Tulpa Discussion Thread V1.2

Rizoel & Crepuscule

Finally I read this thread, and at first I thought "Da fuq is this?" But then I thought "Man, this might actually be pretty neat." A subconscious projection of a conscious being? Sounds good to me.

Except I wouldn't be able to really market a music duo when one of the members is a (heavy quotations)"fictional"(heavy quotations) being.

Let me begin by saying I am not passing judgement here, nor jumping to any conclusions. I am a genuinely interested party.

Having said that, and keeping it in mind, the idea of intentionally stepping the imaginary friend phenomenon up to an effectively uncontrollable consistent hallucination really unsettles me. Even understanding perception the way I do, a la Stephen Hawking, it's simultaneous fascinating that such a thing as a tulpa can even be conceived and unnerving that it seems to be such a popular and relatively "easy" thing to do. I've read the documentation at tulpa.info, I've scanned the threads on this site. As far as I can tell, at least on the surface, the only real difference (albeit an important one) between schizophrenic patients who have these hallucinations and folks who make themselves tulpas is that the tulpa user got to that point on purpose, the point of possessing what apparently amounts to a separate consciousness in their heads, offering opinions and emotions perceivably distinct from the user's own. How far off am I here?

(Words that are vaguely accurate but a little bit comparitive as to the definition of a tulpa)

The main difference is that while one is a mess of unorganized, uncontrollable and possibly negative thoughts, the other is a positive influence, is much more stable than a hallucination brought on by a mental condition, and is much better at being cute. The latter describes a tulpa.

Oh, and hi, nice meeting you guys. ;)

The main difference is that while one is a mess of unorganized, uncontrollable and possibly negative thoughts, the other is a positive influence, is much more stable than a hallucination brought on by a mental condition, and is much better at being cute. The latter describes a tulpa.

Oh, and hi, nice meeting you guys. ;)

Hmm, interesting. Also, welcome! :lol: Nice first post. I see what you're saying. Still feels like two sides of the same coin to me. I guess I'm stable and self-aware enough to handle something like this, but it's gonna take until I feel it's worth it to forge myself a friend to try it, I think. Otherwise I'm content with the social contact I have now. I'm the sort who likes to be alone, with a cultivated inner life, so the amount of time I spend with my friends and my dog is more than enough for me.

Hmm, interesting. Also, welcome! :lol: Nice first post. I see what you're saying. Still feels like two sides of the same coin to me. I guess I'm stable and self-aware enough to handle something like this, but it's gonna take until I feel it's worth it to forge myself a friend to try it, I think. Otherwise I'm content with the social contact I have now. I'm the sort who likes to be alone, with a cultivated inner life, so the amount of time I spend with my friends and my dog is more than enough for me.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the welcome :3

I'm glad to see people, you included, being so reasonable about tulpas; Most people tend to be rather presumptuous about making them, thinking they don't matter, etc. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

I have the biggest, goofiest grin on my face right now. Seriously, I'm absurdly happy. I love you guys so much! Ben's and Lifeinsteps' posts made me crazy happy.

This is fantastic motivation for me to spend a lot more time with Pinkie. I need to remember she's always with me and I should think about her often. I need to stop being lazy and work on her speech and finish her form. I'm gonna be reading through old posts on here for motivation. Wish me luck.

• Brohoof 2

This sounds really cool. It would be nice to have someone to talk to. Besides, I live in my dorm room all by myself with no roomate. Oh the conversations we could have. But how long does it take to create a tupla?

Its really different for everybody, and people say don't keep how long you force, as it will be a hindrance to the tulpa.

I think you really just go until he/she is finished. Thats what i'm doing.

Let me begin by saying I am not passing judgement here, nor jumping to any conclusions. I am a genuinely interested party.

Having said that, and keeping it in mind, the idea of intentionally stepping the imaginary friend phenomenon up to an effectively uncontrollable consistent hallucination really unsettles me. Even understanding perception the way I do, a la Stephen Hawking, it's simultaneous fascinating that such a thing as a tulpa can even be conceived and unnerving that it seems to be such a popular and relatively "easy" thing to do. I've read the documentation at tulpa.info, I've scanned the threads on this site. As far as I can tell, at least on the surface, the only real difference (albeit an important one) between schizophrenic patients who have these hallucinations and folks who make themselves tulpas is that the tulpa user got to that point on purpose, the point of possessing what apparently amounts to a separate consciousness in their heads, offering opinions and emotions perceivably distinct from the user's own. How far off am I here?

