Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If you were in charge of created a mlp reboot.

Dabmanz

14 minutes ago, Dabmanz said:

I just noticed I made a mistake in the post title I used created instead of creating. lol :P

You created a mistake, I see. :P

• Brohoof 1

For target audience (and standard Bronies): My little Pony: Tea party school magical girl rainbow shit

And for our mean ol' cabal of lore and hatred: a new adult magical creature franchise that is completely separate from MLP.

I've actually been envisioning this for quite awhile. Based on Hasbro's push for retro-themed merchandise within the past few years, my show would star new interpretations of G1 ponies like Firefly, Wind Whistler, and Gusty. They live in a secret world on the other side of the rainbow, where all mythical creatures retreated to in order to avoid persecution by humans in the olden days. It would have elements of G1, such as many of the ponies, Tirek and Scorpan, Grogar, The Smooze, and Mr. Moochick, as well as a darker, but still sweet and upbeat tone. From G4, Discord, Celestia & Luna and the Changelings would be present. The Elements of Harmony also would return, this time playing a bigger role, with a season wide story arc where the ponies find them. It will even take some inspiration from G3 (and to an extent, the 2017 G5 leaks), with the Earth Ponies, Unicorns, and Pegasi living in separate kingdoms, never having heard of each other. I have the idea that the three kingdoms would have to unite in order to defeat a villain, and then all become open to each other. 

I'd go in the make a main show for the usual target audience, and have a spin-off with less kid friendly stuff and more adult oriented topics.

The main show would be far more full of adventures, like it was intended to be. And twilight's alicornication would be the very end of the show. Maybe give the crusaders their cutiemarks by the final season. I would probably dedicate the last 2 seasons to tie all the knots with 2 parters. Would also talk a bit more about AJ's parents and Scoots disability, and totally not do the everycreature bull. And would totally focus on more lore development within the show, and mention of more grim stuff a la G1.

For my spin-off, I'd pick some fan favorite characters and add some other random ones and play the slice of life a bit harder on them than on the mane6. Also, I would play with an idea an old friend of mine had for his webcomic; having non-protagonist characters have their own world saving adventures off-screen and comment them in the background while we focus on our protagonists. The protagonists would be far from flawless, having to cope with adulthood and messing up more often than they would be willing to admit. I'd put them to save the world too, in a way less whimsical way and from cosmic horror threats instead of the average mythological creatures seen on the main series. The protagonists would most likely be expendable. I mean, death is a thing for this spin-off, and while I'd keep the gore very low if not inexcistent, I would totally be up to kill characters through the series.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

I'd go in the make a main show for the usual target audience, and have a spin-off with less kid friendly stuff and more adult oriented topics.

But that would cut the budget in half!

They tried something like that with Equestria Girls, secretly aiming towards older guys.... Okay I don't know that. But they never made a series because... budget.

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

But that would cut the budget in half!

They tried something like that with Equestria Girls, secretly aiming towards older guys.... Okay I don't know that. But they never made a series because... budget.

Less budget on invited stars should help.

Also, an adult show can work in a smaller budget than the average cartoon aimed for kids. The point in an adult show is to tell the story rather than having pretty animation. Besides, the spin-off can work on short seasons because is story focused. FiM is episodic and doesn't follow too much of a sequence through a season. We get the premiere and finale and a bunch of middle episodes in no known chronologic order in between.

Also, I thought the eqg thing was Hasbro's attempt to take part in the magical highschool market that had been so profitable for matel at the moment. You know, monster high and happily ever after high were selling far too well at the moment, and Hasbro attempted to put the hit of the moment on said market.

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Also, I thought the eqg thing was Hasbro's attempt to take part in the magical highschool market that had been so profitable for matel at the moment. You know, monster high and happily ever after high were selling far too well at the moment, and Hasbro attempted to put the hit of the moment on said market.

Yes that is true. But they didn't have the budget to make full episodes, or else they would have.

3 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Iv was. What market is uour older spin-off selling what too?

2 hours ago, Splashee said:

Yes that is true. But they didn't have the budget to make full episodes, or else they would have.

I feel like EQG suffered from not getting full episodes honestly.

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

Not quite, actually.

