INFP

Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving

89% 38% 62% 44%

Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Perceiving

by Joe Butt

Profile: INFP

Revision: 3.0

Date of Revision: 26 Feb 2005

"I remember the first albatross I ever saw. ... At intervals, it arched forth its vast archangel wings, as if to embrace some holy ark. Wondrous flutterings and throbbings shook it. Though bodily unharmed, it uttered cries, as some king's ghost in super natural distress. Through its inexpressible, strange eyes, methought I peeped to secrets not below the heavens. As Abraham before the angels, I bowed myself..." --(Herman Melville, Moby Dick)

INFPs never seem to lose their sense of wonder. One might say they see life through rose-colored glasses. It's as though they live at the edge of a looking-glass world where mundane objects come to life, where flora and fauna take on near-human qualities.

INFP children often exhibit this in a 'Calvin and Hobbes' fashion, switching from reality to fantasy and back again. With few exceptions, it is the NF child who readily develops imaginary playmates (as with Anne of Green Gables's "bookcase girlfriend"--her own reflection) and whose stuffed animals come to life like the Velveteen Rabbit and the Skin Horse:

"...Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand..." (the Skin Horse)

INFPs have the ability to see good in almost anyone or anything. Even for the most unlovable the INFP is wont to have pity.

Rest you, my enemy,

Slain without fault,

Life smacks but tastelessly

Lacking your salt!

Stuck in a bog whence naught

May catapult me,

Come from the grave, long-sought,

Come and insult me!

--(Steven Vincent Benet, Elegy for an Enemy)

Their extreme depth of feeling is often hidden, even from themselves, until circumstances evoke an impassioned response:

"I say, Queequeg! Why don't you speak? It's I--Ishmael." But all remained still as before. ... Something must have happened. Apoplexy!

... And running up after me, she caught me as I was again trying to force open the door. ... "Have to burst it open," said I, and was running down the entry a little, for a good start, when the landlady caught me, again vowing I should not break down her premises; but I tore from her, and with a sudden bodily rush dashed myself full against the mark.--(Melville, Moby Dick)

Of course, not all of life is rosy, and INFPs are not exempt from the same disappointments and frustrations common to humanity. As INTPs tend to have a sense of failed competence, INFPs struggle with the issue of their own ethical perfection, e.g., perfo rmance of duty for the greater cause. An INFP friend describes the inner conflict as not good versus bad, but on a grand scale,Good vs. Evil. Luke Skywalker in Star Wars depicts this conflict in his struggle between the two sides of "The Force." Although the dark side must be reckoned with, the INFP believes that good ultimately triumphs.

Some INFPs have a gift for taking technical information and putting it into layman's terms. Brendan Kehoe's Zen and the Art of the Internet is one example of this "de-jargoning" talent in action.

Functional Analysis:

Introverted Feeling

INFPs live primarily in a rich inner world of introverted Feeling. Being inward-turning, the natural attraction is away from world and toward essence and ideal. This introversion of dominant Feeling, receiving its data from extraverted intuition, must be the source of the quixotic nature of these usually gentle beings. Feeling is caught in the approach- avoidance bind between concern both for people and for All Creatures Great and Small, and a psycho-magnetic repulsion from the same. The "object," be it

homo sapiens

or a mere representation of an organism, is valued only to the degree that the object contains some measure of the inner Essence or greater Good. Doing a good deed, for example, may provide intrinsic satisfaction which is only secondary to the greater good of striking a blow against Man's Inhumanity to Mankind.

Extraverted iNtuition

Extraverted intuition faces outward, greeting the world on behalf of Feeling. What the observer usually sees is creativity with implied good will. Intuition spawns this type's philosophical bent and strengthens pattern perception. It combines as auxiliary with introverted Feeling and gives rise to unusual skill in both character development and fluency with language--a sound basis for the development of literary facility. If INTPs aspire to word mechanics, INFPs would be verbal artists.

Introverted Sensing

Sensing is introverted and often invisible. This stealth function in the third position gives INFPs a natural inclination toward absent- mindedness and other-worldliness, however, Feeling's strong people awareness provides a balancing, mitigating effect. This introverted Sensing is somewhat categorical, a subdued version of SJ sensing. In the third position, however, it is easily overridden by the stronger functions.

