Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike development.

CastletonSnob

(edited)

How would you say Spike has developed over the course of the show. I can't think of how he's changed much since S1.

I might be looking too much into things, but I think Spike has gotten better at reading people. Remember back in S1, he took Twilight’s sarcastic thank you in Winter Wrap Up at face value, and seemed to genuinely think his crush on Rarity was a secret.

In S8, he correctly pointed out that Discord’s a big softie when it comes to Fluttershy, and in S6 and S7, he’s able to tell when Starlight is upset about something.

Edited by VG_Addict

(edited)

I think Spike is pretty much the same as when the show began. Yes, he got wings but that’s an external difference and not an internal one. Spike has no drive or ambition beyond serving Twilight. In one episode, Twilight gave him the day off to do whatever he wanted. He wrote a list of what he wanted to do that only had three things on it. All of the other characters have an end goal in mind except for spike and that’s his problem. Characters have needs and wants. Spike doesn’t have any to help him grow.

Edited by Twilight Luna

27 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

How would you say Spike has developed over the course of the show.

Up until Princess Spike it was inconsistent. Since that mediocre episode they have done a solid job on the character in both supporting and focused roles. I'd argue that him and Fluttershy have been the most improved characters in the later half of the series. 

He's had a fair amount of development so far! He's become a better friend, and yes he's better at reading people, and he's got so many more friends instead of JUST the Mane 6!

However, there are still quite a few things he needs done before the show ends!

1. His origins.

I got the feeling Sweet and Smoky might do just that!

2. Conclusion to his crush on Rarity. Are they gonna end up together, or is he gonna move on?

3. Most importantly: what's his destiny? I know alot of you think he's found it, but his character description from the movie book says "he is unaware of his destiny"! I'm sure his destiny is to be the seventh element of harmony (if it exists) - cause I'm not sure how he fits in with the Mane 6 and why the crew keeps calling him a "main character" when he's treated more like a "supporting character"?

Bonus: An episode with Starlight! Not needed, but I've been wanting to see their friendship develop for a while! Hey, just them hugging will be enough for me! I wanna see 'em hug!

These are pretty much it! If season 9 does those 3 things (or at least 1 and 3), then I'll happily accept whatever comes!

Just now, Twilight Luna said:

I think Spike is pretty much the same as when the show began. Yes, he got wings but that’s an external difference and not an internal one. Spike has no drive or ambition beyond serving Twilight. In one episode, Twilight gave him the day off to do whatever he wanted. He wrote a list of what he wanted to do but it only had three things on it. All of the other characters have an end goal in mind except for spike and that’s his problem. Characters have needs and wants. Spike doesn’t have any to help him grow.

Despite that I don't think Spike had enough - I won't say he had NOTHING! He did start the alliance between dragons and ponies, and ponies and changelings, and even dragons and changelings, so that's something! Plus he's got Guys Night friends now - and he's less childish nowadays! He can still be child-LIKE, but not childISH! But like I said, he still hasn't done enough in my opinion to just accept that he's finished with his arc!

5 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

He's had a fair amount of development so far! He's become a better friend, and yes he's better at reading people, and he's got so many more friends instead of JUST the Mane 6!

1. His origins.

Reveal hidden contents

2. Conclusion to his crush on Rarity. Are they gonna end up together, or is he gonna move on?

3. Most importantly: what's his destiny? I know alot of you think he's found it, but his character description from the movie book says "he is unaware of his destiny"! I'm sure his destiny is to be the seventh element of harmony (if it exists) - cause I'm not sure how he fits in with the Mane 6 and why the crew keeps calling him a "main character" when he's treated more like a "supporting character"?

Bonus: An episode with Starlight! Not needed, but I've been wanting to see their friendship develop for a while! Hey, just them hugging will be enough for me! I wanna see 'em hug!

These are pretty much it! If season 9 does those 3 things (or at least 1 and 3), then I'll happily accept whatever comes!

Despite that I don't think Spike had enough - I won't say he had NOTHING! He did start the alliance between dragons and ponies, and ponies and changelings, and even dragons and changelings, so that's something! Plus he's got Guys Night friends now - and he's less childish nowadays! He can still be child-LIKE, but not childISH! But like I said, he still hasn't done enough in my opinion to just accept that he's finished with his arc!

I think Spike's also less rude than he was back in S1. 

6 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

1. His origins.

Reveal hidden contents

I didn’t think about that. He does have more friends than did did before. So he’s less reliant on Twilight for things to do. He showed his maturity by forgiving Discord and becoming friends with him. Whenever Spike’s character goes up, episodes like Princess Spike knock him back down.