Eqg didn't need a show for itself since the source material was well known and the marketing didn't need to resort to such a thing. FiM pretty much was a 20 minutes ad for the whole brand and the spin-offs, so making an actual show for the cashgrab they just threw in was far less useful for marketing the product. EqG didn't need marketing aside from a few tv ads, mentions on magazines and probably some social media, since the target audience wasn't the same as it was for FiM anyway. EqG was for preteens who are already social media savvy and who play to be teens and buy girly magazines and watch idillic high school dramas and dream of prom dances when they grow a bit older. FiM was aimed at a general audience, focusing on the younger girls that are old enough to go to elementary but not too old like to find colorful ponies to be far too corny for their tastes.

So, making a side show was not only unnecessary, but rather expensive and wouldn't really help with sales. Their target audience most likely had already grown up knowing the cast and brand, but would not be as interested on a tv show about them in an alternate setting. So what was the best way to reach them? The internet. We are in the digital era and everypony has social media at a tap of a hoof on a touchscreen away. No need to pay millions on 20 minutes of an add which also requires a whole crew of writers, animators and other jobs. So, instead of a whole show, a web series of animated shorts would suffice for the task. Less personel, less production times, less air time spent. That's why they stopped making the thatrical releases of EqG. It was far too expensive and didn't raise sales as much as they expected at first.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

All these changes might not serve well haha but here are my ideas.

I'd probably change some of the personalities of the mane 6.

I'd make applejack a more modern streetwise character just because I think that is what the writers would do.

I'd make twilight more down to earth and less about magic. Still maybe quite similar to how she is.

I'd make fluttershy more of an overall nature lover? Still shy though ofc

Rainbow dash maybe a little nicer idk and more funny with quite a sense of humor.

Pinkie pie would look good with wings. Maybe i'd change personality maybe not cuz I quite like how she is though she could have more personality states maybe like even more extreme.. I'd make pinkie pie and rainbow dash closer.

Rarity idk maybe i'd give her a little dark side lool she still be nice overall just for like contrast. 

I'd bring back some gen1 characters (if there were no rights issues) and develop them further.  

More worlds, species and villians. A little "darker" in a cinematic way but still a show basically for kids. More about travelling to places. Maybe even a sort of dr who like vibe to some of it. And an art style that is pretty in some way.

Also more male ponies and some with a lighter colour palette haha like more feminine. They don't always need to take a backscene.

Now I just got a random idea of adventure time but ponies lol nah I wouldn't watch that ha or like it. 

Edited by flurry

On 6/7/2020 at 2:44 AM, Handsome Changeling said:

It would be a beautiful thing... No ponies. Only Changelings!

And not the green ones, right?

That would be glorious! Hasbro would make so much money on selling toys as well! :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'd add elements from previous generations, while mixing it up with my own ideas (toned down, of course, since my imagination can get really dark).

Although, I can't decide whether or not Megan should be in it. If I added her to my hypothetical reboot, then Earth would be real, too, and Equestria/Ponyland/Whatever would exist in another dimension accessed by a portal under a tree in Megan's backyard.

There would probably be humans in the pony realm, also, living in a medieval fantasy setting but with bits of steampunk, Renaissance, and magically-powered machinery thrown in for flavor. (they'd ride two-legged ostrich-type creatures as mounts to avoid any implications).

Twilight Sparkle would be the main pony character, and either be Celestia's student, again, or be a powerful sorceress a princess of her tribe

The Moochick would be in it, serving as a wise sage and one of the pony realm's most powerful magic users, battling against Tirek in a great war that happened centuries ago.

There would be goblins, hobgoblins, trolls, ogres, golems, and maybe dwarves, elves, gnomes, and other mythological beings.

If Megan were to be in my hypothetical reboot, I'd probably make her a teenager. Plus, her first encounter with the ponies will be when she bumps into Twilight and one of the other main pony characters (probably Applejack), who are being chased by Tirek's henchmen.You can probably imagine Megan's reaction when Twilight first speaks.

Rainbow Dash would be a Robin Hood-esque thief, stealing from Tirek and giving to the oppressed, accompanied by Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy.

Spike would be an orphaned baby dragon adopted by Twilight's tribe after his dragon clan was slaughtered (off screen) and enslaved by Tirek's forces.

Rarity would be a tailor in Twilight's tribe, and also part-time treasure hunter.

There would be anthropomorphic animals.

Sunset Shimmer would be a unicorn pony disguised as a human in Megan's world named Sarah Summers.

The Sirens would be among Tirek's most loyal servants.

Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings would serve Tirek's empire as spies, but Chrysalis would secretly plot to overthrow Tirek.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1