Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Nickelodeon scraps Phoebe and Her Unicorn cartoon.

CastletonSnob

29 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

We are getting off topic, let’s leave this on Debate Pit

Yes, please goodness, let's not turn this into a discussion about sexual content in kids shows. I know, I'm not one to talk after bringing up Nick showcasing a drag queen, but still, it's a kids show. We should not be fighting like this over flipping kids shows.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, you all with the backseat moderation. 

Well, depending on how it’s approached, there can be some social talk posted here. In general we don’t allow transphobic and sexist commentary anyway since that’s against the Global Rules. So if you think transphobia was a reason it was cancelled just say so, just be careful how far you take that. 

The idea that things are reviewed and cancelled when executives are replaced is common, and yes using gender in business decisions is still occurring (I’ve had clients tell me to not use certain colors in a design because they are too feminine and most of the people reviewing it are older and old school). I just grin and nod because at the end of the day I get paid very well in my company at my level.

Demographic review is almost certainly still done with entertainment. Just pop in to CinemaCon one day (Used to be called ShoWest)! Plus the parent company is killing all sorts of plans. Looks like this show is just one of the latest to get pulled. 

I met Dana earlier this year and we talked for a while and she appears to be a solid pragmatic individual with a level head. I was actually going to ask her to do an AMA here, still might. So unless her credibility can be called into question directly, I have no issues taking her word for it. 

I wonder when the rights option is finished. Could be a good show on another platform. 

• Brohoof 1

I dont think it's about korra being gay....? Its the amount of people kissing?....

Sure the last airbender had a kiss... But i could only remember ang and katara at the very ending.

But then again korra was at a time when additional genders is considered heavily silly.

Oh wait sokka..... That fac boi too.... So i guess it's not about the kissing.

I personally think it's the fanbase that killed it.

Back to topic.

I think the reason why this got cancelled is because of my little pony.

Think about it.

Hasbro be lurking and readying its copyrights.

1 hour ago, Jeric said:

Backseat moderation? What is the harm in making a slight nudge discouraging a thread like this from being derailed into talking about sexual content in kids shows? I know I don't decide what kind of conversation gets allowed. But a nudge like that is the kind of thing to be expected in a conversation that starts off as a news topic for a kids show and starts leading into less-than-comfortable territory. It's not the kind of thing everyone can agree is appropriate. 

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

I’ve only wrote what I wrote because that conversation was clearly getting off topic, and I wanted to save myself a possible reprimand for it by stating I won’t participate in it any further

2 hours ago, Jeric said:

Well, depending on how it’s approached, there can be some social talk posted here. In general we don’t allow transphobic and sexist commentary anyway since that’s against the Global Rules. So if you think transphobia was a reason it was cancelled just say so, just be careful how far you take that. 

The idea that things are reviewed and cancelled when executives are replaced is common, and yes using gender in business decisions is still occurring (I’ve had clients tell me to not use certain colors in a design because they are too feminine and most of the people reviewing it are older and old school). I just grin and nod because at the end of the day I get paid very well in my company at my level.

Demographic review is almost certainly still done with entertainment. Just pop in to CinemaCon one day (Used to be called ShoWest)! Plus the parent company is killing all sorts of plans. Looks like this show is just one of the latest to get pulled. 

I met Dana earlier this year and we talked for a while and she appears to be a solid pragmatic individual with a level head. I was actually going to ask her to do an AMA here, still might. So unless her credibility can be called into question directly, I have no issues taking her word for it. 

I wonder when the rights option is finished. Could be a good show on another platform. 

While it’s not impossible that was the real reason the show was not accepted, I also have my reasons to be skeptical. Heck, the author may not have even said that was the reason, but rather the media narrative. Wouldn’t be the first time this latter happened.

(edited)

Nickelodeon is SO incompetent it's ridiculous.

I've heard some people suggesting that the show got scrapped because of the author's previous work, which was inappropriate, but I don't buy that. The guy who created The Loud House previously made a comic about a cat boy lusting over his mother, and the guy who created Invader Zim previously made a comic titled Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. There's no way Nickelodeon DIDN'T know about said creators' respective previous work, as I would imagine Nickelodeon does pretty thorough checks into that sort of thing before deciding whether or not to hire cartoonists.

