Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Celestia wants to turn Equestria into a militia. Do you support it?

KillerKingBakudan

(edited)

If you haven't guessed, the idea was inspired from these short fan animations. Give them a watch if you can. They're badass beyond words.

So after the events of the movie, Celestia has been thinking real hard about all of Equestria's past conflicts, especially with evil tyrants and monsters like Tirek, Chyrsalis, the Storm King and so on. The one thing that most of them seem to have in common is that they hate ponies.... simply for being ponies. Ponies carry this stigma of being too happy and weak, and for the longest time, virtually no other species could take them seriously. Celestia believes that despite all the heroes and magical resources to prove the contrary, her subjects' way of life has consistently left them open to attack for centuries. And needless to say, she's getting fed up with it. She could assemble the Mane Six and all their allies each time a new villain threatens their country, but why keep doing that when she can discourage such threats in the first place with a drastic image change? Spreading the message of friendship is not enough. Everyone fears DRAGONS. Why not magical fucking ponies?!

After taking the alternate timelines that Twilight has witnessed into account, she decides that the best way to achieve this goal and mitigate all conflict is to turn Equestria into an all-powerful militia, where every citizen is elevated to "soldier status" and prepared to fight at all times. Her hope in doing this is to create the ultimate utopia, where peace can't be so easily taken from her kingdom. The ponies have always had superior numbers, so no matter what dark magic threatens the country, those numbers can finally mean something. And while friendship will still be an ideal worth sharing with the world, it won't be something villains can take advantage of anymore.

She declares her intention to instate mandatory courses to train ponies on how to better fend off villains. Regardless of class or occupation, they will have no choice but to participate each year. Martial arts and weapons training will become the standard for all three pony races. Unicorns will have to learn new spells so their magic becomes more potent at hurting their enemies. And all pegasi will have to attend the Wonderbolt Academy so they could maneuver better in the air, if not fly faster.

Understandably, not every pony has that fighting spirit. Some are too scared to engage in combat, even when their freedom is on the line. Others are just quick to condemn the use of violence altogether. So in response to this, Celestia is also proposing some mental training for anyone deemed too weak or inexperienced to face new adversaries.

Then there are ponies that are just physically incapable of defending themselves. Celestia has an easy fix for that too: all elderly and disabled ponies will be entitled to free bodyguard services.

To top it off, she also plans to slap ponies with a heavy fine if they refuse to cooperate. The rationale to this is that any pony who refuses to work towards meeting their fighting potential will be regarded as a liability to their fellow ponies, and if their defiance drives them into poverty, they bloody well deserve it.

Despite this, Celestia's plan is being met with some resistance. To quell all misgivings about the social outcome, and get the press to shut the hell up, she'll be holding a conference to discuss the matter with the other princesses, several politicians from every major Equestrian city, and lastly, delegates from every non-pony race. That includes you.

What do you say? Are you on board with making Equestria a home for the ultimate badasses, or do you feel that ponies would become too dangerous and hinder their own ability to spread friendship?

I don't know about you, but if I was being directly threatened, I'd be more than happy to have a pony friend that could kick ass and save my life. Even a background pony!

large.thumb.jpeg.156bbe985db3f515bd73ac7f73c43854.jpeg

Edited by KillerKingBakudan
  • Brohoof 1

57 minutes ago, KillerKingBakudan said:

If you haven't guessed, the idea was inspired from these short fan animations. Give them a watch if you can. They're badass beyond words.

Hide contents

So after the events of the movie, Celestia has been thinking real hard about all of Equestria's past conflicts, especially with evil tyrants and monsters like Tirek, Chyrsalis, the Storm King and so on. The one thing that most of them seem to have in common is that they hate ponies.... simply for being ponies. Ponies carry this stigma of being too happy and weak, and for the longest time, virtually no other species could take them seriously. Celestia believes that despite all the heroes and magical resources to prove the contrary, her subjects' way of life has consistently left them open to attack for centuries. And needless to say, she's getting fed up with it. She could assemble the Mane Six and all their allies each time a new villain threatens their country, but why keep doing that when she can discourage such threats in the first place with a drastic image change? Spreading the message of friendship is not enough. Everyone fears DRAGONS. Why not magical fucking ponies?!