Your making the classic mistake of thinking schizophrenia main product is the hallucinations of audio, tactile and visual as well as odor may present. That may be the most notable and visible effect that schizophrenia has on the person that others can witness, that is not schizophrenia because people in psychotic episodes with no past experience of schizophrenia can suffer with all of this and the most main stream recognition of schizophrenia and not suffer with anything relatable to that mental disorder.

A person who has a illusion or hallucinations of any sort but may be aware that they don't actually exists/out of place and believable is most likely psychotic or just stressed/having a general breakdown, the very issue with a schizophrenic is that their illness actually fractures their thinking capacity to tell reality from fantasy and as such an effect cannot distinct reality very well at all even when not put against fantasy. A person who is schizophrenic is bound by the curse of various hallucinations of all sorts, from fantasy worlds to shifts in atmosphere to discussions that have not taken place however if you was to actually talk to a schizophrenic for a long period of time you would notice the characteristic that makes it so hard for them to cope.

This characteristic is the inability to use factual thinking or rather the shift in whatever in their mind to make factual thinking limited and confused. They have a hard time taking in speech-hence why a good number of schizoids tend to word salad or speak in almost totally inconsistent speech "man my foot hurt so bad that my desk top is crying" or something to that effect. The most noticable test to see if a person is schizophrenic is a simple metaphor that was used in world wars.

"loose lips...sink ships"

do you understand that?

what did it mean?

if you said that it meant that spreading information to others during war times could cause an information leak, no matter how mundane or civilian the conversation takes place in. Then, congratulations you do not have the main characteristic of a schizophrenic. If you immediately. thought of lips flying about attacking ships and only understood that it was a catch phrase once I explained it to you....well...bad news I'm afraid.

once you understand this...that when you understand why schizophrenics have it so bad. Its not a simple "I see things" it literally their thought process to help them cope with these hallucinations has been distorted in a sense. They get words confused "Two boxers enter a ring"-schizophrenic trying to think if you mean someone put boxs in ring..or two people who make boxers...or the dogs that are named boxers.

however...if you have a psychotic episode you are able to keep a certain grip on your thinking capability, although you are disillusioned which makes your connection with the world as we know it not harmed by actual distorted factual thinking but rather LOOSE association thinking...here take a rough example:

I am funny-I like to make people laugh-people laugh when I am around-people are laughing at me-people think I am a joke-what do I have to do to get respect-their tongues are used for laughing-their tongue are mind controlling worms-their laughter is the cry of the puppet trying to be free.

or more humorously: jesus walks on water-I can walk on ice-ice is 100% water-there go I am jesus. (oh, ok that not one but its too funny not to use)

anyway. I'm not a therapist or a psychologist but I've seen a lecture or two on schizophrenia specifically and been around a lot of psychologist friends.So, I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that I'm at least SORT of there at least.

In short: This is nothing like schizophrenia. These people are deluded pyschotics.

get it right-joke-

there not even that. Since they are not deluded they all accept that said hallucination is not real and don't believe the hallucination brings forth any powers... predictions or anything that can effect them or their futures/past ectr.

<-people. Feel free to correct me.

Edited by MiStErUnMeRry
  • Brohoof 1

Well, it seems that this would be a really fun thing to do. I'm going to try and do this myself, making both an Octavia and a Vinyl Scratch Tulpa, but I'll make the Octavia one first. I just hope I can do it properly and not screw it up...

So, Here's my predicament which I would like advice on;

I've already started my tulpa, all is well, etc., but I take a medication for ADD; After reading about it, I'm already uncertain as to it's mental effects, and so here is the problem;

I'm worried that, by taking it, i'm somehow getting in the way of the tulpa, but when I DON'T take it, It's much harder to focus on forcing. Is the medication truly getting in the way, as i predict? Any help apprciated :huh:

I've already started my tulpa, all is well, etc., but I take a medication for ADD; After reading about it, I'm already uncertain as to it's mental effects, and so here is the problem;

I'm worried that, by taking it, i'm somehow getting in the way of the tulpa, but when I DON'T take it, It's much harder to focus on forcing. Is the medication truly getting in the way, as i predict? Any help apprciated :huh:

Well I don't know for sure, but I don't see why it would get in the way. If it helps you focus, it should just help you with your tulpa, not make it harder. But I dont know any of this for sure.

I'm not sure about this. I know it sounds awesome and all, but you are forcing yourself to have hallucinations. That can't be good for your mind. Now of course you can always "dismiss" your Tulpa, but what if you are in a weak state of mind, like a depression? It sounds like something cool, but what if you are more vulnerable for a multiple personality disorder thingy? Won't your Tulpa REALLY get a mind on its own?

