Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The WPCC Lounge

PinkieShadow

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

Ah, but proper application of oil is essential to the health of Eagles - so that's a catch 22 :)

Have you ever tried cooking fries using unrefined crude oil? I haven't and I never wanna find out.

Side note: extra virgin olive oil's off the table; I'm now using grapeseed oil to see what happens and the cooking experience so far compared to before is like night and day. May also consider switching to regular olive oil or canola oil as a cost-cutting measure. No, you can't run a car off of this stuff unless your car's designed to run off of biodiesel and I don't know what additional refining steps are needed to turn cooking oil in the kitchen into diesel fuel substitute.

11 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Have you ever tried cooking fries using unrefined crude oil? I haven't and I never wanna find out.

Not sure the sort of oil an eagle uses for its flght feathers counts either; its an oily secretion, and doesn't smell particularly nice (so presumably would taste even worse)

Side note: extra virgin olive oil's off the table; I'm now using grapeseed oil to see what happens and the cooking experience so far compared to before is like night and day. May also consider switching to regular olive oil or canola oil as a cost-cutting measure. No, you can't run a car off of this stuff unless your car's designed to run off of biodiesel and I don't know what additional refining steps are needed to turn cooking oil in the kitchen into diesel fuel substitute.

I don't cook fries - had a Special Somepony a while ago who wasn't willing to have a deep frier in the kitchen unless there was an extraction hood directly over it; she said it put grease deposits over everything in the kitchen, even with the room extractor running (and to be fair, she wasn't wrong).

I mostly go with potato wedges, seasoned, with a drizzle of gariic infused oil (currently rapeseed) and oven baked.

Sprinkled with minerals :)

minerals.thumb.jpg.822f319ecec80500d6f4dc335cd5604f.jpg

1 hour ago, Olly said:

I like the green color palate. Too bad its only for the day 

I remember this discussion between me, my brother, and a roommate over whether this one colour was cyan, teal, or aquamarine/turquoise. We were looking at the same colour but we gave it three different names.

Colours are weird; basically the line between colours (I'm sure I talked about this to death once) is arbitrary, cultural, and even personal. (I also separate green into three different greens: lime, green, and mint; and blue into two different blues: blue and indigo.)

1 hour ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I remember this discussion between me, my brother, and a roommate over whether this one colour was cyan, teal, or aquamarine/turquoise. We were looking at the same colour but we gave it three different names.

Colours are weird; basically the line between colours (I'm sure I talked about this to death once) is arbitrary, cultural, and even personal. (I also separate green into three different greens: lime, green, and mint; and blue into two different blues: blue and indigo.)

There are an infinite variety of hues based in one of the basic colors we know, or combinations of them. The tricky part is discerning when exactly a particular hue or color variant changes.  When does a shade of pink become red, or red-orange become either red or orange? 

Well, it doesn't really have a purpose we'll just name them as we like

1 hour ago, Olly said:

There are an infinite variety of hues based in one of the basic colors we know, or combinations of them. The tricky part is discerning when exactly a particular hue or color variant changes.  When does a shade of pink become red, or red-orange become either red or orange? 

Also what you see red, I might be seeing it as blue or vice versa

1 hour ago, Olly said:

Sometimes I see a depiction of a rainbow and I can't separate orange from red and yellow from afar.

41 minutes ago, scars said:

Insert Vsauce music here.

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Well, technically you could just use the RGB code on here - but depending on gamma, it may display differently on different screens, and depending on your genetics, you may not see it the same as the person next to you so...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15 hours ago, scars said:

I feel like it would be pretty hard to mistake blue for red. Unless you were colorblind 

1 minute ago, Olly said:

I feel like it would be pretty hard to mistake blue for red. Unless you were colorblind 

It's one of those complex things. red and blue are sufficiently far apart that the cones that respond to each aren't going to respond to a relatively pure sample of the other - but as the connections those make in your head aren't hardwired, which bit of your brain activates to which type of cone (and as the spot frequency and selectivity of each cone is a genetic thing, how hard it activates) can vary from person to person. while you associate blue with a specific activation (because you were taught that that is "blue") what someone else actually perceives as blue may vary (but they will know it as "blue" too of course, because that is what they were taught)

At least we only see in three colours. a mantis shrimp can see sharper, better defined images than we can, and can see twelve colours to our three. brain is too small to really appreciate that, which seems a shame, really...

33 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

At least we only see in three colours. a mantis shrimp can see sharper, better defined images than we can, and can see twelve colours to our three. brain is too small to really appreciate that, which seems a shame, really...

Birds can never appreciate the fact they can fly. Nor can cats marvel at how they can survive falling from extreme heights. But humans can appreciate our intelligence, which in some ways is the greatest gift of all. 

1 hour ago, Olly said:

Birds can never appreciate the fact they can fly. Nor can cats marvel at how they can survive falling from extreme heights. But humans can appreciate our intelligence, which in some ways is the greatest gift of all. 

And yet, our culture makes fun of or distrusts those who have knowledge or intelligence - idiocracy is a documentary...

So I overslept because I had a big idea in my head involving my Markov Text Generator: if I can store the first gram of each string in a story into a separate MTG, I can not only replicate replicate word patterns at the word level, but I can also do so at the paragraph level.

Do i need to explain what a Markov chain is...?

29 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

So I overslept because I had a big idea in my head involving my Markov Text Generator: if I can store the first gram of each string in a story into a separate MTG, I can not only replicate replicate word patterns at the word level, but I can also do so at the paragraph level.

Do i need to explain what a Markov chain is...?

Well, not to me obviously - and anyone else who is puzzled can always google :D

*passes Ganaram a coffee*

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

And yet, our culture makes fun of or distrusts those who have knowledge or intelligence - idiocracy is a documentary...

What examples come to mind

Just now, Olly said:

What examples come to mind

Governments (such as the UK and US) disbanding their scientific advisor panels because they keep telling politicians things they don't want to be true, Reactions to global warming, that sort of thing.

51 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Governments (such as the UK and US) disbanding their scientific advisor panels because they keep telling politicians things they don't want to be true, Reactions to global warming, that sort of thing.

That's true sadly... but likely to change

Rise up                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

i

s

e

u

p

• Brohoof 1