Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The WPCC Lounge

PinkieShadow

7 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

...and here I am doing everything but the requests in my queue (laundry, 3D renders, cooking, complaining about daylight savings, RunEscape, seasoning my wok...)...

So go do some - by making the offer, you have made a promise; you don't want to disappoint anypony, but if you don't even try, you will disappoint everypony (to paraphrase glimglam a bit)

Seriously though - its a free piece of art; if they don't like it, then it still cost them nothing,  If they were paying, they would get more input (although on that one, you might want to point them at /suited for success/ too :D ) so concentrate on doing the best you can (bearing in mind you will have to work with their colour choices and so forth, which I know you have strong feelings about) and of course improving your art style with practice...

3 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

So go do some - by making the offer, you have made a promise; you don't want to disappoint anypony, but if you don't even try, you will disappoint everypony (to paraphrase glimglam a bit)

Seriously though - its a free piece of art; if they don't like it, then it still cost them nothing,  If they were paying, they would get more input (although on that one, you might want to point them at /suited for success/ too :D ) so concentrate on doing the best you can (bearing in mind you will have to work with their colour choices and so forth, which I know you have strong feelings about) and of course improving your art style with practice...

No, it's not that. Well, it is that too, but I have to get done with everything else first, including my laundry...

Scenario I had play out in my head: one of my characters being a professor and admitting that she was the cause of her worst-case scenario.

12 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

No, it's not that. Well, it is that too, but I have to get done with everything else first, including my laundry...

No, you are procrastinating - while everything on your list sounds reasonable (well, apart from the complaining and gaming) the truth is, if you REALLY wanted to do it, you would have found or made time by now.  I doubt you would have even posted about it here if you weren't looking for someone to tell you to get off your ass and do it so... get off your ass and do it.  That you are able to respond to my posts here rapidly sorta points to the same thing...

Scenario I had play out in my head: one of my characters being a professor and admitting that she was the cause of her worst-case scenario.

This IS the worst case scenario; if you don't actually do it now, you won't get anything out of this experience but criticism and ill-will - while the worst that can happen if you do is that some ponies don't like it (which is their problem); but if they tell you what they don't like, and it is something you can accomodate, then you will have addressed one of the fundamental truths in art - that sometimes you are working on a commission piece not just art, and have to bend a little to make them happier (but only when you feel you CAN accomodate that, or you end up like rarity, making abominations for people who don't actually understand)

Edited by CypherHoof

4 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

And you're right, everypony has stuff to do in real life too.

You should not feel bad if for some reason you're unable to finish every request because you're doing it for free. While that would be the best scenario, in some cases there's the possibility that you'll get requests that are not realistic and the best option is not to do it.

1 hour ago, scars said:

And you're right, everypony has stuff to do in real life too.

You should not feel bad if for some reason you're unable to finish every request because you're doing it for free. While that would be the best scenario, in some cases there's the possibility that you'll get requests that are not realistic and the best option is not to do it.

Sure, but the best idea is to set aside *some* time - say, half an hour - in the very near future, then get started; if you then stop and play games or something that's fine, as long as you have had a stab at it. With creative stuff, you will tend to put aside half an hour "to get started" then look up and its dark again though :D

22 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Sure, but the best idea is to set aside *some* time - say, half an hour - in the very near future, then get started; if you then stop and play games or something that's fine, as long as you have had a stab at it. With creative stuff, you will tend to put aside half an hour "to get started" then look up and its dark again though :D

It's a nice trick. Sometimes just opening Photoshop it's enough to get started for me

3 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Anyone else wake up too early because of the time change?

Nah, I actually wake up this early 

3 hours ago, VG_Addict said:

Anyone else wake up too early because of the time change?

Nope, because it doesn’t affect my country yet.

5 hours ago, scars said:

It's a nice trick. Sometimes just opening Photoshop it's enough to get started for me

Yup. If you are putting something off, then often it works well to just say "right, before I do anything else, I will put aside half an hour to get this started, then at least I can say I have done something" - because once you get past the initial hump, it often just works out after then.