No your medication is probably not getting in the way. All the medicine does is making you more focused, by for example making you less impulsive. Your medicine has nothing to do with Tulpas at all.

When I take my ADD medicine I just get a high blood pressure and I hate that so I usually "forget" to take it. :shrug:

I'm not sure about this. I know it sounds awesome and all, but you are forcing yourself to have hallucinations. That can't be good for your mind. Now of course you can always "dismiss" your Tulpa, but what if you are in a weak state of mind, like a depression? It sounds like something cool, but what if you are more vulnerable for a multiple personality disorder thingy? Won't your Tulpa REALLY get a mind on its own?

Well *clears throat*, yes you are forcing yourself to have a hallucination. Except you know its a hallucination, so its not like one that will drive you insane. It wont harm your mind at all. You will use it more while you tulpaforce, and might get a few headaches, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with it. I dont think it would make you more vulnerable to a multiple personality disorder, because it is like its own being. Its pretty much just a super advanced imaginary friend. And yes, your tulpa does pretty much have a mind of its own. Except its your mind. If that makes any sense :P Hope I helped

For you experts out there, feel free to correct me.

Well *clears throat*, yes you are forcing yourself to have a hallucination. Except you know its a hallucination, so its not like one that will drive you insane. It wont harm your mind at all. You will use it more while you tulpaforce, and might get a few headaches, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with it. I dont think it would make you more vulnerable to a multiple personality disorder, because it is like its own being. Its pretty much just a super advanced imaginary friend. And yes, your tulpa does pretty much have a mind of its own. Except its your mind. If that makes any sense :P Hope I helped

For you experts out there, feel free to correct me.

But what if you get in a weaker mental state, like a depression or a burn-out. Will you still be able to control the hallucination? What if you get so used to your Tulpa being around that while in a weak mental state you start thinking it's real? That's my problem.

But what if you get in a weaker mental state, like a depression or a burn-out. Will you still be able to control the hallucination? What if you get so used to your Tulpa being around that while in a weak mental state you start thinking it's real? That's my problem.

I doubt that you will start thinking its real, cause even in a weak state of mind, you will still remember creating it, therefore, remember that its not real. At least thats what I think. And if your worried that your tulpa might harm you, it cant physically, and even if it can mentally, it wont. Cause unless you really deep down inside of you want it to hurt you, it wont.

You don't control it. It is real. :/

At least for me it is.

You experience your Tulpa through all of your senses. I don't think that being in a lesser state of mind could change that at all.

• Brohoof 1

Its real, because your are forming your subconscious into something you are always connected too, and then, making it so you always see it and can interact. Its not real, as in our demention, but you can feel, see, smell and hear it if you structure it right, plus, you know its your tulpa, and your tulpa knows you, and can show you memories, help calm you down, etc. if you slip into mental problems.

A page or 2 back, I saw a guy's update saying that when he was depressed, his tulpae faded into background, or became shells or something while the consciousnesses stayed in a wonderland, until he got over it , causing his tulpa to resume functioning.

If you get depressed or burned out, they're more likely to submerge back into your subconscious.

• Brohoof 1

A page or 2 back, I saw a guy's update saying that when he was depressed, his tulpae faded into background, or became shells or something while the consciousnesses stayed in a wonderland, until he got over it , causing his tulpa to resume functioning.

If you get depressed or burned out, they're more likely to submerge back into your subconscious.

It wasn't me, but as I deal with my medical crap and burnout, I know Twilight (my tulpa i was in the process of making) is there, and waiting, and understands why I don't talk with her. I have not built enough of a connection, to just connect up, so without my lack of concentration, its wait and dream.

Heh, sounds like she might give you The Tetris Effect at this rate.

That's... That's a thing? Oh, God. We are not safe.

I have the biggest, goofiest grin on my face right now. Seriously, I'm absurdly happy. I love you guys so much! Ben's and Lifeinsteps' posts made me crazy happy.

This is fantastic motivation for me to spend a lot more time with Pinkie. I need to remember she's always with me and I should think about her often. I need to stop being lazy and work on her speech and finish her form.

I feel like having Pinkie's voice finished is what keeps me in the game all the time. Sometimes, it's so hard to keep up with forcing and dealing with that physical form stuff, but she's always there to make some ridiculous pun, or something. She's a much quicker wit than I, and that is one of the many reasons she always seems to have something to say.