(edited)
Just now, Twilight Luna said:

I didn’t think about that. He does have more friends than did did before. So he’s less reliant on Twilight for things to do. He showed his maturity by forgiving Discord and becoming friends with him. Whenever Spike’s character goes up, episodes like Princess Spike knock him back down.

I know, man! That's how I felt about Father Knows Beast! But I'm hoping that's the LAST episode he gets cheated! If season 9 turns out like season 6 for him, or maybe even better - that could make up for EVERYTHING! Let's just have our fingers crossed and believe in Spike! He has more potential than he thinks! More potential than what most people think!

Edited by FlareGun45

Spike, the same as he was in Season 1? How do you explain him saving the Crystal Empire, ensuring that the Dragon Kingdom was run by a good leader, and getting Thorax to become a reformed Changeling then? :P I personally believe that Spike's character development has been phenomenal, especially with episodes like Equestria Games, Gauntlet of Fire, and The Times They are a Changeling, but that's just me. 

18 minutes ago, Jeric said:

Up until Princess Spike it was inconsistent. Since that mediocre episode they have done a solid job on the character in both supporting and focused roles. I'd argue that him and Fluttershy have been the most improved characters in the later half of the series. 

He was pretty much a victim of Depending on the Writer.

Just now, CloudMistDragon said:

Spike, the same as he was in Season 1? How do you explain him saving the Crystal Empire, ensuring that the Dragon Kingdom was run by a good leader, and getting Thorax to become a reformed Changeling then? :P I personally believe that Spike's character development has been phenomenal, especially with episodes like Equestria Games, Gauntlet of Fire, and The Times They are a Changeling, but that's just me. 

Me too

3 minutes ago, FlareGun45 said:

I know, man! That's how I felt about Father Knows Beast! But I'm hoping that's the LAST episode he gets cheated! If season 9 turns out like season 6 for him, or maybe even better - that could make up for EVERYTHING! Let's just have our fingers crossed and believe in Spike! He has more potential than he thinks! More potential than what most people think!

Father Knows Beast was great at making Smoulder more like the "father" who teaches the young about their culture and society much better than that Fudge Sludge layabout ever could! And for that, I consider it a good episode.

• Brohoof 1

Spike started out (to me) as your typically kiddish, "dumb" boy sidekick. Now, by "dumb" I don't necessarily mean he was played out to be dumb,  just that he was immature and playfully inoffensive.

I feel like I really started to like Spike after Season 4, which sounds weird, since my personal least favorite episode of his, "Spike at Your Service" was in that season. Still, after Equestria Games, I finally viewed Spike on par with my least favorite of the Mane 6 (Fluttershy).

It wasn't until the previous season that I believed Spike was finally fully understood and developed by the staff. Molt Down was a great episode that was just perfect for Spike.

The real cherry on the already delicious parfait was "The Best Gift Ever!". Spike is finally treated as a part of the team, and even though his arc for getting Rarity a present wasn't nearly as compelling as any of the other Mane 6's, I was still pleased with the conclusion and how Spike was finally being treated as how he should have been since Season 6. 

What do I hope to be the ending to Spike as a whole of a character in Season 9? Well, for starters, I would appreciate the Sparity arc to be complete. I mean, I get the sense that he's kind of over Rarity, but since it's abundantly obvious that Rarity has no interest in a relationship with Spike and I'd like to see an episode dedicated to that. 

That's really all, I guess. Here's hoping for a great Spike conclusion and S9 in general!

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Father Knows Beast was great at making Smoulder more like the "father" who teaches the young about their culture and society much better than that Fudge Sludge layabout ever could! And for that, I consider it a good episode.

I really disagree about calling Smolder a "father", counting that she's a girl and she's not much older than Spike. Older sisters can do this too! Leave the father-figure open for now, see if there's anyone who could take that spot perhaps later!

He’s “developed” in that we’ve seen varied stories with him. Like the other Mane 6 except Twilight, there hasn’t been an obvious attempt to make them better persons. They’ve been developed in the sense that they’ve been rounded out, but though the team as a unit has progressed, each individual has not, besides Twilight. The Mane 5’s personal arcs have been goal-based, not character-based. But Spike really isn’t part of the progress of the Mane 6.

They’ve made him more interesting, but there is no arc. If anything, he allows us to see something that hasn’t changed, while everything else does.