Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Ponyville such a hotspot for monster attacks?

ManaMinori

Not just m onsters, but other crazy happenings, too. I get that its close to the Everfree forest, but I doubt all of the crazies come from there. Ponyville is the hotbed of strange occurrences, while few other pony communities are.  Does it have something to do with earth ponies settling there? Why did Sunbutt allow settlers to move there, if she know what kind of dangers there would be? (Unless the valley was peaceful before the settlers arrived)

• Brohoof 1

Maybe monsters view Ponyville as the easiest place to attack given how docile its citizens can be. Though, I wouldn't say it was a hotspot as I'm sure other places across Equestria have got their own problems to deal with in terms of monsters. It's just we don't hear enough from those places to have solid evidence of the fact.

Let's think about it like this: 

1. Poniville is on the Edge of the Everfree Forrest. The Everfree is considered a haven for all sorts of monsters and creatures and is thought to be "Unnatural" by the residents of the town. The large amount of Magical Locations inside the Forrest: The Tree, the Cloning Mirror and the location of Zecora's shack all point to the Everfree being very magical of nature which likely influences the Monsters and Animals inside its borders.

2. The Mane Six live there. Most Monsters are going to have to defeat the "Elements of Harmony" which are literally considered one of Equestria's main defenses against the unknown. Monsters trying to attack the Elements are likely going to see Poniville caught in the crossfire.

There's probably a reason why Poniville house prices have been so low lately!

• Brohoof 1

Obviously its Twilight's fault. Ponyville was quiet and boring before she got there. According to the Foal Free Press, "Twilight Sparkle thinks Ponyville is nothing but muddy roads and low class rubes."

Once Twilight got there, everything went down!!!

giphy.gif

• Brohoof 1

I kind of agree with what a couple others said, I think the main reason ponyville is like the hotspot for monsters is because it is the location the show takes place.

Maybe not though, lol

• Brohoof 1

Long ago, even before the Castle of The Two Sisters existed, it was the homeland of the free-roaming draconequui.

They romped, roamed and played all over the damned place - so much so, in fact, that the entire area soaked in a permanent dose of CHAOS... and even as the centuries passed and the draconequui slowly began to dwindle (for whatever sundry reason), that thorough coating of WACKYCRAZYWEIRD continued to persist.

Now, Nightmare Moon was DESTINED to return after a thousand years in exile, yes... THAT drama was supposed to happen, so it was to be expected.  However, the real dangers don't start rolling into the show until AFTER the release of Discord from his stony prison; once that occurred, all SORTS of mumbo-jumbo began happening because that underlying layer of CHAOS has a draconequus to generate CHAOS once again...

This would lend credence to the idea that Discord only CLAIMS to be the Lord of Chaos - truth be told, his chaotic energy might be considered 'fairly weak' compared to his fellow dragon-horses of old.  He gets away with being the LORD of Chaos because he's the only one LEFT... or at least the only one HE knows of.

That's my story, an' I'm stickin' to it. :lie:

I think it's primarily because of Ponyville's position adjacent to the Everfree forest. It is also smaller and has less infrastructure than larger cities like Canterlot or Manehattan. Other cities like Canterlot, Cloudsdale and Manehattan also have much higher elevation or are separated from the mainland.

In terms of plot, Ponyville is where the Mane Six live and it also houses the Castle of Friendship and the Elements of Harmony. It makes for a prime location for villains to attack. :umad:

My theory is because of the Elements of Harmony being located there and by that I mean the mane 6 themselves. Since it is the general location of all of them, then chaotic beings such as monsters and the like are probably attracted to that central point.