Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Why is Rumble being a jerk?

ggg-2

An episode we've known about a while, Marks and Recreation, is about the CMC running a cutie mark day camp and finding out that a camper doesn't want a cutie mark. A preview of this episode (and It Isn't The Mane Thing About You) shown at Hascon revealed that said camper is Rumble. But he was acting like a jerk about it. But why? Past appearances make him look like a sweet kid. As for other influences, the pony Rumble seems closest to is his older brother Thunderlane who, despite having a storm cloud as a cute mark (an image commonly foretelling trouble) and sporting a Mohawk, (a hairstyle commonly used as a symbol of a troublemaker), seems like a pretty decent guy.

Rumble never had a personality to begin with. His only line was explaining where Thunderlane was in Hurricane Fluttershy:

He's got the feather flu. He's down at Ponyville Hospital.

Besides that, he's only been in background shots as part of a crowd. And how he was represented in those crowd shots is more due to what the animator of that scene was doing, rather than an idea of a writer.

Besides, the way he's acting might be specifically tied to his own personal fears and feelings about cutie marks, which is something that was never really brought up even when he was around previously.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 1

I don't believe he is being a jerk exactly. I actually think he is projecting his own fears about a nebulous and uncertain future to others in an attempt at validating his own self-soothing philosophy he created to counter his anxieties.

I think that's the moral behind this, that a cutie mark isn't something that limits you, that ponies are more complex than their butt tattoos. Rumble is likely petrified at being held back by a mark. 

On 9/11/2017 at 8:06 PM, Ryanmahaffe said:

And the song is catchy ^_^

Yes! It's nice to have another Broadway styled song. :D

Many of us assumed Rumble was a 100% sweet filly-looking and acting colt, due to his fillyish voice, but that wasn't much to work with actually. Also, him acting like that is not necessarily him being a jerk, but acting on fears and insecurities 

On 12 september 2017 at 2:06 AM, Ryanmahaffe said:

We know nothing about Rumble, he is just a backround pony, how he is acting completely matches his look at least.

Which song? :pinkie: Can I see it?

1 hour ago, Hierok said:

Yes, but this was a really odd change. He now sounds like he 30. :orly:

Well I gather that the CMC are pretty much late ish teens now, and Rumble is probably the same age, so his age being 16-25 makes sense now.

• Brohoof 1

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:06 PM, Ryanmahaffe said:

Upon hearing it in this preview it immediately became my favorite song of this season, displacing Pear Butter's song from that spot. I'm really looking forward to this episode now, and am curious whether they'll resolve the issue by making him "see the light" and getting a mark, or if he gets to stay a blank flank along with his friends like Pip. (I didn't even realize Pipsqueak still lacked a mark.)

Of course, I asked the same question about Pharynx and they went halfway with him - changing him over but allowing him to keep his dark colors and gruff, military-minded personality.

Maybe Rumble will do the same and get a -- question mark? XD