Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Have you encounter stuff on the Web that radically changed the original meaning of innocent words?

Will Guide

Back in 2002, Super Mario Sunshine was a GameCube game with the final tough level being called Corona Mountain due to the volcano like mountain being lik Isle Delfino's "crown". It had distressing music to fit the mood of a tough lava-themed level. Then in 2010, the Disney movie Tangled featured the Kingdom of Corona, which at the time seemed fitting because it means crown and a stolen crown played a plot point in the story.

But ever since the Corona Virus, which was named for the virus' crown shape, some obnoxious people have been making the wild claims whenever someone talks about Super Mario Sunshine or Tangled or anything that uses the word Corona.  People's comments in YouTube videos that's supposed to be about the Final SMS level claim that Isle Delfino is the source of a virus that will kill the rest of the Mario world. At worst, claiming Mario should be considered a criminal. Andwhen it comes to Tangled, some people are now acting like Mother Gothel is right to lock Rapunzel away for "her safety". Away from the Kingdom of Corona. When really Mother gothel was just using the Princess for her magic youth-restoring hair. There was even an TV series based on Tangled that aired in recent years before the COVID-19 pademic that helped viewers get to see more of the World of Tangled, its Characters, and the Kingdom of Crona.

These obnoxious people have been constantly acting like SMS and Tangled predicted the future, even though it was just a coincidence that the authorities chose a word that means crown. Even if they were meant as a joke, some people just want to talk about Tangled or Super Mario Sunshine without talking about the real-life virus. Besides, it's been over 4 months; you'd think making Internet references to a virus would have run its course by now. Heck on a YouTube video playing the music of Corona Mountain in SMS, one comment points out how 80% of the comments mention the virus and the remaining 20% actually talks about the game itself. It feels more like 99.99999% of the comments in the last several months on that specific video are about COVID-19

Not just Corona, but remember how millennial used to simply mean "denoting people reaching young adulthood in the early 21st century" or depending on who you ask, people born in 1980-2000. But now because of the internet, some ignorant people use the word millennial as a derogatory word to insult people who grew up with the Rising Internet age among other fads of the 80s and 90's

Has anyone else feel like our Internet culture has "ruined" the original intended meaning of words, phrases and expressions? What words have you heard that have been used radically different from its original intended meaning?

• Brohoof 1

Ah, yes, quite a bunch of expressions and words are buried by horrible meanings to me now.

I'm not saying which ones, because I would rather have nopony google them up, but I can tell you, they go into disgusting and unlikely territory. Most of those words and expressions I learned back when I was a trooper on encyclopedia dramatica.

• Brohoof 1

My grandma and sometimes mum use word suck for vacuuming, so sometimes I hear phrases like "don't forget to suck before I get home". But thanks to the internet this word now means only one thing for me

Also a few years ago I didn't know "balls" had other meaning than a spherical bouncy objects, but again thanks to the internet...

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Will Guide said:

These obnoxious people have been constantly acting like SMS and Tangled predicted the future, even though it was just a coincidence that the authorities chose a word that means crown.

Hon... you know these are all jokes right?

I totally get that jokes get old and obnoxious, but the way you’re talking, it sounds like you think they’re serious.

18 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Hon... you know these are all jokes right?

I totally get that jokes get old and obnoxious, but the way you’re talking, it sounds like you think they’re serious.

Of course, I know they're jokes but I'm actually kind of serious that some people really want to talk about subjects that have nothing to do with the ruined word/expression, what have you. And not see an overused comment or post that practically everyone else is saying. I much rather see comments/post that bring something new to the table.

Besides, people need to be aware of the original meaning of certain words that have changed meaning due to our internet culture.

15 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

Of course, I know they're jokes but I'm actually kind of serious that some people really want to talk about subjects that have nothing to do with the ruined word/expression, what have you. And not see an overused comment or post that practically everyone else is saying. I much rather see comments/post that bring something new to the table.

Besides, people need to be aware of the original meaning of certain words that have changed meaning due to our internet culture.

Don’t worry. Corona won’t change in the long run. Not any more than the words “black” or “scarlet” changed with The Black Death (The Plague) or Scarlet Fever.

• Brohoof 1

I don't drink beer, but I am totally embarrassed as an American citizen by the idiots in my country who now refuse to drink Corona beer. 

The original new release from February 27 says 5W conducted phone surveys with 737 American beer drinkers. The survey made three claims. First, “38% of Americans wouldn’t buy Corona under any circumstances now.” Next, “Among those who said they usually drink Corona, only 4% said they would stop drinking Corona, but 14% said they wouldn’t order Corona in a public venue.” Finally, “16% of beer-drinking Americans were confused about whether Corona beer is related to the coronavirus.”

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Rainbow. I can no longer use rainbow without anyone associating it with kinks, BDMS, and stuff... sucks since I like actual rainbows and our favorite pastel horses are strongly associated with them :sunny:

and this is minor, as it won’t be permanent, but I like to refer to the CMCs collectively as “the cuties” :wub:. However, there’s an uproar about Netflix approving a movie called “Cuties”. Wouldn’t be so bad, if not were for being about 11 year olds in skimpy outfits doing the twerking dance :eww:

11 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

The word "woke" has been ruined quite hard by internet culture. Makes it even more ruined when you see it used ad naseum by people who think they are saying a zinger every time. :yeahno:

How so has the word woke been ruined hard?

To me, the only meaning the word is past tense of wake as in "I woke up at 7:00 am." Nothing about social agenda.

2 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

How so has the word woke been ruined hard?

To me, the only meaning the word is past tense of wake as in "I woke up at 7:00 am." Nothing about social agenda.

I assume you haven't seen the word being used differently around the internet lately, which if that is the case I envy you. It has been used a lot lately to describe something like a piece of media that has inclusion such as a gay or trans character or whatever else and when they use "woke" in this context, people are usually saying that whoever made the media is pandering or trying to appease to some "agenda" or whatever else. So basically, it quickly has become a buzzword for anti-LGBT people to throw around constantly while they act like they are being super clever and witty. It is essentially the new "SJW", where these people just dismiss something entirely with a single word. It is typical internet culture trash. 

• Brohoof 1