Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

science How Do Crystal Ponies Work?

Wonderbolt Slipstream

They don't have skin or fur. Their outside is actually covered by a flexible, light-bending crystal, much like a partial invisibility cloak.

• Brohoof 1

I think there's a layer of water behind the crystal in order to allow an optical illusion that they are see through, so even if they ate something, you wouldn't see it going through them.  They can hear probably due to the vibrations that hit the crystal which would allow them to know what someone is saying or hear anything else for that matter.  I don't think they are 100% carbon but their shine and reflections give them the look that they are crystal which is flexible or they have microscopic spaces for joints that which allow them to move freely without breaking the illusion they have of being see through using a clear membrane to hold the water.  This is my speculation though on them but who knows.

Crystal ponies are essentially earth ponies only they're in tune with crystals, specifically the crystal heart, rather than plants/earth. The crystal heart casts an ongoing spell that makes them appear to have a crystalline structure that also makes them translucent. It doesn't actually change their anatomy.