Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Even ARE Storm Creatures?

Widdershins

While it hasn't rightfully kept me from making an OC of one; the My Little Pony movie goes into no detail, from what I can find, of what the blue blazes a Storm Creature even is. They're the grunts of the Storm King's army, so It could be rightfully suspected that the Storm King himself counts as one, but from reading his entry on the MLP Wiki, it doesn't seem like they even knew what they were doing for long with his design. The best we have there is that he's just "satyr-like." At one point in the movie they call him cloven hooved, but we see his feet and they're two-toed and look soft at that. If even we can derive any sort of description from Storm Creatures from him.

Even in the movie, their faces are hidden in masks despite often showing them as rather expressive. Next to minotaurs, what we have here is possibly the most bipedal & humanoid species in Equestria and yet we shuffle them off as nothing more than faceless cannon fodder! Clearly, the Storm King had to come from somewheres, so there has to be more of his kind where he came from, if he didn't bring them along with in his conquests. 

Any theories? I'm kind of guessing something like a primate Yeti. The Storm King has been described as being similiar to the yeti that showed up in the Yakyakistan episode; known as Snowbutt McTinkles  by the artists who developed it.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I at first assumed that they were the same species as the Storm King that were wearing masks, but apparently those are their actual faces. Not only that, but they seem to have three-towed paws as opposed to Storm King's two-toed hooves. It's possible they may be related in some way, but I don't know if they've ever been given names. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, it can be assumed a bit that the one individual with importance shown would be made to look a bit different to show their story importance. They can't be replaceable clones and such, because jokes were made to show them as individuals capable of emotion or having idle, cute chitchat with each other.

• 1 year later...

Yeah like Queen Chrysalis is a Changeling even though she doesn't look like the others, and the Storm King is the leader of the storm creatures, so of course he's going to look different. I mean, think about it, King Thorax and Pharynx don't look like the other Changelings either.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/26/2017 at 4:55 PM, Rumpelstiltskin said:

I at first assumed that they were the same species as the Storm King that were wearing masks, but apparently those are their actual faces. Not only that, but they seem to have three-towed paws as opposed to Storm King's two-toed hooves. It's possible they may be related in some way, but I don't know if they've ever been given names. 

I always thought those were their faces. But according to the gameloft game, those are masks. It might be just a game, but the game tends to stick pretty close to the story. The developers seem to do a lot of research.

• Brohoof 1

@Dank Pony Child

Trouble is, that those masks are easily cried out of through the eyeholes in them. To me, they look as if they're intended to be the face.  .,..Doesn't the Gameloft game still have Limestone & Marble as fillies?

I don't know if hulking arm muscles is enough sole reason to denote them as gorilla-esque and I don't quite get the satyr descriptions. Considering hair at least and maybe remarkably flat and small skulls... Primate based does seem likely.

Which would make them technically the closest thing to Humans in Equestria! 

3 hours ago, Widdershins said:

@Dank Pony Child

Trouble is, that those masks are easily cried out of through the eyeholes in them. To me, they look as if they're intended to be the face.  .,..Doesn't the Gameloft game still have Limestone & Marble as fillies?

I don't know if hulking arm muscles is enough sole reason to denote them as gorilla-esque and I don't quite get the satyr descriptions. Considering hair at least and maybe remarkably flat and small skulls... Primate based does seem likely.

Which would make them technically the closest thing to Humans in Equestria! 

It might be one of those things where hasbro actually doesn’t have an answer to or just decided not to work on it, like lil cheese’s gender or where the royal sisters came from and lots more.

The face does seem to be a lot more baboon and primate like, so Yeti seems a likely candidate. Though Grubber did seem more structured like a dog or hyena to me anyway.

...of course, we never really got to see clearly what a Storm Creature's face actually looked like. We can though probably rightfully presume what their skeletal & muscle structure is.

We are guessing here, right?

Way to go Hasbro, for making a "canon" movie that integrates into the TV show itself, and didn't do any explanation of the bad guy or where he came from. :umad:

Looks like a yeti to me. Why would someone get so powerful and become a dictator and raised an army just because that someone was a yeti? It really leaves a lot of questions!

@Splashee

There's quite a fair bit more unexplained then that. Like, *cough*, perhaps how Rulers somehow are unprepared for a bomb being chucked at them... but that's opening up a whole new bag of gummy worms.

I have assumed that The Storm King gained an empire pretty much by Pirate Means. Essentially Smash & Grab tactics of whoever they came across. I believe, in the comics, the cat-people (Yes! Anthropomorphic Cats now cannon in Equestria! Furries are now viable in Horseland! Chaos Ensue!) of Ahbeseeinya were laid to waste by him... and he just moved on after he got what he came there for. He didn't stay to govern & rule, but decimated them... and I suppose, left them to rebuild. Perhaps not a Conquerer type, but none the less True Evil. And I think that's where it all started a sort of Warrior Class society of yeti people to whom strength was foremost and he won out because of his clever mind for tactics & leadership.

But... Like if there's anything actually Said from the show producers themselves... I would like to hear.

…. is he, like, an ancestor of the Arimaspi that never got developed either? 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I’m guessing some sort of cast system wich could explain why all foot soldiers of the storm kingdom look similar different species of yetis that are used for specific things in the storm kingdom like so I’m guessing they are related but it’s just only certain species of yeti can have certain jobs