Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Daybreaker a actual thing in the pony world?

Winter Breeze

So, as you can probably already see from the title, the discussion is... Is Daybreaker really a thing in the pony universe. Here are some of my reasons for asking that:

So, you probably remember that when she first appeared, Daybreaker was in a dream sequence. A figment of Starlight Glimmer's mind. True, she did speak to Celestia as though she were sentient and not simply a mindless character set out to play a role, but we have seen that the Dream World is similar ot another dimension created by the minds of the ponies within it and connected by Luna. This does ot mean, though, that Daybreaker exists in the Equestria world. While she might be in the Dream World, which may or may not exist, she is not in actual Equestria, where regular Celestia resides. Does this make her real, I do not think so myself. She is simply a figment of Starlight's active imagination from her deadly dream sequence and I do not think that Daybreaker is the real dark side of Celestia.

But, hey. That is my opinion. I have created this forum post for the debate of this topic. Is Daybreaker really real? That is why we are here. Please leave a reply of sorts on what you think. I would really like to gather some opinions on this. Thanks!

large.png

I think it was real because it was a reflection of Celestia's inner fear.

I think the dream realm reflects the mind of someone inside of it. (If you see the way how Luna comes inside other ponies dreams, she doesn't abruptly breaks in. She turns into an object that doesn't clash with the background and smoothly comes into a dream to minimize her affect on others psyche.)

So my theory is it was Starlight's fear making a simulation of Nightmare Moon coming back, and an evil version of Celestia appearing too. Celestia's presence made it an actual, more specific Daybreaker from a more vague version of it which was Starlight's imagination before. I think Nightmare Moon was not a real incarnation because Luna already overcame it, it is just an image from Starlight's head. Daybreaker speaks and interacts with others while Nightmare Moon doesn't, and only does 'what Nightmare Moon would do'.

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura

True... That does make sense. Since Daybreaker does not exist in the real world, she would probably act in a different way. Celestia probably helped that as well. And since Daybreaker didn't exist before, she would actually have a bit more freedom to perform differently. Celestia's presence could have triggered this... But that is still in the dreamiverse. Unless it is reappearing in the dreamiverse from within Celestia's mind and causing her to appear in the real world at some point. It would be pretty interesting if we saw her reappear in another episode facing the thoughts of the dream sequence. but so far we haven't. Though she still has not appeared in the real world and instead has been confined to the dreamiverse images.

On 10/28/2018 at 10:57 PM, Winter Breeze said:

True... That does make sense. Since Daybreaker does not exist in the real world, she would probably act in a different way. Celestia probably helped that as well. And since Daybreaker didn't exist before, she would actually have a bit more freedom to perform differently. Celestia's presence could have triggered this... But that is still in the dreamiverse. Unless it is reappearing in the dreamiverse from within Celestia's mind and causing her to appear in the real world at some point. It would be pretty interesting if we saw her reappear in another episode facing the thoughts of the dream sequence. but so far we haven't. Though she still has not appeared in the real world and instead has been confined to the dreamiverse images.

I think Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker are both just princess Luna and Celestia turning evil. Nothing more. So, if Celestia decides to be evil, she can turn into Daybreaker like flipping a hand. Their visual change is just for the show. 'Daybreaker' is just that having a specific name. (I don't prefer the IDW comics's interpretation)

47 minutes ago, Sepul-Coloratura said:

I think Nightmare Moon and Daybreaker are both just princess Luna and Celestia turning evil. Nothing more. So, if Celestia decides to be evil, she can turn into Daybreaker like flipping a hand. Their visual change is just for the show. 'Daybreaker' is just that having a specific name. (I don't prefer the IDW comics's interpretation)

IDW comics’s interpretation? Would you mind possibly explaining?

10 hours ago, Winter Breeze said:

IDW comics’s interpretation? Would you mind possibly explaining?

I saw an IDW comic series about Nightmare Rarity, which describes Nightmare Moon as an aftermath of being influenced by an external evil force. Luna, of course, already had some jealousy against her sister, but it was eventually happened and planned by the dark force or something (forgot the name). Nightmare Moon and Luna are completely different individuals, they basically aren't the same pony. That part I don't like it.

Ohhhh. That is interesting though. I think I saw something similar in a mlp comic (if it was IDW or not I do not know) where there were Luna and Celestia as children. Luna opens a portal into another world to prove herself but get s taken by creatures where they tie her up and give her a helmet and horseshoes (Not actual horseshoes. Those foot coverings that they put over their hooves that do not look like shoes but more like plates but I call them horseshoes because I think that is what they are called but I do not think that they are actually named) similar to the one that Nightmare Moon wears. Maybe they were going for that to be canon, but I like your interpretation better as well. Besides, then how would Daybreaker exist in the dream world, unless it is also just a image or the dark force you mentioned has infiltrated Starlight's mind and created that image but that is highly doubtful.