How could Rainbow Dash afford her home?

ggg-2

Rainbow Dash's home in Ponyville appears to be a full sized mansion, but how did she afford it? Yes, Dashie's a Wonderbolt now, but Dash has been living in this mansion since before Newbie Dash. Does the weather team just pay that well?

Just now, Babyyoshi309 said:

Her parents probably bought it for her. B)

Yeah, that was my old headcanon... except we just saw them in the show at last, and they're not rich like I headcanoned.

3 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

Yeah, that was my old headcanon... except we just saw them in the show at last, and they're not rich like I headcanoned.

Unless they blew their bits on their daughter's pad. :P

• Brohoof 1

I figured that she made it. Seems almost unfair for the other ponies who can't manipulate clouds into a living situation though, haha.

• Brohoof 4

On 5/22/2017 at 7:25 PM, Meeps said:

I figured that she made it. Seems almost unfair for the other ponies who can't manipulate clouds into a living situation though, haha.

Her house is not made completely out of clouds. Only the exterior coating is cloud. The inside is solid materials.

On 5/22/2017 at 2:51 PM, Daring_Do said:

True, another possible explanation is that she used to be the head weather pony for Ponyville. Which is probably a very well paying job. So she probably got the money that way.

• Brohoof 1

On 5/22/2017 at 5:51 PM, Daring_Do said:

I dunno, that plate collection may have been expensive. Just because someone has money doesn't mean they utilize their wealth on a dwelling. They also live in a cloud city so there may be restrictions on building size. Since Dash lives in a standalone building, there may not be the same restrictions. 

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash is clearly a retired criminal. 

^She didn't even bat an eye at the thought of breaking back into that hospital to steal something as insignificant as a book. And all this was just in order to avoid embarrassment at the hoof of Twilight seeing her eating her own words as she asks to borrow the Daring Do book from her library. That tells me Rainbow Dash very clearly has done this sort of thing countless times in the past. Otherwise, she would have exhibited far more reluctance to engage in such a "taboo" act like breaking and entering, not to mention stealing the book in question.

No doubt, Rainbow Dash's incredible physical aptitude has aided her in her past "escapades".

Think about it. She was clearly the type to not second guess hanging out with a "bad influence" like Gilda; who's to say she was never swept up in more criminal activities with her old friends at flight camp/ Cloudsdale? :o 

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

I dunno, that plate collection may have been expensive. Just because someone has money doesn't mean they utilize their wealth on a dwelling. They also live in a cloud city so there may be restrictions on building size. Since Dash lives in a standalone building, there may not be the same restrictions. 

Well, it's not just their house (though that's part of it); Bow Hothoof, at least, has a definite blue collar feel to him.

• Brohoof 1

Well, the cost of materials is probably low or non-existent due to it being made out of clouds. And she is a Wonder-Bolt which probably pays at least a livable wage. Considering that is a combat force and a show force.

5 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

Well, it's not just their house (though that's part of it); Bow Hothoof, at least, has a definite blue collar feel to him.

I don't know. When I apply my personal experience to that statement, the argument doesn't hold up well. 

3 hours ago, Babyyoshi309 said:

Her house is not made completely out of clouds. Only the exterior coating is cloud. The inside is solid materials.

Still, building materials. Seems much easier to "cloud bust" the foundation up instead of harvesting wood, forming bricks, etc. lol.

The materials for homes aren't THAT expensive.  It's land & paying a construction company that runs the price up. You do the work yourself & it doesn't cost that much. The land and the clouds are basically free. IMO, if they're willing to do the work, pretty much any Pegasus could have a house like that.

No, what mystifies ME is "Where the Heck does the water for the fountains come from?, and where does it go?  Couldn't possibly be hooked up to the municipal water & sewer system (if any) :o

I always imagined that like other ponies it didn't really cost much to live in equestria...I mean I don't think Twilight pays bills in her castle or even at Golden Oak Library. Pinkie lives where she works like most ponies. Fluttershy does so much charity work I wondered how she could afford a home, but I assume both Dashie and Fluttershy were paid by the city or government of some kind for the work they do since Fluttershy doesn't appear to have a job other than taking care of animals in general. Course the show is rarely clear on specific jobs that ponies hold. We know a lot of them, but most of the ponies we have no idea what they do for a job so why would that be any different than with the Mane Six. I mean who's to say Dashie didn't scrimp and save and have to pay off a loan to get her house just like anypony else.

