Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the Purpose of Destructive Criticism?

Photon Jet

Hello all.

There's something that's been on my recently and that's the destructive criticism we see more than constructive criticism. Destructive criticism comes in the form of angry comments, rants on YouTube from reviewers and worse, bullying. It's a method that attacks people and companies who make projects (such as video games and movie) with shame, threats and hate which demotivates them to continue doing what they love. It's a rash act that gives a backlash to many. Plus, it drains a lot of energy from you if you just burst out with rage like a flame cannon.

Personally, I firmly believe the best way to give improvements to project developers is to give constructive criticism. It's a more friendly approach that gives out better results if done correctly. That way, companies can succeed even more with this type of feedback obtained from reviewers. This goes to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Equestria Girls too.

So what really is the purpose of destructive criticism and what do those that do it hope to gain? I know some users on YouTube like The Angry Video Game Nerd and The Nostalgia Critic do it for show but what other reason is there? Is it because they want to emerge as victors just so show everyone they are on the right and they are on the wrong? Is it because of some childhood experience? Please let me know as I like to gain knowledge from this.

For me, there's a different between giving critics and rant (or in other word, being a d-bag.) How I always see it when it come to giving critics and receiving it, it's not to shame you but instead, help you improve for the better. Although I know there's some people with serious anxiety problem may not able to take critics very well as most people can, But that's why adding "encouragement" helps a lot to many people, even with anxiety problem.  Critics also means, not sugar coating the person either. You should always be honest at the least and at the same, be respectful and not downgrading a person. 

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Photon Jet said:

Is it because they want to emerge as victors just so show everyone they are on the right and they are on the wrong?

I tried trolling once. I didn't come out as winning in any sense of the word. In fact, it didn't really matter in the end. Spreading anger around because you feel angry, can help you to vent in some sense, so maybe that's why there are so many destructive comments.

What do you do when you get news from some large company like YouTube saying "We will remove DISLIKE count, you will get used to it", or Nintendo saying "We will sell you network services that are bad, for a lot of money, because we know you will go for it"?
Well, you will jump to that comments section and start stating the obvious, and give criticism. Does it matter in the end? It didn't seem like it made any difference what-so-ever. Eventually, it will turn into destructive criticism since no one is listening to the obvious problems.

Attacking individual people and bullying is wrong. Just had to say it, since my examples above were large companies or people with a lot of power that can only be reached with a lot of people (customers of theirs) using some kind of criticism.

• Brohoof 2

It's name says it all, to destroy something. That something is likely the reputation of the one being criticized, or perhaps something else that in some way or another damages the one being criticized.

• Brohoof 2

Sometimes I feel like the only reason someone feels the need to have a go at someone else is because they themselves feel vulnerable, jealous or offended about something someone either says or does. Or maybe they're completely unrelated and just look like an easy target. Much of the time destructive criticism can feel like it came completely out of nowhere from someone you've never met and if that's the case, I just ignore it entirely. The person making the comments got their angry little shot in, trying to talk it out with them won't do either of you any good because they're just looking for someone to feel superior to. Maybe not all of it is like that, but for those doing it to feel like they have some power, authority or whatever it may be over someone else. It's honestly quite sad. But whether it is or isn't, if you can just ignore it then you should. No good will ever come of engaging with them. They can have their hollow little victory for what good it'll do them.

That being said, I do think there's a difference when it's someone you know or are close to and they've just unloaded everything on you they've let build up over a long time. They're still in the wrong, but that's not something you should ignore and is a good idea to know how to deescalate and compromise. Like for example, if a friend had been making me feel self-conscious and inadequate for a long time and never noticed but I also never said anything to her, there is about a 1,000,000% chance that's going to end in some kind of blow-up if I don't just walk away from that friend without saying anything. There's some responsibility on both ends to understand and communicate, but if the other person fails to understand or pay attention you can't just let it get to you, that's how those sorts of things happen in the first place. And it can hurt a lot more when it's coming from someone you saw as a friend.

I suppose to answer your question in a more contracted way, it's most likely because someone is hurt or feels small or unheard or ignored and they feel the only way they can defend themselves from what they perceive to be a cruel world is to be cruel in turn. Or they're just outright evil and there is no purpose to it, but I don't think that's as common. People are too complicated for catch-all one-word labels like that.

Edited by Sunset Rose
  • Brohoof 2