Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Little headcanons about hippogriffs

Demonslayer

I really love the hippogriffs, my OC is one and everything, i also love thinking about even the tiniest bits of the MLP world, so i think a lot about relatively mundane hippogriff headcanons. 

Like for example you can tell wether or not if a hippogriff is permanently on mt aris, or goes in between there and seaquestria by their horse shoes, perma griffs have metal nailed in shoes as a near necessity due to mt aris' rocky terrain, while seaponies visiting have to wear rubber clip on shoes as ordinary steel shoes cant transform with them, for that theres special shoes made from a transforming alloy typically reserved for the military and nobles. 

Another example is that a fair few hippogriffs were really shaken up by the storm kings siege and go further than just to stay permanently on Mt Aris, they can't even stand being submerged in water as it gives them trauma, so the majority of griffs sole method of cleaning themselves is preening, to enhance this theres special preening shampoo in the form of small beads the size of peas, the griff pops one in their beak swirls it with their tongue til it turns to foam and uses that to supplement their natural saliva, as for the foam its non toxic and safe for consumption obviously. 

And thats just 2 headcanons I'd love to hear about anymore from any if you reading, I'd love to discuss small headcanons about hippogriff society 

• Brohoof 2

I really really like your idea of permanence with the horse shoes. I don't often hear something so simple yet unique as that, and totally works with the world that's been established.

I could see this mentality also serving as an issue in a coming of age story where a character is gifted a set of metal shoes but feels trapped by them.

I can also see an extreme branch coming from this, like what's been envisioned for some parts of Pegasus society, where they hardly or never even leave their homes in the clouds 

Given that it requires an enchanted piece or wholly individual pearl to turn from a Hippogriff into a seapony, I wonder if it works two ways, or if there's the potential for someone to be born a seapony that can't change?

I wondered if Hippogriffs lived on Mt. Aris as a form of banishment at one point because of the animosity ponies and griffins held for each other before the magic if friendship. The original myths had them being the result of a mare and griffin having mated, which has major taboo potential, if they even can breed from the MLP perspective. I thought it had the potential though in the modern Era to bridge the gap between the two species purely through a diplomatic approach.

First of all thanks for loving my headcanons so much i always thought i was weird for thinking about everything. 

As for your theory about some griffs/seaponies not being able to transform it is a viable theory, there could always be people who just don't agree with the magic physically and it could make them very sick, or even mentally, i remember reading somewhere a theory that hippogriffs have a form of body dysmorphia, which is why they hold glad to be a hippogriff days every weekend. 

• 1 month later...

I got this of mine: Mount Aeris were first discovered by stray Pegasi and griffins. However, they didn’t get along due to past bad blood. The griffons discovered the pearl, and held the upper hand in dominating the settlement, declaring this is griffon territory, and Pegasi who get put of line, will get transformed into griffins.

At one point, a Pegasus and a griffin were having a secret romantic relationship. They’ve eventually gave birth to, to their surprise, something that wasn’t either of their species, but some sort of hybrid. They get discovered, and after so much uproar, but the griffin owner of the pearl, realizes Mt Aeris will never be prosperous with constant infighting among species, decides to use the pearl. Looking at the hybrid, decided Mt Aeris will be neither pegasus nor griffin realm, but instead, the same hybrid species as the child conceived by the secret romance. 

now, renamed hippogriffs, they began making up for loss time in developing their community, later know for their magestic image and culture