Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A theory about why Scootaloo has trouble flying

Mind Scape

5 minutes ago, Mind Scape said:

I stopped talking since I didn't want to continue arguing, and everything that needed to be said has already been said and there is no need to continue to argue. This whole feud could have been done a long time ago if we all just agreed to disagree instead of continuously trying to prove others wrong when most of the time that's just unnecessary. I didn't think I needed to say this, but some people are just being immature. I am not arguing with anybody on this post, so please don't try to argue and point out what is wrong here because that's being immature and not seeing the point. I'm also not being aggressive. Let's stop pointing fingers and just move on. Actually talk about what this thread was originally about, respect others' opinions even when you disagree, and not get aggressive. I've tried very hard not to be aggressive and I know it's hard for others too, but if we all genuinely tried to stay calm even when something angers us, we could discuss our opinions peacefully. I know there are people who were trying not to be aggressive, and trying to be respectful. Again I'm not pointing fingers, and I know that others have moved on, and I've moved on too. This post should be the end to the feud. 

I will include exactly why I edited my posts, and I'm sorry If I hurt anybody because I didn't include exactly why I edited it.

Thank you.

I'm sorry this turned into a huge flame war. I'm also sorry that I contributed to it and didn't stop it earlier like I should have. I only made the situation worse so I apologize. I took the proper actions to make sure it doesn't start up again so don't worry. I'm also sorry for not staying calm like I should have. As for this post, I have nothing else to say and I'd rather leave just to make sure I don't cause you any more pain but I hope plenty of new people come here so you can discuss theories peacefully once more. You deserve that much.

It's okay. It was a small little mistake and we all shouldn't have gotten so worked up over it.

I hope this post comes alive again, I'm sorry for everything, and I hope you have a good day.

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Butterquilt said:

I'm sorry this turned into a huge flame war. I'm also sorry that I contributed to it and didn't stop it earlier like I should have. I only made the situation worse so I apologize. I took the proper actions to make sure it doesn't start up again so don't worry. I'm also sorry for not staying calm like I should have. As for this post, I have nothing else to say and I'd rather leave just to make sure I don't cause you any more pain but I hope plenty of new people come here so you can discuss theories peacefully once more. You deserve that much.

It's okay. It was a small little mistake and we all shouldn't have gotten so worked up over it.

I hope this post comes alive again, I'm sorry for everything, and I hope you have a good day.

Thank you for the apology, but it wasn't all your fault. We all make mistakes, and we learn from them. All that matters is that we admit to the mistake and move on. And you haven't really caused me any pain so you can stay and talk about something else if you want. :)

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, Mind Scape said:

Thank you for the apology, but it wasn't all your fault. We all make mistakes, and we learn from them. All that matters is that we admit to the mistake and move on. And you haven't really caused me any pain so you can stay and talk about something else if you want. :)

No problem. That's true and I will try my best to learn from this one, I promise. Also, I agree. That is the best course of action to take. I'm glad I didn't cause you any pain and I'd be glad to stay in chat if I can think about something worthy enough to say. :rarity:

• Brohoof 1

22 hours ago, Mind Scape said:

I stopped talking since I didn't want to continue arguing, and everything that needed to be said has already been said and there is no need to continue to argue. This whole feud could have been done a long time ago if we all just agreed to disagree instead of continuously trying to prove others wrong when most of the time that's just unnecessary. I didn't think I needed to say this, but some people are just being immature. I am not arguing with anybody on this post, so please don't try to argue and point out what is wrong here because that's being immature and not seeing the point. I'm also not being aggressive. Let's stop pointing fingers and just move on. Actually talk about what this thread was originally about, respect others' opinions even when you disagree, and not get aggressive. I've tried very hard not to be aggressive and I know it's hard for others too, but if we all genuinely tried to stay calm even when something angers us, we could discuss our opinions peacefully. I know there are people who were trying not to be aggressive, and trying to be respectful. Again I'm not pointing fingers, and I know that others have moved on, and I've moved on too. This post should be the end to the feud. 

I will include exactly why I edited my posts, and I'm sorry If I hurt anybody because I didn't include exactly why I edited it.

Thank you.

You do realize you're beating a dead horse now? No one accused you of being aggressive, and all you're doing here is casting blame. It's over. 

Edited by Ganondox

Just a notice to everyone: I appreciate that what escalated into a bit of a flame war has now ended, but I do implore people to keep their emotions in check. I've seen plenty of worse arguments, but a lot of things said here didn't need to be said. Please be sure that it doesn't start again.

Thank you.

• Brohoof 2

Just to add to some theories, because there's a Summer Flight Camp for pegasi, it's possible that Scootaloo has trouble flying, not because she was never taught to fly, but she could of had an accident that affected her ability to fly well.  Considering she's a pony that tends to do a lot of stunts, it's possible she did a stunt that badly hurt her wings.

On another possibility, it could just be that Scootaloo is still too young to learn how to properly fly.  Judging by how old Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash looked in Fluttershy's flashback on how she discovered her cutie mark, in "The Cutie Mark Chronicles," fillies might need to be pre-teens before they can get proper flight lessons.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, StoryTail said:

On another possibility, it could just be that Scootaloo is still too young to learn how to properly fly.  Judging by how old Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash looked in Fluttershy's flashback on how she discovered her cutie mark, in "The Cutie Mark Chronicles," fillies might need to be pre-teens before they can get proper flight lessons.

I agree. I think Scootaloo's inability to fly is she's either too young or she simply hasn't mastered it yet. Flying seems to be pretty difficult, especially for foals. Excluding when they're really young and they have that intense phase of being amazing at whatever skill is specific to their race--

Twilight took a few episodes to learn not to crash-land when she got her wings lmao

• Brohoof 1

I'm more than a bit biased but I like to go with the theory that Scootaloo is disabled and her disability be something to do with the size of her wings or their muscle strength.

