Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sony will be sold to Disney

Karnak

Its looking more and more likely that Sony will be selling its film and TV wing, such as Columbia Pictures, Tri Star, Sony Picture Classics, Sony Pictures imageworks, and more. I have the feeling the once joked idea of Disney buying both Fox and Sony is no longer a joke.

Disney won't just gain Spiderman, they will gain 

Ghostbusters franchise

Men in Black franchise

District 9

Karate Kid

Jumanji 

Baby Driver

All the money in the world.

Evil Dead

Looper

The Shallows

Bram Stoker's Dracula

A Few Good Men

Groundhog day

Air Force One 

Bad Boys Franchise

21 Jump Street franchise

Anaconda

The Fifth Element

Ghandi

The Last Emperor

Starship Troopers

The Patriot 

Black Hawk Down

Panic Room

The Social Network 

Total Recall

Zero Dark Thirty

Django Unchained

Captain Phillips

Robocop

Fury

Edited by Karnak

I guess this is because Sony is performing poorly when it comes to films such as the Emoji Movie and Pixels so they've decided to go down the Disney route.

Edited by Photon Jet
  • Brohoof 5

6 minutes ago, Photon Jet said:

I guess this is because Sony is performing poorly when it comes to films such as the Emoji Movie and Pixels so they've decided to go down the Disney route.

At least with this Disney has Jumanji and Sony Pictures Imageworks now they own ILM and now Imageworks!

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, Karnak said:

At least with this Disney has Jumanji and Sony Pictures Imageworks now they own ILM and now Imageworks!

Wow, Disney is like an empire in our world. That doesn't mean it's bad because there are movies made by the company I adored watching. 

• Brohoof 1

"All the money in the world." Looks like Disney already has that. *wink wink* This is actually something that perplexes me. I didn't think that Sony was doing bad in the movie industry despite not exactly firing up the world with some of their latest stuff, Emoji movie kinda sticks out like a sore thumb. Yeesh, imagine if Disney decided to do something with that property? Disney properties made into an Emoji movie. Yikes.

The Emoji King.

Emoji Story.

Emojitopia.

The sword in the Emoji. (That one could be cool, given the name)

Just a few examples. :P

• Brohoof 2

I can see Sony getting rid of their movie division considering it’s sorta been a real dumpster fire lately, though I don’t know if Disney will actually want to buy them. I mean they have some notable movie franchises, but i’m sure all they want is Spider-Man back(heck I’m 99% sure the only reason they bought FOX was to get the film rights to X-men, Fantastic Four, and distribution rights to A New Hope)

• Brohoof 4

I have little doubt that Sony is selling their movie studio as the division has been losing money for years and they recently appointed the head of playstation as their CEO, so it's clear Sony's new direction is home entertainment.

However... Selling to Disney... I don't know about that.

It also would be TERRIBLE For consumers. Disney owns too much already, if Sony sold to them they more or less would own a majority of the film industry.

Disney in 2017 owned 21.82% of the market share and Fox owned 12.92%.

That means Disney more or less controls almost 35% now. If they bought Sony they would be gaining another 10% or so. Making their only real competitors... Warner Brothers... and... Comcast... They would basically be only a few years away from taking over the entire industry. It won't take long to chip away Comcast. Leaving only Warner brothers and smaller studios.

Is that a future we really want?

Has anyone went to buy Disney blurays lately? I went out to buy the Incredibles which is a movie that is over 10 years old... Many places still charge a full $30 for it. Disney charges top dollar for all of their products and now that they own Fox... I raced out to buy the Alien Blurays before they shot up in price. If Disney gains anymore market share we can say hello to ALL movies being $30+ because if we have no choices, we are forced to pay.

I love Disney's content don't get me wrong, but as a corporation... They are pretty shitty and anti-consumer.

13 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I have little doubt that Sony is selling their movie studio as the division has been losing money for years and they recently appointed the head of playstation as their CEO, so it's clear Sony's new direction is home entertainment.

However... Selling to Disney... I don't know about that.

It also would be TERRIBLE For consumers. Disney owns too much already, if Sony sold to them they more or less would own a majority of the film industry.

Disney in 2017 owned 21.82% of the market share and Fox owned 12.92%.

That means Disney more or less controls almost 35% now. If they bought Sony they would be gaining another 10% or so. Making their only real competitors... Warner Brothers... and... Comcast... They would basically be only a few years away from taking over the entire industry. It won't take long to chip away Comcast. Leaving only Warner brothers and smaller studios.

