Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most polarizing character in MLP?

Octavia Heartstrings

Starlight has become a prime example of that. Addition to the mane cast, a lot of focus, some people like her addition, but some don't. Some people like her backstory, some don't. Some feel she is too powerful, some don't care.

I guess Flash Sentry too.

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 8

21 minutes ago, ~Dusky~ said:

Starlight, and honestly, I'm not sure why people don't like her... :confused: I see more than enough people complain about her, but I never see real reasons why somebody wouldn't like a character...

As a big fan of Starlight, I get why someone wouldn't love her. Some think she's not sympathetic. Some think her personality isn't very strong. Some think she was given too much focus. I never really understood hating her though.

I definitely don't get it following season 8. She's not nearly prominent enough.

• Brohoof 1

1. Starlight Glimmer. I don't get the hate because I'm a late brony (post S6) and I got to see her development before reading any drama about her. I loved her as a villain, loved her when she took Twilight's offer and love her even more since she joined the main cast.

2. Rainbow Dash. I disliked her until I watched 'The Cutie Mark Chronicles', then I found her to be a love or hate character until I watched Sleepless in Ponyville. Scootaloo made me love Rainbow Dash, and even when she still gets on my nerves I like her a lot.

3. Pinkie Pie: She has always been an annoyingly adorable character, add to it that she's so over the top with her jokes and you got a polemic character. I have seen her annoying from the start (and because of that is one of my least favorite mane 6), but I've also learned to love her and when she has overly annoying episodes I can actually appreciate her good intentions and remains a lovable pony.

Honorable Mention. The CMC (as a group): I was shocked when I found out so many people found them annoying during the first seasons. I've loved them from the start and have enjoyed every episode in which they're protagonists.

Just now, ~Dusky~ said:

Twilight is my favorite pony and I didn't exactly feel that way... :confused: 

Its just the ones overprotective of 'MY Twilight Sparkle' and a newcomer becoming the new fish out of water type, and she was a villain and replaced twilight it got them salty. Sorta similar to Angel or Trixie people didn't like at first.

3 minutes ago, SugarCoatxMarblePie said:

Its just the ones overprotective of 'MY Twilight Sparkle' and a newcomer becoming the new fish out of water type, and she was a villain and replaced twilight it got them salty. Sorta similar to Angel or Trixie people didn't like at first.

Spoiler

I would say that it happens more with the Sunset lovers who feel that "Muh waifu should be in FiM and not that cheap copy!!!". :scoots:

• Brohoof 2

It may just be me, but I HATE Fluttershy's brother, Zephyr Breeze. I know a lot of fans like him, but I can't be the only one who doesn't. I find nothing redeemable about the user mooch!  I think Fluttershy should have called the police when he destroyed their father's cloud collection.

Zephyr_Breeze_grinning_confidently_S6E11.png

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, that’s been an ever evolving question, and while there have been characters that have caused short term drama, like Twilicorn, Flash, or Starlight, I think Rarity is still the biggest example of a polarizing character. She had a very large group of haters for years, and it wasn’t until season five that that hate started to die down. While I don’t think Rarity is a polarizing character now, I still think she had the longest run of controversy.

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Hmm, that’s been an ever evolving question, and while there have been characters that have caused short term drama, like Twilicorn, Flash, or Starlight, I think Rarity is still the biggest example of a polarizing character. She had a very large group of haters for years, and it wasn’t until season five that that hate started to die down. While I don’t think Rarity is a polarizing character now, I still think she had the longest run of controversy.

I think that Rarity is only polarizing at the beginning because she's based on the 'high fashion b***h stereotype', but since she never was really one... the viewer tends to understand her character and like her between seasons 1-3.

I started warming to her during 'Suited for Success' and started loving her at 'Sisterhooves Social'. I'm used to fans loving her ever since I started surfing brony sites.

7 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

I think that Rarity is only polarizing at the beginning because she's based on the 'high fashion b***h stereotype', but since she never was really one... the viewer tends to understand her character and like her between seasons 1-3.

I started warming to her during 'Suited for Success' and started loving her at 'Sisterhooves Social'. I'm used to fans loving her ever since I started surfing brony sites.

No offense, but you’re a self admitted late brony, but I was there all the way since season two. Any time Rarity did something remotely wrong, it was a full-on dogpile, especially when she did something that wasn’t “generous.” Sweet and Elite, Made in Manehatten, even Just for Sidekicks when Rarity gave Spike the smallest gem, anything and everything was an excuse to point out what a shitty person Rarity was. The drama was real, and it lasted until she had some highly positive character developement in season five.

Princess twilight is probably the one that generated most dissonance. I don't know why, though. She makes a good figure of diplomacy as the representative of friendship among different cultures, despite her tendencies to betray others trust, and succumb under pressure, becoming effectively paranoid. But that makes her more human in the end, if not more than human. She is above the average, being an alicorn, which is a good start for representing the concept of equality that is so common in friendship. I mean, it makes sense to accept her destiny, even if it wasn't her own choice. Because, after all, who's best to rule your destiny than an alicorn?

