars

After that would actually be Iris, from the Gamera films, which in regards to the 90s trilogy, are probably some of the best giant monster films out there. 

Image result for Iris, gamera

But as far as films, the original was an amazing work of cinematography, even today. Some films don't stand up as well in retrospect, but the first Godzilla vs. Godzilla film was pretty good. The 90s films were the most solid. Godzilla vs. Biolante is one I kept coming back too. Godzilla vs. Destroyah was a tear jerker.

Though my all tiem favorite was Godzilla: Giant monsters, all out attack. A darker, more realistic take on Godzilla that incorporates Japanese myth, history & folklore, with a godzilla that wasn't just a savage behemoth, but a force of malice and hatred as well. 

Unfortunately, the franchise hasn't had a good return. I thought the Legendary film was bland, boring garbage. Dull characters, convoluted plot, and hardly any godzilla. Haven't seen the new one, though while I'm hearing it's decent enough. 

how was gfest? i wanted to go but I'm from europe so I didn't go.

40 minutes ago, zerox said:

how was gfest? i wanted to go but I'm from europe so I didn't go.

Oh geeze. Really gotta rewind. This was back in 2005. I'd say I had a good tiem. Never saw so much kaiju merch for sale. Went on a spending frenzy. Got autographs from the director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah and the guy who played the android in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. Partook in the Godzilla: Save The Earth game tournament. Made it past the first round w/ Kiryu before loosing the second w/ Destroyah. Seeing Final Wars in theaters was the highlight, as hearing the cheers (especially when GINO was killed) was the loudest I'd heard a theater at that point. 

So yeah it was fun. My first 3 day con. 

• Brohoof 2

anyone here remember tokyomonsters/Jim Ballard?

anyways I have also bought same R2 dvd from japan and got some godzilla merchandise when I went to La. went to some japanese store in little tokyo. that was in 2007.

7 hours ago, zerox said:

anyone here remember tokyomonsters/Jim Ballard?

The guy is very smart, if a bit arrogant at times. But he's still a nice person who certainly knows more about Japanese culture than most in the Western part of the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

Bumped because I feel it's worth bringing up:

Yoshimitsu Banno, who was the last surviving Showa Godzilla director, has passed away at the age of 86. The day of his passing was May 7th. He is known for directing Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971), and was infamously chided by long time producer Tomoyuki Tanaka, who claimed that Banno "ruined Godzilla." Of course, Tanaka wouldn't live to see the monstrosity that would come from TriStar 27 years later. Banno's most recent credit was an executive producer role in Legendary Pictures's Godzilla (2014).

http://sidelongglancesofapigeonkicker.blogspot.com/2017/05/remembering-yoshimitsu-banno.html

• 11 months later...

Believe it or not.....it was the 1998 "Godzilla" film that for me hooked on Godzilla... :/ I feel very ashamed now...

On 28/4/2017 at 11:40 PM, Halberd said:

Godzilla is easily the most prevalent fictional character in my existence. My room is littered with Bandais of various monsters featured in Toho and Daiei films.

First exposure to the franchise was from a VHS rental that my dad brought home. In one night, we watched Starmaker's double feature pack of Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla and Godzilla vs. Gigan. I was 4 years old, and I've been hooked ever since then.

Dude.I had the same double feature VHS pack.

I actually still have my copy of Godzilla vs. Gigan! ( the Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla tape got thrown away sadly) my brother had found it at a thrift shop for less than a dollar.

Most of the Godzilla films I started off with were in VHS format.All of the tapes I bought at Thrift shops for a dollar lel