Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should we bronies make a good "representation" to the public?

CapnKrunk

(edited)

Simple question:Should we make a good representation to bronies and the show?

I'd have to say yes.Because first of all.Some of these traits I think are:Not braging how your better than everyone else because you watch the show.Not shoving it "down peoples throats"too.If you want more people to be bronies.Then you have to make it look good,Or else it's going to be stereotyped,and most importantly.Not everyone has to be brony,or like the show.I'd had to learn this the hard way.

NOTE:THIS IS ALL JUST OPINIONS.IT IS NOT TO JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE.EVERYPONY EQUAL! AND SAME RESPECT!

post-1762-0-27058300-1338874848.jpg

Edited by Flutter Derp
  • Brohoof 3

Yes. This can apply to almost any fandom. Since the fans are willing to show their pride, they can easily be used to sum up the fanbase of a certain culture, automatically labeling people who don't act like the diehards with something their not.

Not everyone has to be brony,or like the show.

I don't get it?

JK,

Anyways, I only tend to aggressively "shove mlp down peoples throat" if they mock the show. If they are borderline or unknown I just list off all the amazing perks.

• Brohoof 1

Oh hell yes, that is the answer. But how?

Many of those ignorant haters are already dead set on hating us, and keep spreading bad words about this fandom. Our own comrades in many places also indirectly plunging us deeper to the dark alley with their hypocrisy.

Unfortunately we can't just round them all in one pit and set them on fire.

A good representation to the public?

Everyone should make a good representation to the public. It's only common courtesy. Don't press your love of the show onto anyone else who might not care, and you'll get along with most people just fine. There are those crazy haters, but avoiding them is easy.

I think good representation is a excellent way to go, many of us don't follow through with the "Love and Tolerate" idea so well, I think if we practiced with that then we would promote "Good faithful students" and kids would act better and then the next generation can teach the previous generation and the generation after theirs.

I think that the best way to "give a good impression" is to just stay who you are. You don't have to brag about it, you can ignore haters etc.

The most haters "hate" bronies after all because bronies are so sensitive about this. It's fun to tease people who are into "girly pony teaparties". I've heard that some people are just OK with bronies, but sometimes the way bronies act in public goes just overboard, and that's why they don't tolerate the MLP-fandom.

Inkow it must be harsh to tolerate haters who mostly talk about MLP thinking what it was during the 80's.... But I think one of the best ways to get a "good image" for bronies is pretty much tolerating.

Oh, and less "Lyra plushies", if you know what plusie I mean.... Those just gives the image that we're ponysexuals or something.

Yes. Although there are quite a few haters already, we certainly don't need any more!

One of the problems I see people having most often are those idiots who go around forcing it on everyone they meet. - We can't force it on people or they will think we are a crazed cult.

And yes, if we don't do something about it, it is going to gather a negative stereotype rather quickly.

Making a good impression is key to us reducing the number of haters. (It can be done you know!)

Additionally those of you who do enjoy that sort of thing please, please do not go around shouting about how you look at R34 of MLP.

If we all stay true to our message of 'love and tolerance' then we will be fine.

Of course but the main problem would be that people tend to focus on the bad, thus overshadowing any good intentions that may come from a group. I mean the way some of us act is on par with some of the more infamous users of the internet and that is just not good at all.

Positive public representation would be nice, but somehow, I don't think it'd make much of a difference in the social world. Just like any other subculture that's gets positive publicity, there are always people to who oppose it, sometimes for respectable reasons, and sometimes otherwise. Either way, work to publicly represent ourselves in a positive way is a good idea, but at the same time, it also has potential to inspire even greater effort for negative representation. Publicity is a double-edged blade.

I prestented my bronyhood at a card game tornament a few months ago, i wore a princess celestia T-shirt, i had a few bronies come up to me and talk to me. I was playing someone and he subtley mocked the shirt after he beat me the first game(Best two out of three) I then proceeded to flog him the next two games.

I will proudly display my brony hood at large events, but i let people approach me, it's my way of saying, i'm a brony if you are to come chat why not.

But what's more important, a couple of bronies being loud and annoying, or all of us banding together to raise over $15,000 for a small clinic in Uganda with brony charities such as Seeds of Kindness and Bronies For Good? :)

I like that idea, i might try get the Canberra bronies to try do something, hmmmm.

We should simply do good to do good. For better or for worse, people will have their opinions of us regardless of what we try to make ourselves look like.

While this is cerntainly a valid point, doing a charity event is just a god thing to do in general, and to be honest i know of no community more generous then bronies. i think it's a great way to raise money for charity, and looking good isn't the agenda for the act.
  • Brohoof 3

While this is cerntainly a valid point, doing a charity event is just a god thing to do in general, and to be honest i know of no community more generous then bronies. i think it's a great way to raise money for charity, and looking good isn't the agenda for the act.

I completely agree.

Oh, and less "Lyra plushies", if you know what plusie I mean.... Those just gives the image that we're ponysexuals or something.

There's only one as far as I know of, but yes, less of a *hint hint* representation of Bronies in public would certainly do us good.

Bronies took that plushie well:

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

Heck, I've gone 'herpa' derpa' down the street in a Rainbow Dash Twenty Percent Cooler T-shirt.

The best thing would be to remain calm around haters and don't go all like 'Bitch, MLP is the best thing in the world and if you don't watch it, you suck.' that is what gives a bad name you know and I've seen a lot of Bronies do this.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

This is honestly a given for me. Even if this fanbase didn't have an incredible amount of haters that we'd like to not provoke, shoving the show in people's faces, being obnoxious about it, never giving it a rest around those who aren't into it, etc is just asking for trouble in general. So yes, I do believe in being good about it, because when you're good about it, you're not risking the chance of turning more people to disliking it because of that, and are also letting people who are generally curious about it, approach the show, and then decide for themselves if they'd like to become involved or not.

Like I once said in another topic, if you wanna be subtle about it and wear tons of pony merchandise, etc fine, that's actually a great thing to do. Because you're not doing anything that upsets anyone else on purpose; if someone get's upset from you wearing a brony shirt when you're minding your own business, that's their problem and not yours. Like The Awesome One said, it's once you start verbally going on and on about it, even attempting to convince people that they 'need' to watch it, where the issues come in.

I'm a living example of this, by the way. I despised the hype of this show before I got into it. I got so irritated that so many people across all the sites I go on, from DeviantART to Sonic boards, all had pony avatars, sigs, and talked about them any chance they could. It put me off to the subject a lot, even though I was smart enough to know that it was not the show's fault for having fans like that.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

I think the basic rule here is to not treat this like some people treat religion. I mean, the majority of religious people (at least where I live) are very polite and aware that others might not share their beliefs, so they keep their religion in their pants when they're out in public. However, there are a few, and I'm sure we've all heard/met one at some point in our lives, that go absolutely nuts when someone doesn't agree with them because their so blinded by their own views and they end up not only forcing their ideas of "morals" down peoples throats *cough*northcarolina*cough* but also ruining everyone else's views of that religion

I think that only a small, very small minority of bronies actually have this thump-their-chest-because-they're-a-brony attitude. I think most of us bronies display a much more reserved attitude concerning the show, that generally follows along the lines of, "Yeah, I love MLP: FiM, I think it's a great show and that anybody else who hasn't seen it should check it out, but if you don't want to, that's fine by me". IDK about the rest of you bronies, but that's always been my attitude concerning the show.

in IRL yes, but the internet is full of rude, unmannered citizens. its survival of the fitest in this world we call the internet...

It's too bad that people will never understand that not all bronies and fans of the show are the percentage that go out and religiously force it on others online. Oh well.