5 hours ago, scars said:

Nah, I actually wake up this early 

Same here; had a poor night's sleep due to the weather (which is oddly like about this time last year really) but had to be up at 6am anyhow to head out to work....

So, uhh, remember that picture of Gemmy and her van and Trixie and her wagon? Yeah, turns out I managed to reuse the van in my 3D animation final and it's just another way of me reusing the same whatever over and over again no matter what the project or assignment is.

By the way...

• I did a Photoshop final that featured snippets of my pony art style while it was still at version 1
  • I then reused that final and the art style for making an entire website and the Photoshop final was used for the about me page
  • I reused the CSS for said website for a programming class, then reused one of the images from the same website as an illustration for a presentation
  • I salvaged the logo for that website to make a 4rd character and now his cutie mark is hidden in nearly everything I draw; requests are usually exempt from that rule
  • Once I figured out Blender, I used one of the renders as part of another presentation; I've snuck in a Blender render into a request once
  • I also used my Blender knowledge for the 3D models for two separate gamedev projects
  • I made a Markov text generator for fun and managed to reuse parts of its code for two separate assignments; the whole program was rewritten in Javascript for yet another assignment
  • I'm pretty sure there were plenty of assignments where I snuck in ponies somewhere because whatever

5 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

So, uhh, remember that picture of Gemmy and her van and Trixie and her wagon? Yeah, turns out I managed to reuse the van in my 3D animation final and it's just another way of me reusing the same whatever over and over again no matter what the project or assignment is.

By the way...

• I did a Photoshop final that featured snippets of my pony art style while it was still at version 1
  • I then reused that final and the art style for making an entire website and the Photoshop final was used for the about me page
  • I reused the CSS for said website for a programming class, then reused one of the images from the same website as an illustration for a presentation
  • I salvaged the logo for that website to make a 4rd character and now his cutie mark is hidden in nearly everything I draw; requests are usually exempt from that rule
  • Once I figured out Blender, I used one of the renders as part of another presentation; I've snuck in a Blender render into a request once
  • I also used my Blender knowledge for the 3D models for two separate gamedev projects
  • I made a Markov text generator for fun and managed to reuse parts of its code for two separate assignments; the whole program was rewritten in Javascript for yet another assignment
  • I'm pretty sure there were plenty of assignments where I snuck in ponies somewhere because whatever

Nothing wrong with asset reuse - I have had the same avatar pony since I joined :)

Pretty sure there's an inherent danger for not sleeping at all and not at least energising yourself (IE caffeination) so you don't look tired... (Also, I really wanna draw Trixiebug again but I'm torn between that and Glimmy...)

Reusing stuff makes school less harder. It makes me care more about finishing a project because It will be useful for like 4 teachers or even future projects

Just now, scars said:

Reusing stuff makes school less harder. It makes me care more about finishing a project because It will be useful for like 4 teachers or even future projects

If I have full reign over what a project is and I have tinkered with a prototype before, I'll be like, "Excellent, I have a past_project.TimeSinceStartingProject() headstart." Otherwise, if it's a snippet, then std::cout << "Wait, I think I tried this before.\n";

Hey guys! Been a crazy week, sorry for not popping in more often!

Been exercise, work, writing, and trying to squeeze in time to game.

By the way @Ganaram Inukshuk I never asked for your RS Username!

10 hours ago, Zkrahs Yek said:

Hey guys! Been a crazy week, sorry for not popping in more often!

Been exercise, work, writing, and trying to squeeze in time to game.

By the way @Ganaram Inukshuk I never asked for your RS Username!

Ganaram DI

9 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

*passes @Zkrahs Yek a coffee, and notes to @Ganaram Inukshuk that their first few OC requests seem to be very well received....

...I ended up falling asleep immediately afterwards... (I just had a final...)

1 hour ago, Olly said:

tumblr_oix2x3HdJE1qzk2upo1_r1_500.jpg

WOW! What a difference! 

I heard that jingle in my head. What the hell even is the 80s?

13 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Ganaram DI

...I ended up falling asleep immediately afterwards... (I just had a final...)

I heard that jingle in my head. What the hell even is the 80s?

Mine is Key Sharkz