Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S01:E20 - One Trick Pony

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: One Trick Pony
Release Date: July 28, 2022
Written By: Alex Collier
Synopsis: Izzy tries to help "The Great Hoofdini" find his calling.

• Brohoof 1

Another wonderful episode of TYT! Wasn’t as exciting as other episodes but it was still great that they focused on another background pony and how traditional “magic” isn’t as interesting as real magic.

• Brohoof 3

I wasn't really expecting much with this one and Rufus isn't as memorable as Dahlia was, BUT at the same time it does give the earth pony magic more utility than I had originally considered. Not only do they grow things, but the things grown can be manipulated for a variety of uses! There's a LOT of potential with that!

As for the episode itself, it was actually pretty good! Izzy was toned back and actually quite charming here, and Rufus was...well, Rufus. XD Good to see Pipp again of course!

And special mention to the music here! I can't put my finger on it, but it just felt so alive!

• Brohoof 3

I liked it!

Rufus is a cute background character, I think.

Though there's some discussion going on on derpibooru: Who is the "Onyx" in the credits? There's an "Onyx" and there's a just "Unicorn."

Gloomy Sonnet spoke in this, is Onyx her real name? It would fit with the mineral name theme seen with Jasper the unicorn.

Yes, they finally went to Bridlewood Forest, easily my favorite part of the episode! Gloomy Sonnet talking for the first time also gave me my favorite joke of the episode! :eager:

This one's not as good as the first "help the background pony find their place" episode, Neighfever, but there's definitely some stuff here to remember it for. Only thing I'm not going to enjoy remembering from it is it having Pipp but not Zipp. Great to see the show take a break from being "The Royal Sisters Show", but Pipp without Zipp is like Beavis without Butt-head. :nom: 

We learned an important lesson regarding Izzy in this episode... Never allow her to take care of any plants, period. We also learn that traditional magic tricks have become completely overshadowed by proper Equestrian magic. Depending on who you asked, this could be determined in so many different ways.

29 minutes ago, ProjectRKA said:

Is Tell Your Tale the main g5 show, or is that Make Your Mark ?

Though this is a thread for discussion about a Tell Your Tale episode, not questions about Make Your Mark or differences between the two series, I can easily answer the question by saying that Make Your Mark is the main show that will officially premiere in September. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Toastypk said:

Gloomy Sonnet spoke in this, is Onyx her real name? It would fit with the mineral name theme seen with Jasper the unicorn.

I personal think that Onyx is the official name for Gloomy Sonnet because the house moving unicorn sounded similar like Posey who has the same voice actress when I am correct. Some people believe that the unicorn filly is Onyx, but she had no spoken line. 

I'd say this episode was good---not "great", but good:  it once again focused on the consequences of magic returning, and what that does to a society---and to individuals in it.

I'm glad Izzy turned out to be something other than a sociopath with zero respect for others' property, but I'm a little unhappy that her characterization isn't consistent:  when Rufus made some jewelry disappear, Izzy reacted as if that was a bad thing, but a few episodes ago, she was trying to steal earrings right off a mare's ears!  ...Of course, if this is a sign of character development for Izzy, that's a different matter.

Overall, I'd say the plot was well-paced and had a decent payoff.  The episode didn't have any big flaws to it, though it isn't as memorable as some other episodes.

• Brohoof 2

While the premise for this episode is very similar to that of Neigh Fever's, at least this time around the pacing is better. One thing that seems strange about the situation is that ponies in G4 were still fascinated by stage magic, whereas here nobody cares. Another thing is that Earth Pony Magic still doesn't make much sense. First it was giant flowers, and now it is vines that can carry ponies through the air. I like the idea of Earth Pony magic being more fleshed out in G5, but so far it still raises many questions. Seeing more background ponies getting roles is a nice addition though. Not only did Rufus get a lot of screen time, but also other background ponies from each of the three cities. I wonder if the three fillies are going to be this generation's version of the CMC (except nowhere near as good thanks to their obsession with social media). While this doesn't mean much due to it still being a part of TYT, this is probably one of the better episodes in the series. 

• Brohoof 1

15 hours ago, RDDash said:

Trixie 2.0 is out of the job because everyone has real magic, and nobody wants to go to see the magic shows anymore

I dunno; Rufus wasn't a jerk who puts others down like Trixie was; he didn't crave worship or dominance over others like Trixie did, but a legitimate place in this new world full of magic.  He didn't seem like Trixie at all to me.

• Brohoof 3

12 minutes ago, HereComesTom said:

I dunno; Rufus wasn't a jerk who puts others down like Trixie was; he didn't crave worship or dominance over others like Trixie did, but a legitimate place in this new world full of magic.  He didn't seem like Trixie at all to me.

I meant they are both magicians :please:

• Brohoof 1

I quite liked this episode. I think having Izzy going around helping others find their purpose more often would be a great idea, since she's pretty good at achieving that without making anypony feel worthless about what they used to do.

It is quite sad though to see how obsolete other forms of "magic" have gotten. It reminds me of modern society, where so many trends and technologies are popping out that many things people are used to are just fading away.

• Brohoof 3

13 hours ago, Rosy Moonlight said:

The modern technology aspect still turns me off. I like how the 3 fillies in the episode have bows on their tails.

They looked like G1s based on their colors, that might explain the tail bows. Like Posey, I think they were inspired by G1 (only this time it's from the toys, cause I don't remember their designs appearing in the 80s cartoon).

• Brohoof 1

This one's fine, much like the Dahlia episode.  Exploring the implications of magic through the eyes of everyday background ponies works for the time being, but I can see it getting old really quickly, especially since there's no reason to care about background ponies unless they get an episode starring them.  Besides, in the case of this episode, stage magic can work.  Trixie made it work in a world that just has real magic.  With all that said, I was reasonably amused for five minutes, if in a surface-level capacity, so I suppose the episode did its job.  

• Brohoof 3

Pretty much all these episodes are light and fluffy entertainment. There's not a lot to sink my teeth into, but I enjoy them for being cute and fun. They remind me of the large amount of EQG shorts (though I will admit I liked those more, mostly due to already being very attached to those characters). As for this one in particular, I feel bad for ole Hoofdini. I agree it was very similar to the Dahlia episode, but I liked this one a little more (though I think I like Dahlia's character potential more). I'd also like to point out that while Trixie was a magician too, she did use actual magic, so they are somewhat different. Poor Rufus can only wish he was as great and powerful as Trixie!

• Brohoof 3

I'm not the only one that thinks that this episode is similar to Neighfever, right? It feels like another one of those 'help a background pony find their place with magic'. I think that the problem is that with such a short episode format, there isn't that much they can do to differentiate one from the other. Also, I found the ending less satisfying than last time.

Edited by Skylight Scintillate
  • Brohoof 1

On 2022-07-31 at 9:14 PM, Skylight Scintillate said:

I'm not the only one that thinks that this episode is similar to Neighfever, right? It feels like another one of those 'help a background pony find their place with magic'. I think that the problem is that with such a short episode format, there isn't that much they can do to differentiate one from the other.

You're right; it was a lot like Neighfever.  I sure hope they don't overdo this format, though if they find a way to keep it fresh, maybe this kind of episode isn't a bad thing.

• Brohoof 1

The modern technology turns me off a lot but Rufus is probably a descendant of Trixie for sure, I hope we see him again. He has a lot of potential and relatability. With all of the technology, it feels like the soul is sort of missing.

• Brohoof 1