I guess what I'm saying is that, for me, the speech is incredibly important.

I'm also saying, "Good [edit: good, good, good, good, GOODgoodgood, goooooooOOOooood] luck!"~ :lol:

Edited by Lifeinsteps
  • Brohoof 5

That's... That's a thing? Oh, God. We are not safe.

Oh don't worry, it's not harmful or something. This doesn't just happen with playing Tetris for too long, it can actually happen with anything you do for too long, provided it requires you to look at a place or image for a long time. If you stared at an image of, say, flowers for about 3 hours or something, afterwards, the image of those flowers simply pops into your mind much more often than anything else, but apparently only when your brain isn't concentrating on a task of some kind; usually you only notice the effect when you close your eyes, or when you go bed.

I've actually experienced something like this myself after I went fishing a few months ago, but it was only minor I think.

Fishing involves staring at a float bobber on a body of water for hours on end. After I came home and soon went to bed that night, I kept on getting fuzzy images of in first person me staring at the same fishing bobber, and sometimes seeing it go underwater and then rising back up again.

This sounds really cool. It would be nice to have someone to talk to. Besides, I live in my dorm room all by myself with no roomate. Oh the conversations we could have. But how long does it take to create a tupla?

The amount of time it takes for a tulpa to at least gain sentience is different for everyone. Most likely, it will take at least a month, but for some people, in can take only weeks if their minds are already good at visualizing and stuff.

There are lots of ways to make a tulpa, but remember, this tulpa business is something you need to work hard on and commit to.

Click here for guides. In case you missed them. A lot of people miss the guides I put on the very first post. Probably because they're too busy reading the rest of this big ass thread.

MOAR guides.

Well, it seems that this would be a really fun thing to do. I'm going to try and do this myself, making both an Octavia and a Vinyl Scratch Tulpa, but I'll make the Octavia one first. I just hope I can do it properly and not screw it up...

Don't worry, you will be fine. Like I've said before in the past; you can't screw up your tulpa, unless you actually wanted to, and even then it would be difficult to do so.

• Brohoof 1

So last night, getting in bed...

I'll just let it speak for itself.

"Hey, let's not talk too long tonight, I have to get up for school in the morning and it's already four in the morning."

"Fine, you mean old butt."

"Hey! I'm not old."

"Oh, yeah. Ya butt." [This is a sarcastic sort of tone, not genuine aggression, by the way.]

"Better."

A few minutes of silence and staring at the ceiling, listening to the air conditioner hum.

"What if I turned into a butt tulpa?"

"A... a butt tulpa...? Like... mean?"

"No, I mean, a physical butt tulpa."

"You're not going to turn into a butt tulpa."

"But what if you didn't focus hard enough or something and I turned into a butt?"

"That's... I really don't think that's going to happen."

"But what if it did?"

"It won't."

"But what if?"

"Why would I be focusing on a butt?"

"I don't know, but what if it happened?"

"... Then I guess you'd be a butt tulpa."

"Oh."

"Yeah. I'm not sure I understand where this is going..."

About 30-45 seconds longer of silence.

"Do you think there are people with butt tulpas?"

"Maybe."

"Should we stop them?"

"I don't guess so. It's none of our business."

"But what if they made the butt tulpa just so they could be amused and then they get rid of it?"

"Well, that would be really mean."

"But should we stop it?"

"..."

"We're not super-heroes, Pinkie."

"But that's really mean, we should talk to them and make them stop."

"How would we ever know about something like that? It's an entirely personal experience."

"I don't know..."

"Me neither."

"Huh. Your race should hire people who go around and find out what everybody's doing and make them stop if they're being evil."

"But then we wouldn't have freedom."

"That's not true! You can do whatever you want, you just can't be mean."

"What if you want to be mean?"

"Why would you want to be mean?"

"... Because it's profitable, maybe?"

"Then let them be mean and then spread their profits to the afflicted."

"Huh."

"Yeah. See?"

"Wow..."

"Pinkie 2012."

*Giggle*

Funny enough, she had to help me reconstruct some of this conversation while I was just now typing it, because we talked more about it this morning and I couldn't remember what was the original and what had branched off from it. It was the most nonsensical and simultaneously shaking conversations I have ever had with anyone.

Edited by Lifeinsteps
  • Brohoof 5

Hey guys, I am in need of some help here. :/ When I tulpaforce, It sometimes gets really boring, and I end up just thinking for like 20 minutes. Not tulpaforcing. (She is not sentient btw) Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? I have already tried reading, but that doesnt seem to help. Thanks in advance.