Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which episodes do you believe aren't Canon?

Gaines

Any episodes involving the Student 6, the Grogar is discord Twist, Episodes involving Thorax and Reformed Changelings, and the final. Mostly because I just do not like any of them for the reason that I believe they went against the show's original message and intentions. The Student 6 and the School of Friendship is something I found to be a terrible concept, both on paper and in execution - the idea of the Mane 6 being teachers doesn't make any sense, the characters themselves were boring, and the show's quality felt extremely lacking in the episodes that involved them.

Thorax and the Reformed Changelings is something I didn't like. Friendship is something that you can't apply to everyone. My conception of the Changelings in the show were that they were the way they are because of biology, and having an easy "fix" for it like the show did just takes away from any agency the Changelings had. Thorax personally annoyed me with his personality and voice, I rank him the worst of the characters of the show for that.

Discord being Grogar is self explanatory. Give us the actual Grogar and make it interesting - but no, they just decided to pull a cheap trick. 

• Brohoof 2

At this point everything that is school of friendship is not canon for me. I guess Princess Celestia and Luna retiring and doing god knows what when Twilight screwing over the Equestria into the next dystopia. Tall Twilight just doesn't exist

• Brohoof 3

7 minutes ago, RDDash said:

At this point everything that is school of friendship is not canon for me. I guess Princess Celestia and Luna retiring and doing god knows what when Twilight screwing over the Equestria into the next dystopia. Tall Twilight just doesn't exist

I definitely agree. Tall Twilight and Celestia and Luna retiring is something I will not accept as canon.

• Brohoof 2

Secret to My Excess literally can't be, spikes aging process I mean it isn't like he hasnt owned some gems and other things from time to time without scaling his size, I absolutely hate that trash episode it's Lauren Faust's worst work of all time ... 

The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows/ The Crystaling, I just feel like Flurry Heart is unnecessary lol, she was literally just "free plot material bingo" very lazy crappy introduction to season 6 that could have been used on a g.1 villain throw back, shit I would have rather seen the bumble and the bees come back than this CRAP and for what? We see NOTHING come of Flurry Heart not even a reference to her in the finale .. 

I am just going to pretend in my head that Newbie Dash, Trade Ya, and 28 Pranks Later never happened bc they are trash episodes that portray Dash in the worst possible manner, this doesn't effect the Canon but yeah none of that happened to me 

Every Little thing that she Does also 

Bronies : "waaaah waaah waaah *sniffles* Starlight is a "writers pet" Mary sue that gets all the attention 

Also bronies : look at how they wrote Starlight?! This writing sucks look she hasn't learned anything 

who TF do you want her to be???  They'd probably say not in the show but with these responses Id have to rip other villains to shreds like Luna and Discord and even still have strong critiques in  my beloved Sunset...  

Now I love Shadow Play 1&2 but this here I have to protest, Celestia claimed that what made Twilight special and set her aside from Starswirl was his inability to "make friends" bullshit, he's got a literal team of heroes that originally held the elements of harmony? Is Celestia like dumb or some crap? Or did she just selectively forget that Starswirl was friends with Equestrian greatest heros? She got one thing right though Starswirl certainly didn't know how to "keep a friend" and I just feel like if the threat of Stygian becoming the pony of shadows was so prominent that is caused them to literally seal themselves away magically everypony in Equestria would have at least had an Inkling as to what happened to Starswirl and when and why... I know there is "some," ambiguity to be left there and you could have head canoned this but it makes no sense that his top student Celestia the one that some allege got her alicorn powers from Starswirl himself, wouldn't know anything about any of his friends, them being the elements or why they disappeared trying to thwart the pony of shadows.... 

I love the student 6, specifically, Ocellus, Smolder & Gallus, but it is true that the Mane 6 all have their own responsibilities and lives outside that school and it doesn't make sense that they would have time for that, although you know they are always so modest about being Twis best friends but in reality any duty you are asked to take on by the literal Princess of Friendship, the star pupil of the ruler of Equestria itself, places heavily over these responsibilities, we know that the Wonderbolts don't do dick, Pinkie has a job that could be flexible around a school schedule and potentially Fluttershy, but if we want to be cynical about them not having time for their careers all of a sudden I mean they have been pretty side tracked through out this entire series, and like going on these adventures having these experiences with as many animals Fluttershy has to tend to... I don't know if Applejack is busy year round bc it seems the Apple families jobs are different in the seasonal variants, so it just depends when this is all taking place... 

And obviously ANYTYING involving Discord being Grogar, that was the worst thing that could have possibly happened in Season 9 and for some reason the writers were like to the Discord haters, "thought you hated Discord, hold on just a sec :Daydreaming:"

Ugh hated it... 

Edited by Spook Conundrum
  • Brohoof 3

None. I'm mostly content with the show's canon and respect what the crew did, even as I wouldn't have done things the same. I'm not going to pretend The Beginning of the End is non-canon just because I don't like the Mane 6 "killing" Sombra. If G5 does something to overwrite that, cool. However, that's not for me to decide. 

• Brohoof 1

I refuse to accept Newbie Dash was a thing people at Hasbro/DHX actually sat down and said “yep, this is good enough”. As far as I’m concerned RD became a WB offscreen, which would explain why she didn’t ever tell her parents about it(Though the idea she didn’t tell her parents because ND itself was awful works too)

• Brohoof 4

I 100% REFUSE to believe "The Last Problem" is canon! :nom:

The episode felt like a fan fiction story to me because of the whole flashback plot device. 

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 3

None of them.  While there are certainly are episodes that I don't particularly like very much, and out of those some of which I wish didn't happen there aren't episodes that I flat out believe aren't canon.

• Brohoof 1

None of them. All of the episodes, TV specials, and movie happened in the canon, even the worst ones. Refusing to acknowledge them as canon doesn’t make the events go away.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have my own personal canon, but I leave it up to the developers to say what is canon and what isn't. Whatever is officially released is canon, whether a developer denies it or not.

On 2022-11-01 at 10:26 PM, Gaines said:

(Other than episodes that are confirmed to not be canon)

What episodes are you referring to? I might have overlooked something, but I thought that every episode is canon. Like, there may be some things in those episodes that aren't exactly canon, but not an entire episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

All episodes of the show are canon. Not that I necessarily like all the episodes.

Somewhat beyond the scope of this thread, despite what one of the writers of the show stated on Twitter, I do not consider the MLP comics to be canon (with the exception of the MLP movie prequel comics): it is a one-way relation in which the comics reference events from the show, but the show does not reference anything from the comics (from what I remember).

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias

On 2022-11-01 at 10:26 PM, Gaines said:

Other than episodes that are confirmed to not be canon

I was not aware that any MLP ep was confirmed as non canon. What was it if i may ask?

I personally consider every ep of Friendship is magic canon. None of it really contradicts itself so I don't think it a hard position to have. 

I think saying that aspects you don't like are not canon is a bad way to look at it. 

12 minutes ago, FlitterFlutter said:

I was not aware that any MLP ep was confirmed as non canon. What was it if i may ask?

I would like to know as well?

• Brohoof 1