After taking the alternate timelines that Twilight has witnessed into account, she decides that the best way to achieve this goal and mitigate all conflict is to turn Equestria into an all-powerful militia, where every citizen is elevated to "soldier status" and prepared to fight at all times. Her hope in doing this is to create the ultimate utopia, where peace can't be so easily taken from her kingdom. The ponies have always had superior numbers, so no matter what dark magic threatens the country, those numbers can finally mean something. And while friendship will still be an ideal worth sharing with the world, it won't be something villains can take advantage of anymore.

She declares her intention to instate mandatory courses to train ponies on how to better fend off villains. Regardless of class or occupation, they will have no choice but to participate each year. Martial arts and weapons training will become the standard for all three pony races. Unicorns will have to learn new spells so their magic becomes more potent at hurting their enemies. And all pegasi will have to attend the Wonderbolt Academy so they could maneuver better in the air, if not fly faster.

Understandably, not every pony has that fighting spirit. Some are too scared to engage in combat, even when their freedom is on the line. Others are just quick to condemn the use of violence altogether. So in response to this, Celestia is also proposing some mental training for anyone deemed too weak or inexperienced to face adversaries.

Then there are ponies that are just physically incapable of defending themselves. Celestia has an easy fix for that too: all elderly and disabled ponies will be entitled to free bodyguard services.

To top it off, she also plans to slap ponies with a heavy fine if they refuse to cooperate. The rationale to this is that any pony who refuses to work towards meeting their fighting potential will be regarded as a liability to their fellow ponies, and if their defiance drives them into poverty, they bloody well deserve it.

Despite this, Celestia's plan is being met with some resistance. To quell all misgivings about the social outcome, and get the press to shut the hell up, she'll be holding a conference to discuss the matter with the other princesses, several politicians from every major Equestrian city, and lastly, delegates from every non-pony race. That includes you.

What do you say? Are you on board with making Equestria a home for the ultimate badasses, or do you feel that ponies would become too dangerous and hinder their own ability to spread friendship?

I don't know about you, but if I was being directly threatened, I'd be more than happy to have a pony friend that could kick ass and save my life. Even a background pony!

Hide contents

large.thumb.jpeg.156bbe985db3f515bd73ac7f73c43854.jpeg

Yeah I support Equestria becoming militarily powerful, 

Especially if they try to take over the human world

Sounds too militaristic to me. Not to mention it sounds like Celestia would basically be enslaving the entire nation. I would just expand the Royal Guard instead, with multiple branches (ex: army, navy, pegasus air force, special forces, etc.). No mandatory service that puts blind nationalism and petty tribalism above each individual pony's dignity and personal beliefs about the use of violence.

So no, I would not support such a change. Sounds like Celestia's way of becoming an outright tyrant in her own right.

• Brohoof 1

Turning citizens into soldiers is never a good idea. Not only are you going to have an army of incompetence, but you also are putting everyone at risk when under attack. So no I do not support this idea. What Celestia should do is find the best ponies in each of her guard and create a special guard for intense situations. Skill will always be superior to numbers.

• Brohoof 3

To be fair, the plan wouldn't involve instituting a draft. Just saying. No person or pony would want to be put on active duty against their will, so of course everyone would be against that.

But in a world with magic stealing centaurs, specters and menacing changelings, I don't think they would object to at least being given sufficient knowledge on how to protect themselves from evil creatures and dark magic, and not having to rely on the same six ponies bearing elements of harmony to save them every time.

Even if you looked at our society in general, if you asked anybody if they'd want to be a soldier, a lot of people would say no. But they'd more than likely still want the benefits that come with being a badass. Nobody wants to feel vulnerable.

• Brohoof 1

Equestria’s power is built upon loyalty, laughter, generosity, honesty, kindness, and magic/friendship (otherwise known as the elements of harmony). Anything that would go against these elements would probably only hurt Equestria in the long run. 

Plus, look at how miserable the ponies were during the war with king sombra in the cutie re-mark! I wouldn’t want that!:(

• Brohoof 2

Just now, Rhythm Red said:

Equestria’s power is built upon loyalty, laughter, generosity, honesty, kindness, and magic/friendship (otherwise known as the elements of harmony). Anything that would go against these elements would probably only hurt Equestria in the long run. 

