Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP going forward

ManaMinori

After watching a video on the theme of Christopher Robin by Wotso Videos, it got me thinking whether My Little Pony generations or reboots in the future should focus more on playtime and imagination. I mean, sure, we already have a fantasy world of fictional horses and other creatures, but could the theme of imagination be emphasized even more? Perhaps as a theme, as ‘friendship” was/ is to g4? In this digital age, imagination and playtime for kids is becoming overshadowed by screens and easy access to digital devices. It’s human nature to go for the easier option, which is ‘on demand’ and personalized’ tv shows and such, while imagination is something that takes skill and more time and effort to visualize and make happen. As most of g4 fans already know, it was Lauren Faust’s imagination of playing with g1 toys from her childhood that sparked the magic of g4 as we know it. And it was Bonnie Zacherle’s (creator of g1)’s imagination that sparked the very first beginnings of MLP. So why shouldn’t this be taken and further emphasized in MLP going forward? It’s clear that we don’t want imagination and whimsy to die, and that that’s what gave life to MLP from the very early stages. Should the magic of imagination and make-believe be restored as MLP progresses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgGGpKawBM

• Brohoof 3

On 11/14/2018 at 1:56 PM, Goat-kun said:

Agree on imagination bit. Disagree on making row upon row of pony toys as it is my humble belief that it just won't work in this day and age.

that's what Hasbro is all about. Let's be realistic here.

3 hours ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

that's what Hasbro is all about. Let's be realistic here.

Yet you are complaining that they are changing their model. All those Mane 6 toys and no Princess What's-Her-Name. Frustrating, isn't it? Different times demand different approach to toys. We both think that they have chosen the wrong approach. However, our notions of the right approach are quite different. I want a moba-like approach. Think about it: "each sold separately" is just another way of saying you have microtransactions ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:19 AM, Photon Jet said:

Imagination never dies. We can achieve greater heights with it when it comes to storytelling and games.

It really doesn't seem like Hasbro- at least for this generation- is running with it, though. Especially when I look at how they've marketed the past gens as compared to this gen. This gen's toys is just gimmicks on top of gimmicks, and that really wasn't so much the case with past gens. It was more about a whole slew of ponies and encouraging imagination through them- developing ther characters, their stories in your own mind. FiM just outright changes that, with much of the characters' stories and personalities already told and developed, and thus, all there is it to gimmick them to Tartarus and back.