Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if the movie doesn't get released on October 6?

FirePuppy

I think the hype train should come to a halt and become a "panic" train. With only 18 days left and Hasbro apparently caring even less about this movie (they didn't play the trailer in most theaters nor gave us any TV spots anywhere), I'm getting the feeling this movie will get delayed at some point before its scheduled release.

Edited by FirePuppy

This film is not going to be a blockbuster release accompanied by massive fanfare like a Disney or Dreamworks film would be, it has a much smaller budget and will attract only a fairly modest return.  Hasbro aren't going to spend millions on marketing for it because that would only reduce their profit margin.  It's not unusual at all for films derived from cartoons aimed primarily at children to come out quietly.

I wouldn't worry about it being delayed if there has been no announcement to that effect, just keep an eye on your local cinema listings to make sure you don't miss it because it may not get an awful lot of screenings at any given cinema.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 2

36 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

This film is not going to be a blockbuster release accompanied by massive fanfare like a Disney or Dreamworks film would be, it has a much smaller budget and will attract only a fairly modest return.  Hasbro aren't going to spend millions on marketing for it because that would only reduce their profit margin.  It's not unusual at all for films derived from cartoons aimed primarily at children to come out quietly.

I can tell you this, though -- the budget of this film is BIGGER than The Emoji Movie's ($65 to $50 million), and also a little bigger than Smurfs the Lost Village's ($65 to $60 million).

Remember, Hasbro doesn't need to advertise it heavily because the people that gonna watch also watch the show and know of it. The emoji movie is an individual movie and it's important that people know about it.

• Brohoof 1

Said this for almost 2 years and it seems like my predictions prove to be right. This movie will never be the big blockbuster everyone expected like a Pixar or Disney movie and saving the 2D animation genre at the same time. I knew why i didn't jumped on the hype train

The movie will start as planned. Delaying it will kill it even more.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

Said this for almost 2 years and it seems like my predictions prove to be right. This movie will never be the big blockbuster everyone expected like a Pixar or Disney movie and saving the 2D animation genre at the same time. I knew why i didn't jumped on the hype train

The movie will start as planned. Delaying it will kill it even more.

Really, though considering the show. I don't think a big blockbuster would work. MLP is most small slice of life type stories. I think the movie should fallow in the same vain. 

A lack of TV spots does not equal delay of the movie. Lots of movies get limited advertisment and still release in theaters normally without delay. The only time a movie gets delayed is if the people working on it aren't done with it yet which they are. It not being successful at the box office? Probably more likely but it being delayed or canceled seems like a huge leap in logic, eapecially since I've still seen merchandise for the movie even without the advertisment. Mlp is a toy based property remember.

• Brohoof 3

9 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

A lack of TV spots does not equal delay of the movie. Lots of movies get limited advertisment and still release in theaters normally without delay. The only time a movie gets delayed is if the people working on it aren't done with it yet whicj they are. It not being successful at the box office? Probably more likely but it being delayed or canceled seems like a huge leap in logic, eapecially since I've still seen merchandise for the movie even without the advertisment. Mlp is a toy based property remember.

And i think that's what Hasbro is more after, selling their toys that they make for this movie. The Movie is more or less just a commercial for them, but the real money is with the toys.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, FirePuppy said:

I think the hype train should come to a halt and become a "panic" train. With only 18 days left and Hasbro apparently caring even less about this movie (they didn't play the trailer in most theaters nor gave us any TV spots anywhere), I'm getting the feeling this movie will get delayed at some point before its scheduled release.

Hasbro doesn't get a say in where the trailer goes per the NATO Quadrant system. The distributors of the exhibited film a trailer would be 'attached' to, NATO, and the chains/theaters make the call -- and there is some political maneuvering. The movie is not getting delayed. It's locked in and has gone gold. The drive masters are already set, advance tickets are already on sale. You have literally no idea how distribution of a film work. The distributor has to follow industry rules that were set up by NATO. Some are guidelines (like the trailer length limit) that have exceptions ... but this isn't one of them..

Word is that the total budget is extremely small, and that would include marketing. I kinda mentioned this before when I kept telling people not to expect a massive opening weekend. 

Also, I anticipate at least 2000 screens, possibly 2500. This data has yet to be released so it's only speculation. 