Plus, look at how miserable the ponies were during the war with king sombra in the cutie re-mark! I wouldn’t want that!:(

I agree. But the idea isn't about making ponies go to war. It's about making them learn how to defend themselves. The movie shows that they can be victimized at any time. The elements, as critical as they are to their society, won't do them a lot of good if they're helpless in some hostage situation. The Mane Six and the princesses aren't always going to be there for them. And if alicorns aren't immune to being stuck in changeling cocoons or turning into crystal statues, they can't be relied upon to resolve every conflict Equestria gets dragged into.

Yes, the ponies were stuck in many terrible realities in the Cutie Re-Mark, but as demonstrated in those two fan animations, scenarios like that would be even less likely to happen if every pony civilian felt empowered and stood up against every villain that came to oppress them, regardless if they're active service ponies or not. Under a nation-wide militia, they'd still be free to do what they want with their lives. They'd still work towards building a better world on the values of friendship. They'd just have more tools at their disposal to make sure no pony-hating creep tries to fuck with them!

• Brohoof 1

This idea does have basis in the real world. Israel applies the same principals to it's populace. No one dares invade it now. Not since the country won two wars against all of it's neighbors. Similar deal with Finland. Mandatory year of service. Still has a healthy economy and one of the best places to live on earth. And all this was after it nearly beat Russia in the winter war. 

Perhaps national conscription is a bit far fetched, but incorporating self defense training, emergency skills and mandatory weapons ownership into daily life and the educational curriculum is a very good idea. Look back at the movie.

Equestria had no warning. No survalence. No border patrol or crossing checks. Heck, even no royal guard. The capital and it's leaders were taken by a force smaller than Chrysalis and her army, in a faster amount of time, doing what they, and by extension Nightmare Moon, Sombra and Tirek couldn't: Take all three (eventually four) Princesses captive and secure the capitol in broad daylight, holding it for over a day. 

The party goers didn't know the first thing about self defense. Heck, they barley knew self preservation. And those six five ponies the princesses relied on? They couldn't save Equestria by themselves. The needed foreign aid to save the day. All of that absurdity could've been prevented had Equestria knew the first thing about defending their independence. 

Such a paltry display of defense will only encourage further invasions and raids, and that's why the citizens need to be able to defend what is theirs.  If friendship is so valuable, so important, than it's worth fighting for. Install a civilian militia. Require regular training. You may not have to be part of the Royal Guard or the EUP but you better well fight like it.

Defend your home. Defend your friends. Defend all that you love. If you're not willing to fight for it, do you really care about it? 

The ponies of equestria may never see another day of combat, but it's better to have those skills and not need them, then need them and not have them. 

And anypony who disagree's? Here's a reminder of what happened last time they had their way:

Related image

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually this plan might backfire pretty hard if all ponies from all 3 races were trained to be militias. Most of them are pretty incompetent so they might end up killing each other which can result in a massive civil war amongst them. :lol:

Also, it makes Celestia into Hitler since she would turn her authority from Monarchy to Fascism.

Support the Equestrian (aka Aryan) Race.

49558.png

So my vote is no.

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Forgot to vote. I say no.

Just now, ZethaPonderer said:

Actually this plan might backfire pretty hard if all ponies from all 3 races were trained to be militias. Most of them are pretty incompetent so they might end up killing each other which can result in a massive civil war amongst them. :lol:

Also, it makes Celestia into Hitler since she would turn her authority from Monarchy to Fascism.

Support the Equestrian (aka Aryan) Race.

49558.png

So my vote is no.

The irony to this is that militias are run by the people. So if it became an Equestrian law, the ponies would be given full authority to put a magic bullet in Celestia's head if they really felt she was overstepping her bounds. Lol.

• Brohoof 1

I would highly support the decision to arm and train all citizens in the art of defense against enemies. Overall this will make Equestria a stronger nation and show their neighbors they are not to be messed with. I do not think this would turn Equestria into a dictatorship or make Celestia a tyrant, because they would still maintain all other aspects of their government (such as having mayors and courts of law to govern regional areas) all Celestia would be doing is simply ensuring that at the end of the day, the citizens themselves can fight against enemies that threaten their homes and villages, without always having to rely on a greater power to stop the enemies.     