Extraverted Thinking

The INFP may turn to inferior extraverted Thinking for help in focusing on externals and for closure. INFPs can even masquerade in their ESTJ business suit, but not without expending considerable energy. The inferior, problematic nature of Extraverted Thinking is its lack of context and proportion. Single impersonal facts may loom large or attain higher priority than more salient principles which are all but overlooked.

Edited by Lamii

Ohhhhhh why not, I'm a sucker for these for a laugh.

ISFJ

Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging

100 12 38 33

ISFJs are characterized above all by their desire to serve others, their "need to be needed." In extreme cases, this need is so strong that standard give-and-take relationships are deeply unsatisfying to them; however, most ISFJs find more than enough with which to occupy themselves within the framework of a normal life. (Since ISFJs, like all SJs, are very much bound by the prevailing social conventions, their form of "service" is likely to exclude any elements of moral or political controversy; they specialize in the local, the personal, and the practical.)

ISFJs are often unappreciated, at work, home, and play. Ironically, because they prove over and over that they can be relied on for their loyalty and unstinting, high-quality work, those around them often take them for granted--even take advantage of them. Admittedly, the problem is sometimes aggravated by the ISFJs themselves; for instance, they are notoriously bad at delegating ("If you want it done right, do it yourself"). And although they're hurt by being treated like doormats, they are often unwilling to toot their own horns about their accomplishments because they feel that although they deserve more credit than they're getting, it's somehow wrong to want any sort of reward for doing work (which is supposed to be a virtue in itself). (And as low-profile Is, their actions don't call attention to themselves as with charismatic Es.) Because of all of this, ISFJs are often overworked, and as a result may suffer from psychosomatic illnesses.

In the workplace, ISFJs are methodical and accurate workers, often with very good memories and unexpected analytic abilities; they are also good with people in small-group or one-on-one situations because of their patient and genuinely sympathetic approach to dealing with others. ISFJs make pleasant and reliable co-workers and exemplary employees, but tend to be harried and uncomfortable in supervisory roles. They are capable of forming strong loyalties, but these are personal rather than institutional loyalties; if someone they've bonded with in this way leaves the company, the ISFJ will leave with them, if given the option. Traditional careers for an ISFJ include: teaching, social work, most religious work, nursing, medicine (general practice only), clerical and and secretarial work of any kind, and some kinds of administrative careers.

While their work ethic is high on the ISFJ priority list, their families are the centers of their lives. ISFJs are extremely warm and demonstrative within the family circle--and often possessive of their loved ones, as well. When these include Es who want to socialize with the rest of the world, or self-contained ITs, the ISFJ must learn to adjust to these behaviors and not interpret them as rejection. Being SJs, they place a strong emphasis on conventional behavior (although, unlike STJs, they are usually as concerned with being "nice" as with strict propriety); if any of their nearest and dearest depart from the straight-and-narrow, it causes the ISFJ major embarrassment: the closer the relationship and the more public the act, the more intense the embarrassment (a fact which many of their teenage children take gleeful advantage of). Over time, however, ISFJs usually mellow, and learn to regard the culprits as harmless eccentrics :-). Needless to say, ISFJs take infinite trouble over meals, gifts, celebrations, etc., for their loved ones--although strong Js may tend to focus more on what the recipient should want rather than what they do want.

Like most Is, ISFJs have a few, close friends. They are extremely loyal to these, and are ready to provide emotional and practical support at a moment's notice. (However, like most Fs they hate confrontation; if you get into a fight, don't expect them to jump in after you. You can count on them, however, run and get the nearest authority figure.) Unlike with EPs, the older the friendship is, the more an ISFJ will value it. One ISFJ trait that is easily misunderstood by those who haven't known them long is that they are often unable to either hide or articulate any distress they may be feeling. For instance, an ISFJ child may be reproved for "sulking," the actual cause of which is a combination of physical illness plus misguided "good manners." An adult ISFJ may drive a (later ashamed) friend or SO into a fit of temper over the ISFJ's unexplained moodiness, only afterwards to explain about a death in the family they "didn't want to burden anyone with." Those close to ISFJs should learn to watch for the warning signs in these situations and take the initiative themselves to uncover the problem.

Um...wow. That is...a lot of introvertedness ._. and uh...that's disturbingly accurate. Like to the very point it's describing what I'm doing RIGHT NOW.

Oh god ><

The no in-betweens certainly bugged me, especially with how vague a good portion of the questions were.

Yeaaaaah I hate the tests with straight yes/no answers. I bet Fluttershy does too, hehe...

