Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best episodes that are also the hardest to watch

TheAnimationFanatic

Which episodes do you consider to be the best and most well made, but also the hardest to watch because of how harrowing, emotionally involving, or heartbreaking they are?

For example, "For Whom The Sweetie Belle Toils". Phenomenal episode, but hard to watch because Sweetie Belle was a somewhat unlikable in it.

Or "A Canterlot Wedding: Part 1" for THAT scene..

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic
  • Brohoof 2

Testing Testing 123: for how scary it is I relate to the athletic Rainbow Dash in terms of our study habits

Crusaders of the Lost Mark: CMC getting their Cutie Marks at last

Flutter Brutter for sympathizing with Zephyr Breeze's fear of failure 

The Perfect Pear for making me slowly gear up to cry and the tears finally burst from the sight of the Hugging Apple Pear Tree.

Heartwarming Tale: Gallus' story and why he didn't want to leave his friends.

Edited by Will Guide
  • Brohoof 2

"Equestria Games." Spike is constantly embarrassing himself in drawn-out fashion, but it works because his anxiety and insecurity is always obvious. 

• Brohoof 1

I second Equestria Games and Canterlot Wedding Part 1, the scenes everyone brought up make them hard to sit through, though for the right reasons imo(if that makes any sense)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, TheAnimationFanatic said:

"The Mane Attraction" is a wonderful episode, easily one of Season 5's best. However, it's not one I watch frequently, because every scene with Svengallop makes me want to punch my monitor or TV screen. @Sparklefan1234 @Tacodidra :angry:

I feel the same way about "Lesson Zero". 

Just replace "Season 5" with "Season 2" & "Svengallop" with "Twilight Sparkle, Smarty Pants & The Cutie Mark Crusaders". :okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

Perfect Pear due to the buildup, the subject matter, and the fact that there are some similarities in my own courtship and wedding, not only the fact that my wife had recently passed away. It is my favorite episode of the series and arguably the best one, and I have yet to watch it without getting emotional. 

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Perfect Pear due to the buildup, the subject matter, and the fact that there are some similarities in my own courtship and wedding, not only the fact that my wife had recently passed away. It is my favorite episode of the series and arguably the best one, and I have yet to watch it without getting emotional. 

I'm sorry for your loss. :(

It's the MLP equivalent to "The Body" from Buffy The Vampire Slayer. 

On 3/19/2019 at 2:44 PM, TheAnimationFanatic said:

"A Canterlot Wedding: Part 1" for THAT scene..

That scene made me feel like this show was different from anything I'd seen before because I actually felt sad for Twilight Sparkle. :(

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
16 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

That scene made me feel like this show was different from anything I'd seen before because I actually felt sad for Twilight Sparkle. :(

Same here. That moment was a very effective gut punch. It always bothered me how they never addressed the fallout or showed Twilight reconciling with the others.

Granted, AJ did apologize in Part 2, on behalf of the others for not listening to Twilight. However, it felt dissatisfactory for two reasons:

1.) They shouldn't be apologizing for not listening to Twilight (she threw a hissy fit at the rehearsal with no evidence that Cadence was an imposter), but because they all straight up DITCHED her at the reception and discarded her like trash.

2.) I totally get that there wasn't enough time at the end of the Season 2 finale, but I AM disappointed that we never got to see Twilight reconciling with the others in Season 3. And it wouldn't have been hard, just work it into "The Crystal Empire". Have Twilight not trusting herself and her friends while having nightmares. Show the others feeling guilty about how they treated Twilight, and have Spike feeling so worried that he fears Twilight will ditch him.

@Sparklefan1234

Edited by TheAnimationFanatic
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oooh! "Amending Fences" for two reasons:

1. When Moon Dancer cried because she felt like she didn't matter. 
  2. Twilight Sparkle never tells Moon Dancer why she missed her party. It was a hunch, but Twilight did end up being right in about NM in the end.
Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

On 4/2/2019 at 8:54 AM, Jeric said:

Even if I manage to get through the episode without a single tear, the dams burst on seeing the Apple and Pear Trees "hugging" each other.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Perfect Pear. It's so good, but I find it hard not to get close to tearing up when watching it.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 1

As someone who lost their pet cat, "Tanks For The Memories" hit me a lot harder the second time. I liked it the first time but was initially put off of Rainbow Dash's portrayal. When seen from the perspective of someone about to lose a loved one, it makes much more sense and is a lot more poignant.