Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Favorite piece of classical music?

Octavia Heartstrings

If you listen to classical music, which piece is your favorite?

Personally, my favorite has always been "In the Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Grieg. Undoubtedly one of the most iconic classical pieces of all time, and for good reason. I love how it starts out quiet, gradually gets more and more intense, and then goes insane at the end... so foreboding and so badass! :ithastolookpretty:

• Brohoof 4

That's tough. Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, I used to listen to regularly. Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is fantastic too, that might be my favorite, but I also really love Ode to Joy. 

Edited by CloudMistDragon
Slight typo.
  • Brohoof 4

" Cello Suite No. 1" by Johann Sebastian Bach

is my favorite piece of classical music.

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll agree with the user above who said Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, which surely has to be one of the best pieces of music ever written objectively, and is probably my personal favourite. This is my personal favourite performance of it, as it is actually in Baroque tuning which is roughly a semitone lower and I think that makes it sound even better.

Other honourable mentions go out to Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony (also honourable honourable mention to his 5th symphony purely for the french horn solo section in the 2nd movement), Chopin's Etude 10 Op 3 and Fantaisie Impromptu No.4, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and of course the fantastic Franz Liszt's La Campanella. Oh, and anything by Paganini because Paganini.

Edited by daviddaviddavid
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

While the Rite of Spring is my favorite piece of classical music in general, Mahler's 8th is actually my favorite symphony.

Along with this I generally tend to prefer any symphony that includes keyboard instruments; specifically the organ and/or piano. For me they just add so much when included within a symphonic texture. These Organ/Orchestra symphonies by Guilmant and Widor (respectively) are amongst my favorites here.

I shared this one in another thread, but I want to highlight Ives' Symphony #4 for it's extensive keyboard section; which includes a solo piano, an orchestral (4-handed) piano, a quarter-tone piano, an organ, celesta, and some sort of theremin-ish instrument.

I love Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor. It reminds me a huge thunderstorm passing by. You can definately tell that it's at its most powerful at the climax and the buildup is oh so glorious, getting to that high end and coming down, repeating the intro notes on triple forte or forte-fortissimo, most people call it fortississimo. I've played this piece myself and it was so much fun. My old #1 used to be Chopin's Valse Op 64 no2. 

• 3 weeks later...