S01:E46 - Sparky's Sick

Ashen Pathfinder

Title: Sparky's Sick
Release Date: February 23, 2023
Written By: Jessica Silcock and Naomi Smith
Synopsis: N/A

NOTE: Compilation following episode.

• Brohoof 2

This is one of those shorts where everyone has a different idea on how best to help Sparky only to see their ideas blow up in their faces. The trope has been done to death so many times now to the point where it's lost all meaning, but I still appreciate it all the same. Why ruin such a good tradition as that?

• Brohoof 1

Again, not one of the better episodes with Misty and Opaline. This time, it's unsurprising with Misty and Opaline hardly being in it, their brief inclusion only paying off with...a fart joke. Toilet jokes don't really bother me, but...really? That was their only reason for being in the episode? Rest of the episode follows a very standard formula, nothing I disliked, but nothing I wanted to write home about. I did laugh though at Pipp just rolling with her having a lollipop put in her hair, that's something I can imagine a person like her in real life doing.   

• Brohoof 2

I'm personally not a fan of toilet humor and fart jokes, but the episode was alright. It was fun seeing everypony running around.

Edited by StarlightNyars

I wasn't a fan of the ending, but I'm not going to complain about fart jokes. Fart jokes have been around for THOUSANDS of years. The oldest known joke comes from ancient Sumeria, and is a fart joke.

“Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-joke-odd/worlds-oldest-joke-traced-back-to-1900-bc-idUSKUA14785120080731

Ah, nothing like the terror of not knowing what's making your kid scream, so you try everything and it turns out they just needed a system flush

And yes, it can come from either end

Being a parent is not glamorous

Heck, ask any earth pony, given some of them change diapers with their teeth...

A decently fun episode about parenting and not being able to easily communicate with young ones.  It was fun to watch the Mane Five, especially Pipp, and their respective attempts to help that match their personalities. 

Sadly, was not a fan of the ending.  Fair enough credit to the other 4/5th of the episode.

1 hour ago, Twilight Luna said:

Fart jokes are probably the lowest form of comedy. I'm glad that G4 never went down this route. 

No. Think again, G4 did beat G5 to the punch with Echo farting in Pony Life. And while that's not Friendship is Magic, FiM beat G5 to the punch on gross-out humor with Spike's dirty feet, Rainbow's revolting pie, and a pirate grabbing his butt. What happened in this episode was arguably over-the-top, but in no way is it something new. 

Eh...an episode centered around Sparky, with the whole everypony trying something trope, and culminating in yet another Misty/Opaline moment that doesn't actually move the plot forward in any way and ends with a fart joke is...I guess par for the course with this series.

Yeah, this episode is NOT good at all. All of the jokes at Sparky's expense are quarter-dimensional, lack any creativity, and reduce him to one note.

The entire story revolved around poorly written jokes to set up Sparky farting in the climax. And every joke was low-hanging fruit. No effort whatsoever.

Next!

• Brohoof 2

8 hours ago, Twilight Luna said:

Fart jokes are probably the lowest form of comedy. I'm glad that G4 never went down this route. 

Oh no…. That is not funny and lowers my expectations for this show dramatically 

2 hours ago, The Nth Doctor said:

24039.gif

large.png

I was about to mention this, thank you. Yeah G4 has done this before, I'm personally not a fan of this type of humor, but there's all kinds of humor for everyone.

55 minutes ago, StarlightNyars said:

I was about to mention this, thank you. Yeah G4 has done this before, I'm personally not a fan of this type of humor, but there's all kinds of humor for everyone.

Fart jokes are way worse (as in being immature, and not funny in any way other than for toddlers). MLP has never done it before.

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Fart jokes are way worse (as in being immature, and not funny in any way other than for toddlers). MLP has never done it before.

Yeah I personally don't like any fart/toilet humor jokes. Considering the intended audience is ages 4-6, it makes sense why they do this, I guess?

Also G4 had a whoopee cushion prank by Rainbow Dash(timestamped):

Edited by StarlightNyars
clarity

4 hours ago, Splashee said:

15 hours ago, CloudMistDragon said:

No. Think again, G4 did beat G5 to the punch with Echo farting in Pony Life. And while that's not Friendship is Magic, FiM beat G5 to the punch on gross-out humor with Spike's dirty feet, Rainbow's revolting pie, and a pirate grabbing his butt. What happened in this episode was arguably over-the-top, but in no way is it something new. 

...Okay, I'll bring the receipts...

2593089.gif

I kind of liked this one.  Some part of me thinks the toilet jokes are overdone, but then I realized there was exactly one---and it's the one that ended the episode.  Maybe they're not over-saturated, but they are a lot more prominent than they were in G-4.

Though I have to ask:  would it kill them to reveal just what a "Fire Alicorn" is---how that's different from any other kind of alicorn?  Or how Opaline got the idea in her head that she should be feared and worshipped?  Or how she lost her magic in the first place?  Or why she doesn't go into town, herself?  Or what exactly the story is behind why Twilight thought it was a smart idea to make those three crystals?  Or...

...Need I go on?

• Brohoof 1