Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Overthink: What does Pkinkie Pie contribute to society?

New2Colour

Put on your reading glasses everybrony, this post is kinda long. :blink:

Remember when a particularly POed Fluttershy basically said that Pinkie Pie's passion in life (cakes, parties est.) was trivial? :angry:

It would seem that a a pony who's calling in life is to party has nothing to give to society, right?

WRONG!

Note how Pinkie's Parties are really fun (ie. a great way to kick back), but have no drugs, sex, alcohol, or any other things that people get addicted to? :huh:

(I know I'm over thinking this, pony society and all, but hey if you're reading this post, I Imagine you're game for some over thought yourself!) :unsure:

I imagine that these parties are so fun that no addictive substances are needed to liven things up.

If that's the case, than party ponies like Pinkie Pie are key to a society free of vice! Imagine how easier (and family-friendly) life would be if no-one ever got addicted to, say heroin, or alcohol.

Crack-caterers like Pinkie-Pie would render these things obsolete! (even in moderation)

"Dry- Fridays" aside, think of Smile, Smile, Smile: how she lives to make everyone happy, and is adept at doing so:

She knows everyone's name, is not bound by distance or walls, knows when you're sleeping, knows when you're awake, knows when you feel sad or good... you get the point. :ph34r:

Pinkie: The anti-drug of anti-drugs.

so am I crazy and right, or just crazy? What do you think of Pinkie's passion?

• Brohoof 9

well aside from parties she basically just helps everyone out all the time. Like babysitting or guarding the chef ponies cakes or giving good advice like to not be scared of trees.

Anyway, with respect to your comment about having a society free of vice - I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Distractions aren't the key to doing away with vices, the key is to enlighten people that life is about more than that kind of behavior, and I would say the ponies know that.

• Brohoof 4

She is the be all, end all of mood improvers. Just read the lyrics of her Smile song, she exists to make her friends happy, by any means necessary.

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Is made of ground up pixie dust,pixie sticks,cake and an overwhelming need to appease..

I love her and her being the anti anti drug makes allot of sense, even if at times pinkie herself does not.

It shows that even what appears to be trivial to one can make an amazing impact on another.

Anyway, with respect to your comment about having a society free of vice - I think you're looking at it the wrong way. Distractions aren't the key to doing away with vices, the key is to enlighten people that life is about more than that kind of behavior, and I would say the ponies know that.

Very insightful, that's the kind of sober second thought (or overthought) that I was looking for!

It wasn't about distraction to me, just good clean fun that rendered drugs and drinking overmuch "obsolete."

Pinkie Pie is a living antidepressant

so does that mean that if you have too much Pinkie you will die? :x

Pinkie got friendship..... you'll never get high like that ever again.....

Very insightful, that's the kind of sober second thought (or overthought) that I was looking for!

It wasn't about distraction to me, just good clean fun that rendered drugs and drinking overmuch "obsolete."

well isn't it kind of? You're suggesting if people provide us with enough pure fun entertainment we'll eventually just forget about the more shameful methods people use to feel good about themselves. One could argue you're just exchanging one addiction for another really lol. I just don't think it's actually dealing with the core problem, which (in my opinion) is trying to get people to want to be more chivalrous,humble, generous, etc themselves.

Unless I sorta read it wrong and you're really saying people should be like Pinkie Pie, befriending everyone and trying to be an inspiration for them to be good, which I would agree with very much.

well isn't it kind of? You're suggesting if people provide us with enough pure fun entertainment we'll eventually just forget about the more shameful methods people use to feel good about themselves. One could argue you're just exchanging one addiction for another really lol. I just don't think it's actually dealing with the core problem, which (in my opinion) is trying to get people to want to be more chivalrous,humble, generous, etc themselves.

Unless I sorta read it wrong and you're really saying people should be like Pinkie Pie, befriending everyone and trying to be an inspiration for them to be good, which I would agree with very much.

I just think that the world would be a better if no one was addicted to anything. not addicted as in "does a lot" but if no one was given over to something psychologically and physically binding like, say, meth.

I'm making very vauge, sweeping statements, but that's cause I haven't had a conversation like this in weeks.

I agree that being a friendly and giving hand-ups when the opportunity presents itself is something everyone should strive for.

Man, how'd a thread on Pinkie get so heavy?

You forgot a few things: her Pinkie Sense, with which she can warn people about things that are going to happen, and her inexplicable chasing abilities, which would be mega useful if Equestria had more criminals. ;)

but have no drugs, sex, alcohol, or any other things that people get addicted to? :huh:

Season 1 Episode 1, Twilight's welcome to Ponyville party. Twilight was trying to pour what was clearly intended to be alcohol however grabs the hot sauce by accident. http://pwny.at/c0

You forgot a few things: her Pinkie Sense, with which she can warn people about things that are going to happen, and her inexplicable chasing abilities, which would be mega useful if Equestria had more criminals. ;)

Anybody entertained the idea that the rocks Pinkie's family farmed contained The Spice? :huh: (Brohoof to whoever gets that reference)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

An interesting thread topic sir! It is wonderful indeed to see joyful members of pony society keeping their friends from abusing any addictive substances!!! So often, the ponies best at doing this are former addicts themselves, and none had it worse than Pinkie!!! What? You don't believe me! Well, for your information, Pinkie was quite the binge drinker in her younger days, until Fluttershy staged a one-pony intervention, successfully ending Pinkie's abuse of alcoholic beverages! It's all right here in this video!:

Don't worry, she eventually got over the rum being gone! B)

But, Pinkie's problems with alcohol are nothing compared to the other addiction that she has struggled with her whole life! That's right... I'm talking about the battle she has waged with that most addictive of substances... CHOCOLATE!!!! In fact, she didn't overcome that addiction until after the Mane 6's battle with Discord, during which time the abuse was worse than ever before. Take a look for yourself and see what I mean...

