Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think ponies have racial personality tendencies and if so what?

Senko

Just idle curiosity here as I was thinking about the main characters while driving around for work and it got me wondering while each one we've seen is distinct there do tend to be some general trends. Unicorns towards studious, pegasi towards active, earth ponies towards practical, all ponies towards nervous breakdowns. So I was just wondering does anyone else think the various races as a group tend to lean towards a particular type of personality or outlook even if individuals don't quite match and if so what are they?

Also yes I include Pinky in practical as strange as that may sound when you consider the amount of prepartion she needs for her parties, her party cave and various other moments she is surprisingly practical as a pony.

(edited)

I'd imagine the similarities you've noticed among the three races are there because despite being one kingdom now, each of the three races built up a distinct culture based around their natural abilities and what they had to do long ago to survive before they came together to form Equestria. Unicorns are often very studious and knowledgeable, even more commonly so than the other races because they have to be that way to learn and master their magic, and because back before Equestria was formed and the Wendigoes were around, they were struggling to find a way with magic to stop the cold, they even needed to control the sun and moon, and it's likely the most powerful Unicorn's stood a better chance at surviving as they could fight off the cold. Pegasi have a tendency to be so active and athletic because their wings and ability to fly opens up all sorts of avenues for athleticism the other races don't have, and they likely needed to be incredibly strong flyers if they wanted to be able to fly through things like blizzards. Earth ponies lack the flight, weather control, and magic of the other two races, they only have their strength and connection with the earth. They were the ones to grow food, not only for themselves but the other races as well, they had to be practical and hardworking to survive.

So, yeah, I agree. There are certain trends towards certain personality traits among the three pony races, they each have a different kind of culture. However, they are still just "Trends", there's plenty of ponies in all three that go against them. Fluttershy is essentially the opposite of active and athletic, plenty of Unicorns care little for advanced magic and only care to learn what they need to pursue their other passions and hobbies, and there are likely plenty of less practical earth ponies. 

Edited by BasementSparkle
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, BasementSparkle said:

they only have their strength and connection with the earth

This is a form of magic, it is just a more subtle form. Anyways, I agree with the rest of your post. Is it possible that could still exist cultural differences between places in Equestria which have more population of a race (Pegasi in Cloudsdale, for example)?

1 minute ago, Acons said:

This is a form of magic, it is just a more subtle form. Anyways, I agree with the rest of your post. Is it possible that could still exist cultural differences between places in Equestria which have more population of a race (Pegasi in Cloudsdale, for example)?

I didn't necessarily mean to say it wasn't a form of magic. All three races have some, apparently even the Pegasi's ability to fly is partially magic based since Tirek was capable of stealing it. I just meant that like you said, they don't have the obvious magic of the Unicorns.

I'd say that, yeah. There's cultural differences between places that have more of one race than another. Just compare a place like Canterlot which is full of mostly Unicorns to towns like Ponyville or Appeloosa which were founded by earth ponies. One could put that difference up to Canterlot being the capital and the Princesses being there, but I don't think it's a coincidence the place seems to be mostly populated by Unicorns. 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:41 AM, BasementSparkle said:

I didn't necessarily mean to say it wasn't a form of magic. All three races have some, apparently even the Pegasi's ability to fly is partially magic based since Tirek was capable of stealing it. I just meant that like you said, they don't have the obvious magic of the Unicorns.

I'd say that, yeah. There's cultural differences between places that have more of one race than another. Just compare a place like Canterlot which is full of mostly Unicorns to towns like Ponyville or Appeloosa which were founded by earth ponies. One could put that difference up to Canterlot being the capital and the Princesses being there, but I don't think it's a coincidence the place seems to be mostly populated by Unicorns. 

We do know that winter wrap up is meant to be limited magic in Ponyville (using telekinesis to make birds nests is fine but not creating them via a spell) whereas in Canterlot they apprently do it via magic. So There well could be other differences in other places that a primarily one race or another. Interesting explanation for why those traits developed originally.

• 6 months later...

I agree that pony race has a partial part in why a pony acts and does things a certain way. And yes, every individual has their own personality that is unique to them, but pony race does have a little part in that. If you have wings you might have a special part of your personality be flight. And if you have a horn magic can be incorporated into your personality. It also might be that ponies of same race tend to stick together because they can relate more. That could explain why there are still many cities that have such a high concentration of one and low concentration of the others.

• 10 months later...