I guess it's possible she could be like Fluttershy and naturally have trouble flying but Scootaloo can't even hover for very long, so I don't think that's the case. Age could be a factor too, or it's possible she wasn't taught. The only problem is we've seen ponies her age (and younger) who can fly and surely Rainbow Dash or Twilight would've pointed out problems in her technique or taught her to fly, if need be? Especially since Twilight Time is a thing.

Whatever the reason, I hope it's expanded on in the future.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2017 at 5:07 AM, AnchorPoint said:

I'm more than a bit biased but I like to go with the theory that Scootaloo is disabled and her disability be something to do with the size of her wings or their muscle strength.

I guess it's possible she could be like Fluttershy and naturally have trouble flying but Scootaloo can't even hover for very long, so I don't think that's the case. Age could be a factor too, or it's possible she wasn't taught. The only problem is we've seen ponies her age (and younger) who can fly and surely Rainbow Dash or Twilight would've pointed out problems in her technique or taught her to fly, if need be? Especially since Twilight Time is a thing.

Whatever the reason, I hope it's expanded on in the future.

Actually, I haven't even thought about comparing Scootaloo to Fluttershy so I'm glad you pointed the similarities and differences between their cases. They're definitely alike in a way yet Fluttershy seemed to not be able to fly out of fear while Scootalo hasn't been able to no matter how hard she tries. I honestly think age and or wing size definitely may be the issue. As a filly, Fluttershy's wings seemed bigger compared to Scootaloo's.

59b425f6e0e88_fillyfluttershy.png.812d0bc96fad3417600bbc57269aba87.png   scootaloo.png.c5bb08d04ca4d684a393c48aff6e467f.png

However, with that argument we come into the issue with the fact Rainbow Dash has a similar wing size as Scootaloo, so it's probably not a factor but it does make Fluttershy and Scootaloo different in a way.

59b426f628d06_fillyrainbowdash.jpg.8201152e560ce01ba92f1777406cc310.jpg 

I also really do hope they address this as they brought it up in Flight to The Finish so I hope they bring it all the way around and explain why Scootaloo has this issue, especially when wing size was possibly an issue yet Rainbow Dash could fly fine and as we can see from these images they have a similar wing size. I'm really curious to know the reason.

Edited by Kreamer
Gotta fix those typos
  • Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Kreamer said:

Actually, I haven't even thought about comparing Scootaloo to Fluttershy so I'm glad you pointed the similarities and differences between their cases. They're definitely alike in a way yet Fluttershy seemed to not be able to fly out of fear while Scootalo hasn't been able to no matter how hard she tries. I honestly think age and or wing size definitely may be the issue. As a filly, Fluttershy's wings seemed bigger compared to Scootaloo's.

59b425f6e0e88_fillyfluttershy.png.812d0bc96fad3417600bbc57269aba87.png   scootaloo.png.c5bb08d04ca4d684a393c48aff6e467f.png

However, with that argument we come into the issue with the fact Rainbow Dash has a similar wing size as Scootaloo, so it's probably not a factor but it does make Fluttershy and Scootaloo different in a way.

My headcanon for awhile is that they were siblings, Scootaloo just never mentioned it because she found Fluttershy to be uncool. Even their color schemes are similar. 

Scootaloo's parents must be shown sometime in the show. She is one of the mane characters who not have revieled her parents, same with Starlight and the princesses

Scootaloo & Spike are the only major characters with unknown parents, although Twilight's parents have only had a cameo in S1 E23 (The Cutie Mark Chronicles).

IMO, S is like Fluttershy. Some Pegasi are just late to fly.

I hope this isn't too harsh but I kind of hope Scootaloo never flies. I mean we've seen flying has nothing to do with her cutie mark so she can still live a successful life without flying. She's got her scooter that helps her be unique, why change that uniqueness. It could even tackle an issue for relatable to kids with permanent physical disabilities (more than "Flight to the Finish" did)

5 hours ago, sweetolebob18 said:

Scootaloo & Spike are the only major characters with unknown parents, although Twilight's parents have only had a cameo in S1 E23 (The Cutie Mark Chronicles).

I don't know if maybe you haven't watched every episode yet but Twilight's parents have done more than just cameo once (in fact I think they've appeared in the most episodes so far tied with Pinkie's at 4 and Rarity's behind at 3)

They were in the crowd of Shining Armor's wedding and Twilight's coronation. They also had spoken dialogue in "The Crystalling"

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:14 PM, KH7672 said:

I don't know if maybe you haven't watched every episode yet but Twilight's parents have done more than just cameo once (in fact I think they've appeared in the most episodes so far tied with Pinkie's at 4 and Rarity's behind at 3)

They were in the crowd of Shining Armor's wedding and Twilight's coronation. They also had spoken dialogue in "The Crystalling"

I don't channel surf, but I usually read & watch TV at the same time.  (Used to drive my father nuts)  Thus, I tend to miss background ponies.  I blame the fact that I missed them in The Crystalling on the time between The Cutie Mark Chronicles & that episode.

As for Scootaloo never flying,  I think that's why she lives in Ponyville.  IMO, Fluttershy falling from Flight Camp was probably a very notorious incident.  Scootaloo's parents probably moved groundside after that, lest their precious little Scootie fall down & go boom (or worse, go SPLAT!).  

But, I think that the show might focus on Scootaloo trying to fly.  IMO, now that the Crusaders have their marks it's about their only plausible purpose left.