[media=]http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5juaDZu4ak

-_- *sigh* So sad... it even got to the point that Pinkie was willing to give up all of Equestria for her precious chocolate...

Posted Image

So remember everypony, take it from Pinkie Pie... don't abuse any substances, even something as seemingly harmless as chocolate; you'll only change for the worse, and hurt all those around you. :(

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 1

Lol, at previous post, but...

On a more serious note...

Pinkie Pie lives upstairs in Sugercube Corner, which is run by the Cakes'. I guess the Cakes' just pay her a small wage so she can live and provide a place for her to stay. And, think of it, the Cakes' are bakers, and sell party goods, so by throwing all these parties and such, Pinkie is probably really bringing it in for the Cakes, not to mention she bakes for them probably, and does various chores and tasks for them like watching their children.

As for freeing society from vice, I think any party can be just fine without any abusable substances. Never drank a drop, never done any drugs, never plan on doing either, and celebate 'till marriage. Your mood is really up to you, it's hard to do, but it's very possible to keep yourself cheerful, and parties are only as bad as you let them be.

That's all I have to say, aside from what's already been said. I'm glad to say I like a lot of what's been said here.

As for alcohol in Equestria, we don't see it explicitly mentioned obviously because it's a show that has to stay clean. But even with that, it would still be "clean" if one of the characters started acting "funny". Kids wouldn't understand they're drunk.

And, glass bottles doesn't ALWAYS mean alcohol. In fact, just in the room I'm in, there's a green glass bottle a lot like in that party linked above, that has spring water, not alcohol. So far it hasn't been explicitly mentioned, and it's not in the spirit of the show, so I'd say alcohol isn't there.

Lol, it's kinda funny. My mom says she used to be really "Ditsy", and in her High School yearbook lots of people wrote "try to stay sober" and such, because they thought she was acting drunk... But she never drank a drop at that point!

Things Pinkie is good at:

Throwing parties,

Making ponies feel better,

Eating party food,

Singing,

Detecting danger,

Chasing ponies,

AND friend-zoning everyone in Equestria.

Anybody entertained the idea that the rocks Pinkie's family farmed contained The Spice? :huh: (Brohoof to whoever gets that reference)

Oh, that's good. :D I'd carry the theme out but that might be beating a dead sandworm. hehe

Srsly, I kind of see Pinkie as Discord harnessed. She's so random, but it's all geared toward the good of others, as opposed to his chaos that often harms those it befalls. Thus, she aids in keeping balance in Equestria.

And she's one heck of a party planner/caterer/baker. NOM. Now I need a muffin.

well isn't it kind of? You're suggesting if people provide us with enough pure fun entertainment we'll eventually just forget about the more shameful methods people use to feel good about themselves. One could argue you're just exchanging one addiction for another really lol.

On the contrary. ... and still not.

Drugs and alcohol are all about escaping, ignoring the real world, often due to the world feeling way too harsh.

However, they lack something important, that one only gains through truly being entertained, having fun, and feeling that someone truly cares.

Lacking being entertained, having fun, and feeling that someone truly cares, result in the use of drugs and alcohol to gain that feeling .... but it is never truly satisfied, and this is also part of the addiction-problems.

However, with Pinkie around, you'd probably not need any kinds of drugs or such, at all, because she contribues with something you need, to begin with.

If you need something, you seek ways to get it, it is not wierder than trying to breathe when you are suffocating.

However, where drugs, alcohol and such, may be compared to thick smoke, even poisonus, there Pinkie Pie is fresh and clear air, or even oxygen.

(edited)

*thinks about the fanfiction she read on twilight sparkle's sleep over where she has an orgy* :blink:

yeah pinki has way better parties then.....ehhhh...most *vomits*

Edited by Norngirl

On the contrary. ... and still not.

Drugs and alcohol are all about escaping, ignoring the real world, often due to the world feeling way too harsh.

However, they lack something important, that one only gains through truly being entertained, having fun, and feeling that someone truly cares.

Lacking being entertained, having fun, and feeling that someone truly cares, result in the use of drugs and alcohol to gain that feeling .... but it is never truly satisfied, and this is also part of the addiction-problems.

However, with Pinkie around, you'd probably not need any kinds of drugs or such, at all, because she contribues with something you need, to begin with.

If you need something, you seek ways to get it, it is not wierder than trying to breathe when you are suffocating.

However, where drugs, alcohol and such, may be compared to thick smoke, even poisonus, there Pinkie Pie is fresh and clear air, or even oxygen.

You could be surrounded by people you know who all do drugs and think it's entertaining, fun, and that they all care about you. And being at a party does not mean you'll necessarily feel any of those things even among people who consider you their friend.

In the end, parties are just like drugs, video games, movies, the internet, and every other form of entertainment - they're there for you to escape reality and you can get addicted to them. Maybe not a physical addiction, but definitely a mental one.

• Brohoof 1