Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I finally figured out what the ham in Applejack’s sandwich is

Kaitlynne

I think it’s dyed tofu. We see that the ponies have their equivalent of East Asian culture with Mistmane, so it’s not a stretch to assume that they have tofu. I found some pictures from the internet of people cooking tofu in the juice from pickled beets and it looks a lot like the ham in AJ’s sandwich. What do you think?

A32F3EEB-C402-4092-B4CB-362FDB977965.jpeg

F04B27F3-E4EA-4869-A147-72C965DB5D6D.jpeg

82C6BE93-502D-42C7-93C9-4DD4875D642A.png

DF52316D-4437-41E1-8256-B668760390FB.jpeg

Edited by Kaitlynne
  • Brohoof 6

9 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Now we have to figure out how to justify the shrimps Rarity manifested while under Inspiration Manifestation’s spell :mlp_icwudt:

Rarity has weird tastes for a pony: according to the official sources, she likes seafood:

5.thumb.png.81141fbd0c8182af7d76beb2a3e27c53.png

Edited by Oleks
  • Brohoof 2

52 minutes ago, Splashee said:

It looks a lot like ham :ButtercupLaugh:

I never knew this, but doesn't Applejack have pigs at her farm? In such case, they are used for food. :wacko:

Faust stated that they are for truffles and because they needed a home. Also Pinkie Pie says in a song that all ponies are completely vegetarian.

Edited by Kaitlynne
  • Brohoof 4

57 minutes ago, Oleks said:

Rarity has weird tastes for a pony: according to the official sources, she likes seafood:

5.thumb.png.81141fbd0c8182af7d76beb2a3e27c53.png

You can get vegan caviar in this universe so maybe it means that. 

• Brohoof 3

38 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

But given they have cakes and stuff presumably eggs are fine - so fish eggs should be fine?

Usually, in this universe at least, you have to kill a fish to get its eggs. However there are newer techniques that allow it to be extracted without killing the fish so maybe the ponies do it that way.

• Brohoof 1

49 minutes ago, Kaitlynne said:

Usually, in this universe at least, you have to kill a fish to get its eggs. However there are newer techniques that allow it to be extracted without killing the fish so maybe the ponies do it that way.

Maybe, but we know that Fluttershy has no problems feeding fish to her animals, so they aren't apparently too bothered by killing fish...

10 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Maybe, but we know that Fluttershy has no problems feeding fish to her animals, so they aren't apparently too bothered by killing fish...

Just because the ponies are vegetarian doesn’t mean the animals have to be. If they were forced to change their diet like that, it would be pretty harmful to their health. That would be worse for Fluttershy to see than seeing fish get eaten.

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Interesting. What episode was that in?

• Brohoof 1

Moments ago, ExplosionMare said:

Just because the ponies are vegetarian doesn’t mean the animals have to be. If they were forced to change their diet like that, it would be pretty harmful to their health. That would be worse for Fluttershy to see than seeing fish get eaten.

True. Plus Winona and Opalescence need dog and cat food. Maybe ponies aren’t vegetarian for ethical reasons but because they physically can’t digest meat.

• Brohoof 1

5 minutes ago, ExplosionMare said:

Depends on if the fish are sentient I guess. The "surf and turf" episode implies pretty strongly at least some are.

• Brohoof 1

53 minutes ago, Kaitlynne said:

True. Plus Winona and Opalescence need dog and cat food. Maybe ponies aren’t vegetarian for ethical reasons but because they physically can’t digest meat.

Now that I think about it, horses don’t eat meat so maybe the FiM pony diet is meant to be somewhat based on a horse’s diet.

• Brohoof 2

New thought, when I make rose petal apple pies, sometimes the softening process of microwaving the slices in water will dye them reddish pink. I doubt that's what it'd be but it came to mind.

Spoiler

image.png.1e0205c06487e85ed4164ce40d48194f.png

Not my image but this is what they be.

3 hours ago, Splashee said:

It looks a lot like ham :ButtercupLaugh:

I never knew this, but doesn't Applejack have pigs at her farm? In such case, they are used for food. :wacko:

While looking up information for my response to a recent topic about what we'd do the day after having been transported to Equestria, I found out that during the 17th and 18th century, pigs were heavily used for waste disposal. Trash would be collected from bins set out into wagons, and organics would be fed to the pigs, while their manure would be used in the fields or sold off. Many were still used for consumption, but there's enough wiggle room for their presence in mlp.

• Brohoof 1