God dammit this test hit me too hard.

Edited by FinalGamer

I feel crazy, I have two types of attitudes and mindsets depending on where I am. =/

Active me

Your Type is

ESTP

Extraverted Sensing Thinking Perceiving

56 _______ 25 _____ 25 ________ 44

Stoic and silent me

Your Type is

INTJ

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

56 ______ 25 ______ 88 _____ 22

INTP

Introverted intuitive thinking perceiving

Why aren't I like Fluttershy?! WHY?!?!?!

I don't like these tests that are yes or no with no in betweens. Not realistic.

Why aren't I more introverted?

Edited by 3p1cd3m0n

• 5 weeks later...

INFP

Introverted - 78

Intuitive - 25

Feeling - 25

Perceiving - 33

Funny, I always thought myself more ISFP... But looking at this, my results make sense.

EDIT:

That bronyland test didn't get me at all... Got Rarity, Fluttershy, Twilight, then the rest (Ordered greatest to least).

Edited by AJHunter

Oh, I took this test a loong time ago, but I did it again for the heck of it. A friend of mine showed it to me from another forum. The tests tend to say that I am INFJ, but I feel that I am more of an INFP based on the readings. lol I'll still share what I have.

Posted Image

INTJ. So close. I didn't like several of the questions and would have preferred a slider on those. So I think it's likely I could have gotten INTP and may get it on some other day if I take the test again. I read a few descriptions and both INTJ and INTP describe me quite well, so...

Well, I got ENFJ which, according to that chart, is Rarity. How nice!

Your Type is ENFJ

Extraverted Intuitive Feeling Judging

Strength of the preferences %

1 50 62 44

~ Qualitative analysis of your type formula

You are:

~ slightly expressed extravert

~ moderately expressed intuitive personality

~ distinctively expressed feeling personality

~ moderately expressed judging personality

ENFJs are the benevolent 'pedagogues' of humanity. They have tremendous charisma by which many are drawn into their nurturant tutelage and/or grand schemes. Many ENFJs have tremendous power to manipulate others with their phenomenal interpersonal skills and unique salesmanship. But it's usually not meant as manipulation -- ENFJs generally believe in their dreams, and see themselves as helpers and enablers, which they usually are.

ENFJs are global learners. They see the big picture. The ENFJs focus is expansive. Some can juggle an amazing number of responsibilities or projects simultaneously. Many ENFJs have tremendous entrepreneurial ability.

ENFJs are, by definition, Js, with whom we associate organization and decisiveness. But they don't resemble the SJs or even the NTJs in organization of the environment nor occasional recalcitrance. ENFJs are organized in the arena of interpersonal affairs. Their offices may or may not be cluttered, but their conclusions (reached through feelings) about people and motives are drawn much more quickly and are more resilient than those of their NFP counterparts.

ENFJs know and appreciate people. Like most NFs, (and Feelers in general), they are apt to neglect themselves and their own needs for the needs of others. They have thinner psychological boundaries than most, and are at risk for being hurt or even abused by less sensitive people. ENFJs often take on more of the burdens of others than they can bear.

TRADEMARK: "The first shall be last"

This refers to the open-door policy of ENFJs. One ENFJ colleague always welcomes me into his office regardless of his own circumstances. If another person comes to the door, he allows them to interrupt our conversation with their need. While discussing that need, the phone rings and he stops to answer it. Others drop in with a 'quick question.' I finally get up, go to my office and use the call waiting feature on the telephone. When he hangs up, I have his undivided attention!

Functional Analysis:

Extraverted Feeling

Extraverted Feeling rules the ENFJ's psyche. In the sway of this rational function, these folks are predisposed to closure in matters pertaining to people, and especially on behalf of their beloved. As extraverts, their contacts are wide ranging. Face-to-face relationships are intense, personable and warm, though they may be so infrequently achieved that intimate friendships are rare.

Introverted iNtuition

Like their INFJ cousins, ENFJs are blessed through introverted intuition with clarity of perception in the inner, unconscious world. Dominant Feeling prefers to find the silver lining in even the most beggarly perceptions of those in their expanding circle of friends and, of course, in themselves. In less balanced individuals, such mitigation of the unseemly eventually undermines the ENFJ's integrity and frequently their good name. In healthier individuals, deft use of this awareness of the inner needs and desires of others enables this astute type to win friends, influence people, and avoid compromising entanglements.