• Brohoof 2

one of the things that bums me out is that "deus ex machina" (is that how the trope is named?) is used too much, like most of the things that happens in the movie are just "because"

• Brohoof 1

I'm seeing a lot of people say no to an equestrian militia, but I'm not seeing a lot of alternative solutions. If ponies can't defend themselves, what is the solution then? 

Don't shoot down an idea unless you've got a better one. 

• Brohoof 1

Make the Royal Guards competent at doing their jobs, assign more of them, do patrol sections around Ponyville against possible threats, make some of them into Secret Agents (e.g. CIA/FBI Agent).

Celestia should make 3 types of Royal Guards: Earth, Air, Magic. Earth Royal Guards be like US Military while Air Royal Guards be like US Navy.

Magic Royal Guards will be like Secret Agents who’ll learn the Darkest and Forbidden Magic under Celestia or Luna’s orders to Protect Equestria. Kinda like DarkKnights from The Final Fantasy series where they learn forbidden fighting styles that can kill enemies while sacrificing their own life in the process. Or Ninjas/Shinobis.

They’ll learn Magic that’ll kill/destroy any potential threat and shall be used as a last resort. They’ll spy around potential areas around the world of Equestria where threats can pop up to warn Celestia.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
17 hours ago, ZethaPonderer said:

Make the Royal Guards competent at doing their jobs, assign more of them, do patrol sections around Ponyville against possible threats, make some of them into Secret Agents (e.g. CIA/FBI Agent).

Celestia should make 3 types of Royal Guards: Earth, Air, Magic. Earth Royal Guards be like US Military while Air Royal Guards be like US Navy.

Magic Royal Guards will be like Secret Agents who’ll learn the Darkest and Forbidden Magic under Celestia or Luna’s orders to Protect Equestria. Kinda like DarkKnights from The Final Fantasy series where they learn forbidden fighting styles that can kill enemies while sacrificing their own life in the process. Or Ninjas/Shinobis.

They’ll learn Magic that’ll kill/destroy any potential threat and shall be used as a last resort. They’ll spy around potential areas around the world of Equestria where threats can pop up to warn Celestia.

That's not a bad suggestion, but even the strongest chain in security has a weak point. If anything, giving every citizen annual training will make these extensions to the Royal Guard even more potent than they are on the surface. Because even though the ponies aren't required to take active duty, they could always be alert. And depending on the circumstances, they can either report suspicious activity to the guards in uniform, or failing that, deal with the problem themselves if they're being threatened and then report to the guards so they can modify their protocol.

At least this way, there would be no need for any pony to feel apprehensive about their homeland turning into a police state; the citizens would be doing most of the policing themselves just by living.

The current Royal Guard is utterly worthless, so the Mane Six and their closest friends are practically Equestria's only line of defense. Hence, they have to struggle consistently with villains attacking the country every season. These new Royal Guard branches would make it more difficult for sure, but with very thorough planning, as per the norm with villains, there's still a chance you can slip through the cracks and cause problems. But if you've got the WHOLE population on alert and ready to thrown down with you at the slightest provocation? Now you're definitely not getting away with it. That would be as futile as committing crimes in a reformed Gotham City where all civilians had the training and equipment to fight like Batman.

That's not to say that the Mane Six or the princesses would no longer be needed. They just wouldn't have to be on the front lines all the time. And that's a good thing. If a villain can't even figure out how to disrupt a music festival without getting Vinyl's turntable shoved up their ass, they won't be plotting conquests for very long.

Edited by KillerKingBakudan
  • Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, age3rcm said:

@zethaponderer

what about the agents of S.M.I.L.E. ?

Never heard of that. Say wat now? :confused:

I tried Googling it and SMILE Agents comes from an MLP Comic (Don’t know if Printed or Web). So idk about how to put them in my ‘Make Royal Guards Competent Again’ Plan. :lol:

@KillerKingBakudan Thanks. :P

Militias could be useful in isolated areas such as the Hayseed Swamp or places like Appleoosa where they could be taken before the royal guard was mobilized, however something such as the levee en masse that was adopted after the French revolution would serve better for quality troops and introducing a military culture beyond the glory of the wonderbolts.