Is that a future we really want?

Has anyone went to buy Disney blurays lately? I went out to buy the Incredibles which is a movie that is over 10 years old... Many places still charge a full $30 for it. Disney charges top dollar for all of their products and now that they own Fox... I raced out to buy the Alien Blurays before they shot up in price. If Disney gains anymore market share we can say hello to ALL movies being $30+ because if we have no choices, we are forced to pay.

I love Disney's content don't get me wrong, but as a corporation... They are pretty shitty and anti-consumer.

Just because WE don't want it doesn't mean THEY don't want it. As you basically said, they're very anti-consumer. So what's the point of saying you don't know if it will happen? Do you think Disney is suddenly going to begin to care about their consumers? From all signs, that looks HIGHLY doubtful.

2 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Wonder how the anti-trust and monopoly laws will view this? 

I certainly hope that Disney will get punished for all of their attempts to make a monopoly. Those laws should accommodate that, unless of course money makes that not apply. After all, corruption of that caliber going unchecked is far from unheard of.

10 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Wonder how the anti-trust and monopoly laws will view this? 

Exactly this!

I don't mind Disney acquiring other properties, but after a while it's just going to turn into a juggernaut that is going to wipe out all the other studios because no one else will be able to compete. Then all we'll have is Disney's generic pap in everything. No more risks, originality or quality, just Disney churning out more of the same until the last of their fans will finally give up and say "Enough!" 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Exactly this!

I don't mind Disney acquiring other properties, but after a while it's just going to turn into a juggernaut that is going to wipe out all the other studios because no one else will be able to compete. Then all we'll have is Disney's generic pap in everything. No more risks, originality or quality, just Disney churning out more of the same until the last of their fans will finally give up and say "Enough!" 

Ya think that's something ?!?!

Once these two sales go through, Disney will practically own all major sci fi properties

Disney will own:

Alien franchise

Predator franchise

Star Wars(complete with A New Hope)

Total Recall

Starship Troopers

District 9

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Men in Black franchise

Planet of the Apes franchise

Looper

The Fly

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Fifth Element

Edited by Karnak

8 minutes ago, Karnak said:

Ya think that's something ?!?!

Once these two sales go through, Disney will practically own all major sci fi properties

Disney will own:

Alien franchise

Predator franchise

Star Wars(complete with A New Hope)

Total Recall

Starship Troopers

District 9

The Day The Earth Stood Still

Men in Black franchise

Planet of the Apes franchise

Looper

The Fly

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Fifth Element

They already owned Star Wars since 2012. Besides, it's the staff at LucasFilms that makes the Star Wars stuff.

And the Disney Parks already built an Avatar-inspired themed land at Animal Kingdom BEFORE they aquired FOX. 

8 minutes ago, Solar-Wind said:

Ugh. No, Disney. Get your grubby mits away from my favorite science fiction movies.

And I hate to feed the fire, but they will also own The X-Files

5 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

They already owned Star Wars since 2012. Besides, it's the staff at LucasFilms that makes the Star Wars stuff.

And the Disney Parks already built an Avatar-inspired themed land at Animal Kingdom BEFORE they aquired FOX. 

But not A New Hope. Now they make unedited versions of the original version available.

4 minutes ago, Karnak said:

But not A New Hope. Now they make unedited versions of the original version available.

If they do, maybe the Thousands of Star Wars Purists would finally settle down with the "We want the originals" cries! Then maybe I can finally go onto a Star Wars fansite without any Negative Neds.

Edited by WiiGuy2014

Oh and Disney will own Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Just now, King of Canterlot said:

I tell ya, these companies are getting way too big nowadays, they could practically be their own countries at this point :blink:

Well guess what we may have a new big one!

Viacom(Paramount) merging with CBS, and buying Lionsgate.

So we have two 

Disney-Fox-Sony

Paramount(Viacom)-CBS-Lionsgate

I hope it's only the film rights, not the video games. Because honestly, I'd hate to see Disney and Nintendo end up becoming mortal enemies out to destroy the other instead of friendly rivals who push each other to become better and improve the media industry as a whole.

Don't any of you guys agree?

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I hope it's only the film rights, not the video games. Because honestly, I'd hate to see Disney and Nintendo end up becoming mortal enemies out to destroy the other instead of friendly rivals who push each other to become better and improve the media industry as a whole.

Don't any of you guys agree?

I agree. I'm sure it's just film stuff.