The dynamic nature of their intuition moves ENFJs from one project to another with the assurance that the next one will be perfect, or much more nearly so than the last. ENFJs are continually looking for newer and better solutions to benefit their extensive family, staff, or organization.

Extraverted Sensing

Sensing is extraverted. ENFJs can manage details, particularly those necessary to implement the prevailing vision. These data have, however, a magical flexible quality. Something to be bought can be had for a song; the same something is invaluable when it's time to sell. (We are not certain, but we suspect that such is the influence of the primary function.) This wavering of sensory perception is made possible by the weaker and less mature status with which the tertiary is endowed.

Introverted Thinking

Introverted Thinking is least apparent and most enigmatic in this type. In fact, it often appears only when summoned by Feeling. At times only in jest, but in earnest if need be, Thinking entertains as logical only those conclusions which support Feeling's values. Other scenarios can be shown invalid or at best significantly inferior. Such "Thinking in the service of Feeling" has the appearance of logic, but somehow it never quite adds up.

Introverted Thinking is frequently the focus of the spiritual quest of ENFJs. David's lengthiest psalm, 119, pays it homage. "Law," "precept," "commandment," "statute:" these essences of inner thinking are the mysteries of Deity for which this great Feeler's soul searched.

Famous ENFJs:

David, King of Israel

U.S. Presidents:

Abraham Lincoln

Ronald Reagan

Barack Obama

William Cullen Bryant, poet

Abraham Maslow, psychologist and proponent of self-actualization

Ross Perot

Sean Connery

Elizabeth Dole

Francois Mitterand

Dick Van Dyke

Andy Griffith

James Garner

William Aramony, former president of United Way

Gene Hackman (Superman, Antz)

Dennis Hopper (Speed)

Brenda Vaccaro

Craig T. Nelson (Coach)

Diane Sawyer (Good Morning America)

Randy Quaid (Bye Bye, Love; Independence Day)

Tommy Lee Jones (The Fugitive)

Kirstie Alley ("Cheers," Look Who's Talking movies)

Michael Jordan, NBA basketball player

Johnny Depp (Pirates of the Caribbean)

Oprah Winfrey

Bob Saget America's Funniest Home Videos, Full House

Julia Louis-Dreyfus ("Seinfeld")

Ben Stiller (The Royal Tenenbaums)

Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts quarterback

Matthew McConaughey (The Wedding Planner)

Pete Sampras, Tennis Champion

Lauren Graham ("Gilmore Girls")

Ben Affleck (The Sum Of All Fears)

John Cusack (High Fidelity)

Fictional ENFJs:

Joe Hackett, Wings

*is a little giddy at being in the same boat as, well, lincoln and william cullen bryant*

INTJ. So close. I didn't like several of the questions and would have preferred a slider on those. So I think it's likely I could have gotten INTP and may get it on some other day if I take the test again. I read a few descriptions and both INTJ and INTP describe me quite well, so...

http://similarminds.com/jung.html

This test let's you answer question based on rating. I think this will work better for you and I actually prefer this one!

http://similarminds.com/jung.html

This test let's you answer question based on rating. I think this will work better for you and I actually prefer this one!

I like this test a lot more because of the scaled answers. Oddly enough I got this:

Introverted (I) 80% Extroverted (E) 20%

Sensing (S) 53.85% Intuitive (N) 46.15%

Thinking (T) 80.65% Feeling (F) 19.35%

Judging (J) 58.33% Perceiving (P) 41.67%

Why are you so surpised? =3

I'm not too sure. Outside of, say, the vanity thing, I've reason to believe that I shall less in common with you than any other active member on these boards. It's just uncanny, is all, didn't see it coming.

I'm not too sure. Outside of, say, the vanity thing, I've reason to believe that I shall less in common with you than any other active member on these boards. It's just uncanny, is all, didn't see it coming.

The Alicorn you see on the forums and The guy you see on the drillpad may be the same person but they act totally diferent. I'm way more open and social here then IRL, i expect the same from you.

The Alicorn you see on the forums and The guy you see on the drillpad may be the same person but they act totally diferent. I'm way more open and social here then IRL, i expect the same from you.

Nah, it's the inverse; I'm actually more introverted on here than in public. But yeah, I guess that makes sense.

ENFJ... I was expecting INTJ but things sure have changed over time.

• slightly expressed extravert
  • moderately expressed intuitive personality
  • moderately expressed feeling personality
  • slightly expressed judging personality