Edited by CastletonSnob

8 hours ago, CastletonSnob said:

Nickelodeon is SO incompetent it's ridiculous.

I've heard some people suggesting that the show got scrapped because of the author's previous work, which was inappropriate, but I don't buy that. The guy who created The Loud House previously made a comic about a cat boy lusting over his mother, and the guy who created Invader Zim previously made a comic titled Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. There's no way Nickelodeon DIDN'T know about said creators' respective previous work, as I would imagine Nickelodeon does pretty thorough checks into that sort of thing before deciding whether or not to hire cartoonists.

Maybe thats why theyre  doubling it down now.

19 hours ago, Kujamih said:

Remember bayonetta 3 VA drama? She apparently lied and was greedy.

That's an entirely different situation. The thing with Helena Taylor was ultimately a pay dispute, and the thing that made me skeptical is that a lot of things in her original videos that did not add up at all and made me question her motives(like the worth of Bayonetta franchise, the personal attacks aimed at Hale and Hideki Kamiya as well as the entire studio for decisions only higher ups would make)

This is an entirely different scenario with creative that lines up with decisions Nick has a long history of doing

Edited by Megas

22 hours ago, Megas said:

That's an entirely different situation. The thing with Helena Taylor was ultimately a pay dispute, and the thing that made me skeptical is that a lot of things in her original videos that did not add up at all and made me question her motives(like the worth of Bayonetta franchise, the personal attacks aimed at Hale and Hideki Kamiya as well as the entire studio for decisions only higher ups would make)

This is an entirely different scenario with creative that lines up with decisions Nick has a long history of doing

What im pointing out is that she can lie too....

Well, in all elements where truth and proof are elusive, the rule of parsimony tends to be the best, and smartest, approach to eliminate less plausible scenarios.

With both Viacom and WB both in market capitalization and asset valuation decline, you almost always expect turnover to shake things up, and have to be financially justified. Demographic analysis is still a method that is used religiously by executives put in place to stop a hemorrhage. If Phoebe had data to show it would be a likely net gain, it would not have been dropped, regardless of her prior work. Corporate fiduciary liability. 

Right now there is only one major media empire that can take risks because when one segment loses billions the others make that up and then some. It isn’t Viacom and it isn’t WB. Dana Simpson was most likely just a victim of generic demographic research and data. 

I mentioned this in the Hasbro thread when Hasbro decided to get out of the movie making business and people got upset like it’s a betrayal. They really need to touch on Corporate Fiduciary Law in High School economics. 

On 2023-01-02 at 7:59 PM, Jeric said:

Well, in all elements where truth and proof are elusive, the rule of parsimony tends to be the best, and smartest, approach to eliminate less plausible scenarios.

With both Viacom and WB both in market capitalization and asset valuation decline, you almost always expect turnover to shake things up, and have to be financially justified. Demographic analysis is still a method that is used religiously by executives put in place to stop a hemorrhage. If Phoebe had data to show it would be a likely net gain, it would not have been dropped, regardless of her prior work. Corporate fiduciary liability. 

Right now there is only one major media empire that can take risks because when one segment loses billions the others make that up and then some. It isn’t Viacom and it isn’t WB. Dana Simpson was most likely just a victim of generic demographic research and data. 

I mentioned this in the Hasbro thread when Hasbro decided to get out of the movie making business and people got upset like it’s a betrayal. They really need to touch on Corporate Fiduciary Law in High School economics. 

Also, some people are not going to like me pointing this out, but I did notice something fallacious about this line of reasoning used by the creator. 

"They're wrong about a girl-centered show needing to cater to boys to be successful because of stuff like Powerpuff Girls and MLP!" 

...We're not just going to pretend that Powerpuff Girls wasn't chock full of violence and crude, gross humor and that a big selling point of MLP: FiM was that it was giving the finger to the "ponies need to be cute, girly mushiness" status quo, right? A huge point of criticism made against the failed PPG reboot was that it was trying too hard to tone down the lovably lowbrow nature of the original and even as MLP G5 has added a dude to its main cast and doubled down on gross humor, a popular (bunk) criticism made against it is that it's "taking MLP back to girly mushiness". 

Will dudes watch "girly" shows? Yes, they absolutely will. However, you can't convince me that most dudes watch shows like this not wanting something that pleases their dude minds.