• Brohoof 2

58 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Hasbro doesn't get a say in where the trailer goes per the NATO Quadrant system. The distributors of the exhibited film a trailer would be 'attached' to, NATO, and the chains/theaters make the call -- and there is some political maneuvering. The movie is not getting delayed. It's locked in and has gone gold. The drive masters are already set, advance tickets are already on sale. You have literally no idea how distribution of a film work. The distributor has to follow industry rules that were set up by NATO. Some are guidelines (like the trailer length limit) that have exceptions ... but this isn't one of them..

Word is that the total budget is extremely small, and that would include marketing. I kinda mentioned this before when I kept telling people not to expect a massive opening weekend. 

Also, I anticipate at least 2000 screens, possibly 2500. This data has yet to be released so it's only speculation. 

And this is why I'm going into the movie expecting a fun ride and not for the movie to break any records or win awards.

People who think that I feel will be highly disappointed when the movie comes out. It's probably not gonna be Disney levels of success. Even ignoring the quiet advertisments, how often does a movie based off a TV show do really well? I mean sure there are outliers like The Rugrats Movie and the Spongebob Movie, but those shows were at the hight of their popularity when their movies came out. It's probably why they don't really do theatrical releases of movies based on TV shows anymore. MLP isn't as big as it was a few years ago. And hey, a movie not doing we doesn't mean it's a bad movie, just look at The Powerpuff Girls Movie.

• Brohoof 3

37 minutes ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

And this is why I'm going into the movie expecting a fun ride and not for the movie to break and records or win awards.

Precisely what I'm doing. My excitement has jumped up a little after the Sia music video, but it's an excitement that (like you) is based solely on whether I think I'm going to enjoy the film or not. I am hoping I walk out saying, "That was money and time well spent and was worth the wait."

I don't need awards or box office records to justify my enjoyment of this franchise. It sounds like that's the general view of most people. 

7 minutes ago, FirePuppy said:

Finally, we got some TV spots.

Hey look, I was right. Funny, it's almost as if I have experience and friends in the industry. Now that some are breathing a sigh of relief I have to say this ... 

"What's Cable?"

Since 2014 Cable subscriptions are in a precipitous decline, as it becomes more of a 'dumb pipe'.  None of my neices and nephews have cable anymore, and TV spots are a shrinking value proposition because eyeballs are bank. That's important because they are the target demographic. It's more and more digital streaming now. They consume Pony via ad-free sources and this is increasingly common and one of the reasons TV ad buys are less lucrative. 

I will keep an eye out if these surface as internet spots. 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, ChikoritaCheezits said:

And this is why I'm going into the movie expecting a fun ride and not for the movie to break any records or win awards.

People who think that I feel will be highly disappointed when the movie comes out. It's probably not gonna be Disney levels of success. Even ignoring the quiet advertisments, how often does a movie based off a TV show do really well? I mean sure there are outliers like The Rugrats Movie and the Spongebob Movie, but those shows were at the hight of their popularity when their movies came out. It's probably why they don't really do theatrical releases of movies based on TV shows anymore. MLP isn't as big as it was a few years ago. And hey, a movie not doing we doesn't mean it's a bad movie, just look at The Powerpuff Girls Movie.

Spongebob's second movie came out when the franchise was at it's lowest and it still made over $300 million.

Powerpuff Girls movie came out at a bad time period and had zero advertising or star power.

2 hours ago, Star Mist said:

I just want to enjoy the movie thankfully for what it is. I don't want it compared to other movies in the numbers or awards because that would simply take the fun out of it. 

This is pretty much how I view it. I'm not looking for anything ground-breaking, or anything to win at the Oscars. I don't expect that from the show, EqG, or comics. I just want an enjoyable, memorable movie. :)

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2017 at 11:47 AM, Jeric said:

Well toss a dress on me and call me Palpy ... I found a thing.

@FirePuppy

It's almost as if I did this statistics thing for monies in the real world for people who make these talking picture things. ;)

To everyone else, the movie isn't going to make bank. And the screen count confirms what I've been saying since  this forum section was created. The company has a realistic figure in mind and is shooting for that. 2500 screens caps the domestic totals too. 

Just go and have fun and enjoy it.  It's Pony and it looks better than I expected. 

• Brohoof 1