Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What happened to all the mythological creatures prior to G5?

heavens-champion

It's quite noticeable that the manticores, chimeras, hydras, cockatrices, parasprites, minotaurs, and other magical creatures are missing in Generation 5, replaced with bunnicorns, pegasnails, etc. What happened to them all? Did they leave when the magic disappeared?

MLP story wise it doesn't make sense but from a corporate view it does actually.

It's just basically a way for to make more money and to entice little girls to be more interested in the show that's all.

In other words, I'd bet they think by replacing the manicures, hydras with more kid friendly stuff like "bunnicorns, pegaisnails etc they can entice more merchandise to be made and get better sales.

Finally, the most polite way I can put this without getting banned is that MLP like a lot of other cartoon reboots and newer versions is that it suffers BADLY from what I guess you could call the "overprotective bubble wrap syndrome." 

That's where they take whatever cartoon and REALLY, REALLY downgrade anything even remotely violent, aggressive, harmful etc etc to such an extreme point that you basically either get a babyish version of the show.

To the first you will notice that the quality goes almost near early childhood plot levels you know something " 'x' character has lost their shoe and they need to get ready for school can they find it time?" 

In other words, every other character is a Mary Sue, plot points are very weak easy to follow with little depth every single living creature is cute and cuddly, villians are incredibly childish and stupid etc.

So, yeah in universe there is no explanation but beyond that it's basically corporate greed (producers and or executive level NOT WRITERS OR VA ETC).