They're special, and sure Twilight is special too, now. Because princesses ARE special. Normal librarians and nerdy girls, not so much.

And sure this show is trying to appeal to special people, or treating normal people like they're "special" but that's only because they're making money off this special thing called childhood. The thing is, not everyone watching this show is a child, at least not mentally, I hope.

2 minutes ago, ShootingStar159 said:

No offense, but you’re a self admitted late brony, but I was there all the way since season two. Any time Rarity did something remotely wrong, it was a full-on dogpile, especially when she did something that wasn’t “generous.” Sweet and Elite, Made in Manehatten, even Just for Sidekicks when Rarity gave Spike the smallest gem, anything and everything was an excuse to point out what a shitty person Rarity was. The drama was real, and it lasted until she had some highly positive character developement in season five.

Can't argue with that, it is actually good to know. And I'm glad I didn't have to experience that period. :-P

1 hour ago, ShootingStar159 said:

Rarity was my least favorite pony until the episode "Rarity Investigates!" On the basis of one episode, she jumped way up in my opinion. Before that, I thought her very polarizing. Sometimes the fandom (and I)  found her quite unlikable. That's changed for me. I do love detective stories. I would love a spin off series, possibly aimed at adults, where Rarity spends her nights solving crimes in Canterlot. I want to see her solve a murder!

(Sorry Pinkie, but now you're at bottom!)

investigator_rarity__screenshot__by_akgolfactory-d9a66zs.png

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

Starlight Glimmer for sure. She may be the most popular polarizing character and the one with the most fans...but that's also exactly why I think she's the most polarizing one. Most every other polarizing secondary character, whether it be Trixie, Flash Sentry, or even Angel, had their hatebase decline considerably as soon as they became easier to ignore. Or in some cases, as soon as word got out that said polarizing character was improving. Starlight, however, doesn't get that luxury of blending in with the crowd since she's part of the main cast now. 

5 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

It may just be me, but I HATE Fluttershy's brother, Zephyr Breeze. I know a lot of fans like him, but I can't be the only one who doesn't. I find nothing redeemable about the user mooch!  I think Fluttershy should have called the police when he destroyed their father's cloud collection.

Zephyr_Breeze_grinning_confidently_S6E11.png

Zephyr Breeze is a parody of the college diva brat stereotype. You aren't supposed to like him before he changes his ways because he's supposed to show you the kind of person you don't want to be when you're at the point of your life where you need to take care of yourself. And while throwing out his dad's cloud collection was wrong, they couldn't have called the cops on them even if they wanted because he was not doing anything illegal. :P 

• Brohoof 1

I'd say Rainbow Dash and Spike. Rainbow Dash's arrogance was the major turn off for me. Some people can look past that but I can't. The fact that Spike doesn't do a whole lot leaves me bored with him sometimes. I know some people really enjoy Spike and I think he's an okay character but he should do more.

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

Starlight Glimmer for sure. She may be the most popular polarizing character and the one with the most fans...but that's also exactly why I think she's the most polarizing one. Most every other polarizing secondary character, whether it be Trixie, Flash Sentry, or even Angel, had their hatebase decline considerably as soon as they became easier to ignore. Or in some cases, as soon as word got out that said polarizing character was improving. Starlight, however, doesn't get that luxury of blending in with the crowd since she's part of the main cast now. 

Zephyr Breeze is a parody of the college diva brat stereotype. You aren't supposed to like him before he changes his ways because he's supposed to show you the kind of person you don't want to be when you're at the point of your life where you need to take care of yourself. And while throwing out his dad's cloud collection was wrong, they couldn't have called the cops on them even if they wanted because he was not doing anything illegal. :P 

His change wasn't enough. I still despise the character. About destroying his father's cloud collection? His father built that up over decades, and the smarmy user creep gleefully destroyed it so he could say "Look, there's room for me to move in here." I don't know about Equestria, but willful destruction of property is against the law.  Also, Zephyr Breeze is a legal adult in Equestria. he was forcing his parents to let him move back. That too, is against the law. There was recently an episode of Doctor Phil, about an adult man that refused to move out of his parent's house. The called the sherriff's department to get him evicted! This character has no redeeming value. After a lifetime of using and mooching, he's suddenly better in one day? Too little, too late. I love the show dearly, but this is one of two episodes of MLP:FIM, that I REFUSE to watch a second time. The other one is "Applejack's Day Off" In that one, they took the trouble in the first half to show you how smart AJ is. The second half ruined it by revealing that she's actually a blithering idiot.  In my mind, that episode doesn't exist.

1. Starlight Glimmer. I think she's always going to be here... and i know people like sunset more... I think Starlight is a more believable grey approach to a villain turning good. She messes up from time to time for being a bit of a sociopath. 

2. Pinkie Pie. At least lately, i think most people at least liked her in the first few seasons.

3. Spike. In the earlier seasons... most like him now.

4. Rainbow Dash. Same as Spike.

5. Discord. A lot of people like him... A lot of people hate him... For me it depends on the episode. I personally hate when he shows up in episodes where it would be fun to watch the dynamic of two characters like Twilight and Cadance or Spike and Starlight.