On 5/22/2017 at 3:29 PM, The Nth Doctor said:

It's made from clouds and she's been shown to be able to whip 'em up in a matter of seconds, so I doubt it costs that much (or anything) to maintain.

This has always been my headcanon theory. Rainbow Dash gets it easy. I'm more confused about how Fluttershy is able to afford a house. Twilight has her castle that sprouted from the ground. Pinkie Pie and Rarity live in the same place they works at. Applejack lives on her family farm that appears profitable. The only plausible explanation for me is that Fluttershy gets some sort of housing stipend from the government in order to do her work with local wildlife on the edge of the Everfree Forest. She probably gets paid to pet-sit, too.

• Brohoof 2

Fluttershy is a real mystery, since there's no indication at all of her having a job of any kind. I had a theory recently that maybe she's actually mostly self-sufficient, maybe occasionally bartering or selling small things (like eggs from her chickens) for a few bits.

27 minutes ago, Ayvid_Reader said:

I always imagined that like other ponies it didn't really cost much to live in equestria...I mean I don't think Twilight pays bills in her castle or even at Golden Oak Library. Pinkie lives where she works like most ponies. Fluttershy does so much charity work I wondered how she could afford a home, but I assume both Dashie and Fluttershy were paid by the city or government of some kind for the work they do since Fluttershy doesn't appear to have a job other than taking care of animals in general. Course the show is rarely clear on specific jobs that ponies hold. We know a lot of them, but most of the ponies we have no idea what they do for a job so why would that be any different than with the Mane Six. I mean who's to say Dashie didn't scrimp and save and have to pay off a loan to get her house just like anypony else.

As for Twilight, though... Princess Celestia arranged for her to stay at the library in the pilot, so maybe Celestia has something to do with her being able to live there permanently. I mean, the library is probably a public building, right? Would she really have to pay bills?

As for her castle, why would she pay bills for that? She's royalty now, it's her castle, and it literally sprouted out of the ground.

Of course, if by "bills" you just mean general living expenses... Pre-princesshood, I figure she was getting some scholarship money from Celestia's school, or a royal stipend from Celestia. Post-princesshood... I don't think the royals have to worry about their personal expenses. It probably all comes out of the royal treasury.

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Daring_Do said:

Fluttershy is a real mystery, since there's no indication at all of her having a job of any kind. I had a theory recently that maybe she's actually mostly self-sufficient, maybe occasionally bartering or selling small things (like eggs from her chickens) for a few bits.

As for Twilight, though... Princess Celestia arranged for her to stay at the library in the pilot, so maybe Celestia has something to do with her being able to live there permanently. I mean, the library is probably a public building, right? Would she really have to pay bills?

As for her castle, why would she pay bills for that? She's royalty now, it's her castle, and it literally sprouted out of the ground.

Of course, if by "bills" you just mean general living expenses... Pre-princesshood, I figure she was getting some scholarship money from Celestia's school, or a royal stipend from Celestia. Post-princesshood... I don't think the royals have to worry about their personal expenses. It probably all comes out of the royal treasury.

I can understand that.

16 hours ago, Prospekt said:

This has always been my headcanon theory. Rainbow Dash gets it easy. I'm more confused about how Fluttershy is able to afford a house. Twilight has her castle that sprouted from the ground. Pinkie Pie and Rarity live in the same place they works at. Applejack lives on her family farm that appears profitable. The only plausible explanation for me is that Fluttershy gets some sort of housing stipend from the government in order to do her work with local wildlife on the edge of the Everfree Forest. She probably gets paid to pet-sit, too.

Except the house is not made entirely of clouds... Like I said before, only the exterior is clouds, the interior is solid materials. :twi:

• Brohoof 1