Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Shadow Lock fan club

Toastypk

Here's a comic character who I notice is somewhat popular, and I like him as well.

shadow_locke_full_view-01.png

2201711.png

Introduced in comic #51-53 and said to tie into the show in some way, Shadow Lock is a unicorn dude who Twilight catches stealing from her library. As they track him down, they find out that he's erasing the contents of specific books, as well as wiping the knowledge of anypony who's read them, all while saying he's trying to protect Equestria from something coming back. Not to mention he can fight by summoning monsters and creatures from books!

When Twilight intercepts him at an Equestrian History museum, he comes clean: He discovered that he's descended from an ancient evil, and he's haunted by the thought that it could come back and possibly come for him. He then set out to stop it by studying the magic of words, and learning how to forget. By erasing the contents of history books, he hopes that this darkness will stay forgotten and not come back. Thankfully, Twilight convinces him to stop by telling him the way to distance from the past is to understand it. However, she never did find out who this darkness was... it was shown in the comic, no name given, but the show hadn't shown it yet...

Spoiler

1427539.png

It's the Pony of Shadows!

He's Stygian's descendant!

I know I've seen comments from people wanting the two of them to meet now, I would love it if it happened in the Season 10 comics!

Edited by Toastypk
  • Brohoof 2

Shadow Lock made me curious about his backstory and Stygian's family.
If you ask me, I don't believe Stygian had foals or even a mate, but he may have had siblings that did. The book Shadow Lock found must have been written by one of Stygian's relatives or one of their foals who were aware of their brother's/uncle's dark history. Either that or the relative found this book and kept it for a random reason. But then, if Shadow Lock is the last pony alive who's related to Stygian, did they discontinue on purpose, from a sort of curse, or coincidentally?
Either way, the discovery of his past left Shadow Lock so traumatized that he felt the need to erase history. He's doesn't possess the power to go back in time, but he is able to erase text and books, bring stories/characters to life, and seemingly control dreams (temporarily).

12 hours ago, Toastypk said:

I know I've seen comments from people wanting the two of them to meet now, I would love it if it happened in the Season 10 comics!

Although it seemed like Twilight changed his mind about erasing texts from books, Shadow Lock is probably still shaken about his past. For he and Stygian to meet, Shadow Lock will be infuriated. It was Stygian or his actions that caused Shadow Lock to be distrustful and lonesome. If Stygian doesn't apologize or explain himself, Shadow Lock might forget Twilight's advice and go on another erasing rage

6 hours ago, Gaines said:

Although it seemed like Twilight changed his mind about erasing texts from books, Shadow Lock is probably still shaken about his past. For he and Stygian to meet, Shadow Lock will be infuriated. It was Stygian or his actions that caused Shadow Lock to be distrustful and lonesome. If Stygian doesn't apologize or explain himself, Shadow Lock might forget Twilight's advice and go on another erasing rage

I dunno actually, I've had a scenario play out in my head that could happen in the comic, or at least I would love it to,

Shadow Lock arrives at the castle to meet Twilight again. He says he found a copy of Me and My Shadow, the book that Stygian wrote shown in Rockhoof and a Hard Place, and believes his biggest fears have come to happen. He decides to show this to Twilight, intent on trying to stop what he believes is coming, but Twilight assures him that the darkness he is worried about is no longer a problem. And in fact, Stygian himself has become quite successful, not only as an author, but in some official royal role with Twilight, as one of the, as she says, smartest ponies she knows, as shown in the first Season 10 comic.

large.jpg

And Shadow Lock, amazed and relieved, would ask if he could meet this pony, who just so happens to be here at the castle right now....  :kirin: 

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Look what someone commissioned! (And it wasn't me, surprisingly!)

2745425.jpg

Pretty well made! (He has no pupils because this is how he looks with glowing eyes when he's doing his erasing magic.)

• 1 year later...